DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini and Occusync?

ilovemyheckler

Reactions
I am looking for a small drone which is easy to carry around and I am considering a Mavic Mini. I may regret this living in the UK with our weather but thats another issue.
I already have a Mavic 2 Zoom with a smart controller which I love but would like something smaller which I can carry everywhere and fly when the opportunity arises.

Do DJI have any plans for introducing Occusync to the Mavic Mini?

Second that... No occusync for the Mini.

I have a Mini and live in a windier coastal region of the UK. There are days when it is definitely too windy to fly, but also many, many days when, with sensible precautions, it's fine to fly.

If your priority is small, lightweight and easy to carry then the Mini is the one to go for. You could get 2 for the price of a Mavic Air 2, and the MA2 is not that much smaller/lighter than the MP2z.
If your priority is long range/resistance to wind then the Mini may disappoint, especially as you'll be used to the capabilities of the MP2z.

Decide what is most important for you first before buying!

I have a Mini and am perfectly happy with it. I know it can't fly in stronger winds, and accept that limitation. It takes good photos/videos, has enough range for me and is fun to fly. I'd love an MA2, but can't justify spending that much more for the benefits it brings, and for the actual amount of flying I get to do.

@ilovemyheckler i am with @scro on this one ,my MPP is my go to drone for flying high and wide ,but for close up work flying in forests etc the MM is the perfect drone for the job,and as scro said a MA would be nice,but like him i cant justify it as my MPP does everything i need at the moment ,if i didn't already own my MPP or another larger mavic, then for the price of a MA2 combo i think that it is a good deal,maybe in the future,once all the updates have been addressed both with the app and the drone then i might consider a MA2

Reactions: scro
Honestly, for that purpose I recommend a Mavic Air (original) without question. When you consider that it doesn't require any controller at all (not even you phone if you want to control via Smart Capture), it is without question the best truly portable drone that DJI makes. I've also got a Mini. I've got a Mavic Air 2, I've got a Mavic 2 Zoom and a Parrot Anafi. Hands down, my Mavic Air is my go-to for grabbing and going for that just-in-case moment at the beach, on the golf course, etc. I annoys me to no end that you cannot fly the Mini without the RC. What a dumb decision that was from the Product Development folks at DJI looking to market the most portable and convenient drone in the lineup.

Don't even get me started about omitting Active Track. So what there is no obstacle avoidance. I'm not buying that explanation from DJI for a moment. My Anafi doesn't have any obstacle avoidance either. Why would it be OK for the MM to track you in a Quickshot without obstacle avoidance but not OK in Active Track.

I continue to cross my fingers that either DJI will build these into the next sofrware and firmware updates or at least get the SDK out so Litchi can clean this up.

Reactions: scro
@Scottalmas am curious to hear what the range for the Air1 is when just using your phone as the controller? I have a tello and the range can be surprisingly short, depending on phone model (eg video stutters at just 20m high, 50m horizontal). Fine for a quick simple shot where you just want a bit extra height, though.

Wifi repeater fixes that and gives 200-300m range comfortably.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR