DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini FCC in a CE country

vicmanhid

Reactions
Good day Folks, I live in the Philippines which is a CE country. I own a FCC variant of Mavic mini which came abroad. I'm wondering how can I use the full FCC features
knowing that i'm living in a CE country. I checked Youtube about it yet, most of the video shows only Mavic mini CE to FCC fake GPS hack. Honestly I tried the fake GPS hack in my Mavic mini FCC variant yet it feels like there's no significant change with the signal as well in the transmission graph shown inside the DJIi fly app. I'm not sure if i just need to use the stock FCC variant which i have and be contented with it. Tips and tricks and responses are greatly appreciated.

Good day Folks, I live in the Philippines which is a CE country. I own a FCC variant of Mavic mini which came abroad. I'm wondering how can I use the full FCC features
knowing that i'm living in a CE country. I checked Youtube about it yet, most of the video shows only Mavic mini CE to FCC fake GPS hack. Honestly I tried the fake GPS hack in my Mavic mini FCC variant yet it feels like there's no significant change with the signal as well in the transmission graph shown inside the DJIi fly app. I'm not sure if i just need to use the stock FCC variant which i have and be contented with it. Tips and tricks and responses are greatly appreciated.

Something is not right if you can only get the same range after installing the hack.

What range are you able to achieve ?

What is the procedure you are using to set the hack ?

What Fake GPS program are you using ?

Did you enable Developer Options and have you set the "Select mock location app" on your phone ? This is a part of the initial procedure that has been left out often by first time hack users.

I didn't think that the Mini was 'interchangeable'?
They are two seperate models??
If you have a FCC variant in CE land, doesn't it still fly in FCC power levels???
FWIW I don't have a mini, just interested in the answer..

if you own an FCC version, then it only has the 5.8 band, so no amount of hacking will change that, the RC and drone are different models to the CE version, which have dual bands 2.4 and 5.8, and work on a lower signal output than the US FCC version

Reactions: WooZie and Simmo
I didn't think that the Mini was 'interchangeable'?
They are two seperate models??
If you have a FCC variant in CE land, doesn't it still fly in FCC power levels???
FWIW I don't have a mini, just interested in the answer..

When the FCC version is in CE countries the 5.8 GHz transmission power is reduced to the level as stated in CE countries. This effectively cuts the power in half. When setting the Fake GPS hack the transmission power is restored because the drone thinks it is in the US/Canada.

Please note that this does not effect the RTH function as after takeoff the drone will connect and set the home point correctly.

I have both the FCC and CE version and fly both in SE Asia (the country I am in is a CE country). I do use the Fake GPS hack when I need better reception and distance. In the area I live in the 2.4 interference is heavy. I get full distance (as I would in the US) (so far 3200m) when flying my FCC model with the hack depending on the interference. I have gotten 1.3 km on my CE model using the hack in 5.8 MHz and without I could only get +- 700m. For whatever reason I get better reception when using the hack.

I have seen some comments saying that they do not see any range or connection improvements after installing the hack. One of the problems is that they install the Fake GPS app and run it without going to the Developer Options (in the phone settings) and making sure that the "Select mock location app" is set to the Fake GPS app. Please note that I use an Android phone. AFAIK there is no way to do this on an IOS phone. As others have stated, for an IOS phone user they must get access to an Android phone to set the hack (see the first YouTube vid below).

When setting the hack on a CE model it is easy to check that the hack is set by looking in the Fly transmission and checking that the 2.4 GHz shows only 11 channels.

When flying the FCC version and setting the hack the only way I have found if the hack is set is to fly and check the distance. If someone has found another way please post it.

Here is a comment that I copied from the Mavic Pilot site awhile ago. This person is in CE country with a CE model:

QUOTE Yes the hardware has been compared, there is an amplifier called Sky... something-something can't remember exactly just that it starts with a Sky and is an amplifier in the FCC version's Control(TX)! Soo we've already cracked and found out exactly how this all works, as I've reached out to DJI and asked them about this! DJI says that the FCC version has different hardware, hence the amplifier. Also I asked them what happens when I take my CE Mini to the US? DJI says that the Device will change its settings to produce more power ON THE SAME CIRCUIT! So even though there is no amplifier chip, DJI feeds more power to the transmitter when it's in 5.8ghz mode! This is the reason why the real FCC drone can fly over 4km and the CE drone can only fly 1.3km with 5.8ghz when Hacked and not the full 4km. If it also had the Sky amplifier chip then it would reach 4km, but as it doesn't have it - the best DJI could do is to just boost the power by a little to effectively double the CE 5.8ghz range. I've already tried it, and yes it does work. My CE Mini can reach over 1km in the City that is! before it could not go over 350m without extreme lag and the video feed would completely go away at about 450m in the city! So the FCC Hack most definitely does work, but it's only worth using if you can't manually switch over to 2.4ghz, as in 2.4ghz I get 2.3km easily in very low wifi areas. For me its really simple and easy to hack my Mini to be FCC, where it has 11 of the 2.4gz channels only. Honestly ever since I started flying with the FCC Hack my video feed is super stable, clear, and fluid with no lag, no chopping of the image nothing, just a really good and strong signal reception! I really hope that DJI would just make this an option, so we don't have to hack it. Or even permanently enable such power for the CE Mini, so it reaches over 1km in 5.8ghz, then we can still use the 2.4ghz for the rural areas. In the city I really do make use of the 1.3km range the CE Mini offers in 5.8ghz when FCC Hacked. I always check my channels, and if it is possible that I fly in 2,4ghz then I don't do the hack as its not needed(2.4ghz has just over 3km in rural areas - which is very nice)! UNQUOTE

Here are a couple YouTube vids that are useful.

This guy has a CE and explains how to set the hack.

Note that on the second vid he corrects a mistake on the first vid regarding disconnecting the phone sequence. Also note that he is setting the hack inside (no GPS reception). When setting the hack outside one must cover the drone until the hack is set so that the mini cannot get GPS reception.

This is a vid from Italy (in english) that explains the hack on an FCC model flying in Europe.

Here is a vid in Italian with English subtitles that explains the sequence setting outdoors using a cover.

Last edited:
Ok guys just a heads up. Hopefully we will have a new section for hacks just for the mini. At that time all hacking
threads will be moved there. If you havn't checked the box in your profile do so as if you don’t you will not see the threads.
Is the same in the other Mavic sections. Somethings we just
dont leave open for visitors to see . You can check that box at any time but it takes an hour for it to register.
As I said it should happen tomorrow but if not it won’t be
much longer after that.
Now carry on this is just a heads up on this. ?

Reactions: Thomas B
Ok guys just a heads up. Hopefully we will have a new section for hacks just for the mini. At that time all hacking
threads will be moved there. If you havn't checked the box in your profile do so as if you don’t you will not see the threads.
Is the same in the other Mavic sections. Somethings we just
dont leave open for visitors to see . You can check that box at any time but it takes an hour for it to register.
As I said it should happen tomorrow but if not it won’t be
much longer after that.
Now carry on this is just a heads up on this. ?

Please explain what box we need to check.
Tks

Please explain what box we need to check.
Tks
Click on your avatar go to your account and you will see this.
click it if you agree to it.
63FEF8F6-4DBF-4757-950D-32B8C35B91C8.jpeg

Reactions: Thomas B
Something is not right if you can only get the same range after installing the hack.

What range are you able to achieve ?

What is the procedure you are using to set the hack ?

What Fake GPS program are you using ?

Did you enable Developer Options and have you set the "Select mock location app" on your phone ? This is a part of the initial procedure that has been left out often by first time hack users.

yep i did mock locations developer options and debugging options. In my own observation no changes made though im still manage to reach 500m altitude and distance to a crowded urban area which is 2.4 congested

When the FCC version is in CE countries the 5.8 GHz transmission power is reduced to the level as stated in CE countries. This effectively cuts the power in half. When setting the Fake GPS hack the transmission power is restored because the drone thinks it is in the US/Canada.

Please note that this does not effect the RTH function as after takeoff the drone will connect and set the home point correctly.

I have both the FCC and CE version and fly both in SE Asia (the country I am in is a CE country). I do use the Fake GPS hack when I need better reception and distance. In the area I live in the 2.4 interference is heavy. I get full distance (as I would in the US) (so far 3200m) when flying my FCC model with the hack depending on the interference. I have gotten 1.3 km on my CE model using the hack in 5.8 MHz and without I could only get +- 700m. For whatever reason I get better reception when using the hack.

I have seen some comments saying that they do not see any range or connection improvements after installing the hack. One of the problems is that they install the Fake GPS app and run it without going to the Developer Options (in the phone settings) and making sure that the "Select mock location app" is set to the Fake GPS app. Please note that I use an Android phone. AFAIK there is no way to do this on an IOS phone. As others have stated, for an IOS phone user they must get access to an Android phone to set the hack (see the first YouTube vid below).

When setting the hack on a CE model it is easy to check that the hack is set by looking in the Fly transmission and checking that the 2.4 GHz shows only 11 channels.

When flying the FCC version and setting the hack the only way I have found if the hack is set is to fly and check the distance. If someone has found another way please post it.

Here is a comment that I copied from the Mavic Pilot site awhile ago. This person is in CE country with a CE model:

QUOTE Yes the hardware has been compared, there is an amplifier called Sky... something-something can't remember exactly just that it starts with a Sky and is an amplifier in the FCC version's Control(TX)! Soo we've already cracked and found out exactly how this all works, as I've reached out to DJI and asked them about this! DJI says that the FCC version has different hardware, hence the amplifier. Also I asked them what happens when I take my CE Mini to the US? DJI says that the Device will change its settings to produce more power ON THE SAME CIRCUIT! So even though there is no amplifier chip, DJI feeds more power to the transmitter when it's in 5.8ghz mode! This is the reason why the real FCC drone can fly over 4km and the CE drone can only fly 1.3km with 5.8ghz when Hacked and not the full 4km. If it also had the Sky amplifier chip then it would reach 4km, but as it doesn't have it - the best DJI could do is to just boost the power by a little to effectively double the CE 5.8ghz range. I've already tried it, and yes it does work. My CE Mini can reach over 1km in the City that is! before it could not go over 350m without extreme lag and the video feed would completely go away at about 450m in the city! So the FCC Hack most definitely does work, but it's only worth using if you can't manually switch over to 2.4ghz, as in 2.4ghz I get 2.3km easily in very low wifi areas. For me its really simple and easy to hack my Mini to be FCC, where it has 11 of the 2.4gz channels only. Honestly ever since I started flying with the FCC Hack my video feed is super stable, clear, and fluid with no lag, no chopping of the image nothing, just a really good and strong signal reception! I really hope that DJI would just make this an option, so we don't have to hack it. Or even permanently enable such power for the CE Mini, so it reaches over 1km in 5.8ghz, then we can still use the 2.4ghz for the rural areas. In the city I really do make use of the 1.3km range the CE Mini offers in 5.8ghz when FCC Hacked. I always check my channels, and if it is possible that I fly in 2,4ghz then I don't do the hack as its not needed(2.4ghz has just over 3km in rural areas - which is very nice)! UNQUOTE

Here are a couple YouTube vids that are useful.

This guy has a CE and explains how to set the hack.

Note that on the second vid he corrects a mistake on the first vid regarding disconnecting the phone sequence. Also note that he is setting the hack inside (no GPS reception). When setting the hack outside one must cover the drone until the hack is set so that the mini cannot get GPS reception.

This is a vid from Italy (in english) that explains the hack on an FCC model flying in Europe.

Here is a vid in Italian with English subtitles that explains the sequence setting outdoors using a cover.

Hi there so based on your experience of having both CE and FCC version of Mavic Mini which would you recommend for me living in the UK. Would you go with CE model and use hack for better distance on 5.8ghz band or but an FCC version from abroad and always Use hack to gain full 5.8ghz power? Many thanks

Hi there so based on your experience of having both CE and FCC version of Mavic Mini which would you recommend for me living in the UK. Would you go with CE model and use hack for better distance on 5.8ghz band or but an FCC version from abroad and always Use hack to gain full 5.8ghz power? Many thanks

Hello,

A lot depends on where you are living and where you prefer to fly. If you are in a urban area with wifi disturbance I would go with the FCC version. If you are out in the rural areas the CE version is fine.

Using the hack is simple and even if you have to redo it, it only takes a minute or so (if you have an android phone). I've lost the hack on occasion due to my own mistake of not disconnecting the phone before turning off the mini. but as stated, it only takes a minute to redo it.

If I could only have one version of the mini I would get the FCC model. Initially, I could only get the CE model and I was rather disappointed with it due to the range limitations due to the interference. When I was able to get the FCC model and use the hack life was much better....

If you go with the CE, there are ways to extend the distance by installing other antennas. 4Hawks and Alientech among others sell those packages. If you are experienced in working on electronic equipment you could install it yourself or if not, you could take your remote control to a drone shop and most can install for you. Probably, many in the UK also carry them.

Having said that, depending on what you are planning to do with the drone there is the Mavic Air 2. I've ordered one and although the price is basically double the price of the Mini the Ocusync 2 and the other advantages of the Air 2 it is a good buy. It's still small enough to carry around and the advantages over many other drones is so far amazing...

As I don't live in the UK I don't know about the upcoming registration and regulations there. One needs to look into that and see what advantages the mini would have over the Air 2 in that regard.

Enjoy..

Hi @Gary R

i received a Mavic mini fcc recently as a gift from the states.

I also currently own a CE version, I live in the U.K.

In terms of range and performance, shall I keep the FCC instead? One has to be sold.

many thanks

neel

If you can please take a flow test and share them with us
They would also be useful to you, they would help you decide which one to keep

Hi vadda,

and what do you mean by flow test? Would rather not open the FCC unless I know I’m keeping it... as soon as I open the seal, that’s 15% of value gone!

Hi @Gary R

i received a Mavic mini fcc recently as a gift from the states.

I also currently own a CE version, I live in the U.K.

In terms of range and performance, shall I keep the FCC instead? One has to be sold.

many thanks

neel

I've put below a copy of a response I sent out yesterday. I pretty much explains my view on the FCC and CE models.

Have you flown both of your minis ? If so, were you successful with the hack ? You need to try and see what your results are..

If the FCC model was a gift then I assume you are not out any money. If you keep both you still have extra batteries etc for your other.

You can use the hack on your CE model. It only helps when flying in the 5.8 GHz but it only increases the transmission output a bit, not the same as the FCC model. When using the hack on my CE model I more of less doubled the range I was getting before in the 5.8 GHz band.

Fly safe....

-----------------------
Hello,

A lot depends on where you are living and where you prefer to fly. If you are in a urban area with wifi disturbance I would go with the FCC version. If you are out in the rural areas the CE version is fine.

Using the hack is simple and even if you have to redo it, it only takes a minute or so (if you have an android phone). I've lost the hack on occasion due to my own mistake of not disconnecting the phone before turning off the mini. but as stated, it only takes a minute to redo it.

If I could only have one version of the mini I would get the FCC model. Initially, I could only get the CE model and I was rather disappointed with it due to the range limitations due to the interference. When I was able to get the FCC model and use the hack life was much better....

If you go with the CE, there are ways to extend the distance by installing other antennas. 4Hawks and Alientech among others sell those packages. If you are experienced in working on electronic equipment you could install it yourself or if not, you could take your remote control to a drone shop and most can install for you. Probably, many in the UK also carry them.

Having said that, depending on what you are planning to do with the drone there is the Mavic Air 2. I've ordered one and although the price is basically double the price of the Mini the Ocusync 2 and the other advantages of the Air 2 it is a good buy. It's still small enough to carry around and the advantages over many other drones is so far amazing...

As I don't live in the UK I don't know about the upcoming registration and regulations there. One needs to look into that and see what advantages the mini would have over the Air 2 in that regard.

Thanks for the response @Gary R

so currently I am getting 1,200m before I’m cutting out on the 2.4ghz. With FCC hack I’m still getting less than the 24ghz (1,200m), same location on the 5.8ghz.

will the FCC model with hack improve this range on the 5.8ghz It only offers? Therefore bettering the range of1,200?

Thanks for the response @Gary R

so currently I am getting 1,200m before I’m cutting out on the 2.4ghz. With FCC hack I’m still getting less than the 24ghz (1,200m), same location on the 5.8ghz.

will the FCC model with hack improve this range on the 5.8ghz It only offers? Therefore bettering the range of1,200?

My experience is for the CE on 5.8 GHz without the hack and stock antenna is 700m. With the hack I got almost 1400. The FCC transmission power on the CE is very low. Bearing in mind this was in a highly infected wifi area.

I'm sure you will get better range on both the CE and FCC channels if you start using a range extender of sorts. I tried the "reflective" extender (looking like 2 beer cans) and got mixed results. I then went to 4hawks and put in the modified antenna wires and connections and tried the following:

1) Raptor OD omnidirectional antenna. I was able to get another 150m on the 2.4 (no hack) and 225 on the 5.8 using the hack.

2) Raptor SR directional antenna. I was able to get another 275m on the 2.4 (no hack) and almost 500m on the 5.8 using the hack.

Note that this is highly dependent on the area and weather.

Another option that some of my friends say is a good option and cheap is getting a couple ALFA APA-M25 antennas.

Here's a link to that:

Or, search ALFA-M25 antenna on You Tube.

It is not clear if he is using the hack or not but he is on the 5.8GHz channel according to the comments on his video.

This guy is in Malaysia close to Kuala Lumpur and the wifi in his area is very infected. The ALFA antennas are pretty cheap (US$ 15-20 each) and available online in many places. You will have to get the wires and install them in your RC. It's pretty easy but if you are not inclined to get into your RC most drone or RC shops can do it for you. They may also have the wires but if not you can order online from 4hawks (US$22) (under accessories)

or other places online. The wires and connections will fit most all 3rd party antennas that you can get with an RP-SMA connection.

Fly safe....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent