DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini in the wind.

Hughes820

Reactions
I have been avoiding wind with the mini for months now but had to try it in some heavy wind gusts! To be honest iam impressed! A bit sketchy and the mini seemed to loose signal quite a bit so anyone who is new to drones wait on the wind or you will more than likely end up loosing your mini. Here’s my wind conditions.3474A1CC-6D8E-4884-9F3B-328414AFF8F3.png

Reactions: kidroc
I flew mine in 20-25mph winds and felt like it handled just fine--and I was flying over and near a lake! Granted, I didn't let it get too far away or too high, and I made sure to bring it home with 40% or more battery and flew it INTO the wind on the way out. Honestly, I was impressed with how well it handled :)

I flew mine in 20-25mph winds and felt like it handled just fine--and I was flying over and near a lake! Granted, I didn't let it get too far away or too high, and I made sure to bring it home with 40% or more battery and flew it INTO the wind on the way out. Honestly, I was impressed with how well it handled :)

It actually handles really well in the wind and you hit the key thing right there that the wind may not take it down but having the power to get back is a issue so plan ahead. Dont fly with the wind them come back against it and save 50% to make your way back if dont want to risk it.

That being said, i love my mini but i bought the air 2 specifically because of that wind warning coming up to much on days i didnt feel it needed to. Love them both just different applications.

My last 9 flights in a row, it has given me high wind warnings, I ignore them, and keep flying. The mini is vastly more capable than many give it credit for. Just keep it in sport mode, that adds a significant amount of power for it to use while fighting the wind.

I suspect that a great percentage of fly aways are due to flying out with the wind combined with too aggressive battery confidence. I believe I read somewhere that you get more battery time from 100-50%, than 50-0%. In any event, if one uses common sense, the MM is more capable in wind than it gets credit for.

I suspect that a great percentage of fly aways are due to flying out with the wind combined with too aggressive battery confidence. I believe I read somewhere that you get more battery time from 100-50%, than 50-0%. In any event, if one uses common sense, the MM is more capable in wind than it gets credit for.
I agree with your comments.

Unfortunately it's not like a car, when the tank is 50-0% the car weighs less and you should get better mileage...

Reactions: Dbez1
Hi there! About flying INTO the wind i have a question: today i was returning my MM flying against wind and i felt that the MM was stucked! I mean: full trottle ahead and the Mini doesn t move.... i thought that the RC right control was not working ! Did you experience anything similar? It is possible that the power of the MM equally the power of the wind staying without moving at all?

It is possible that the power of the MM equally the power of the wind staying without moving at all?

The maximum speed of the Mini is 29mph (from the User Manual). So if the wind is 30mph or more, it won't have any forward groundspeed no matter how much you push the stick forward. This is probably the biggest cause of so-called flyaways - the Mini simply can't return to you because the wind is blowing it away faster than it can fly over the ground. Remember that wind speed generally increases with height so if it feels a little windy on the ground, it's likely to be much more windy at 300ft or higher.

The maximum speed of the Mini is 29mph (from the User Manual). So if the wind is 30mph or more, it won't have any forward groundspeed no matter how much you push the stick forward. This is probably the biggest cause of so-called flyaways - the Mini simply can't return to you because the wind is blowing it away faster than it can fly over the ground. Remember that wind speed generally increases with height so if it feels a little windy on the ground, it's likely to be much more windy at 300ft or higher.
Many thanks for your reply, so you confirm my thoughts!

Stay safe

Reactions: rickfmdj
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54