DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini near crash at Mountain top

Paleomanjim

Reactions
After reading about Motor issues as well as propeller issues I thought I would post this video of a flight 2 weeks ago with my Mavic Mini. I was ascending to the top of an 800' mountain and got uncomfortably close to the rocks. I steered away and began to descend when the Mini suddenly dropped uncontrollably and appeared to come close to crashing. I still have no idea what happened or what caused it. Any thoughts?

To be honest and logs aside, I'd suggest that, to get away from the mountian, you would have done better to back away and or climb.
If you just 'turn' the drone takes some time to 'lose' all of its original direction speed. At a guess the faster you are travelling the longer it takes to lose the original direction speed.
I think I am correct in saying that drones to not bank to turn and thus they 'side slip' for a while after turning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Looks like loss of lift (stall). No air, most likely a downdraft, as previously stated. Logs probably a little strange at that point in flight.
Glad it’s safe. ?

Thanks for the reply's. Question: How do I get the flight data to record onto the low resolution cached video stored on the phone? Many videos on Youtube show the low resolution phone video as a subset in the larger video with the flight data clearly shown. This would be helpful, thanks for any advice.

I still have no idea what happened or what caused it. Any thoughts?
If you are wanting help with this, go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

If that was the Lee side of the hill, you always have to be extra careful on the Lee side.

Just like an actual helicopter, a drone is subject to up, and down drafts. If I have to approach a hill on the Lee side in a helicopter or airplane, I do very cautiously, as down drafts have killed many pilots.

If that was the Lee side of the hill, you always have to be extra careful on the Lee side.

Just like an actual helicopter, a drone is subject to up, and down drafts. If I have to approach a hill on the Lee side in a helicopter or airplane, I do very cautiously, as down drafts have killed many pilots.

After studying the flight data in detail I think you are probably right. The data shows the drone pausing and just hovering right before the fall, then dropping 11' in 3 seconds before recovering. I did apply left stick down around 1/2 way at that time, but I don't think that could account for that fast of a drop (close to free fall). Looking at other flights I can see the flight date recorder is a valuable post flight tool. I am truly surprised that so much data can be constantly recorded and stored. It is the sort of data I would expect to see on an airliner black box and knowing its on the Mini is really cool! Thanks folks, I am still learning.

After studying the flight data in detail I think you are probably right. The data shows the drone pausing and just hovering right before the fall, then dropping 11' in 3 seconds before recovering. I did apply left stick down around 1/2 way at that time, but I don't think that could account for that fast of a drop (close to free fall). Looking at other flights I can see the flight date recorder is a valuable post flight tool. I am truly surprised that so much data can be constantly recorded and stored. It is the sort of data I would expect to see on an airliner black box and knowing its on the Mini is really cool! Thanks folks, I am still learning.
It sounds like we're not going to see the data?
It could be that experienced eyes might see more in it that you.

What data are you studying from the question you asked a couple posts previous you are just looking at the basic telemetry (altitude distance speed ect) not sure if you have air data but if not I definitely recommend Drone Data Management and Flight Analysis | Airdata UAV the free account is fine and will show you the more in depth flight info and then the wizards that are here on the site can take that and wave their wand and get the nitty gritty stuff and without a doubt tell ya the precise reason for what happened. Also as to the question of how to get the telemetry in the phone video.. screen recording app lots of those around then you start recording and what you see on the phone is what the video will be... id like to see you put the log up so we can determine exactly what happend

What data are you studying from the question you asked a couple posts previous you are just looking at the basic telemetry (altitude distance speed ect) not sure if you have air data but if not I definitely recommend Drone Data Management and Flight Analysis | Airdata UAV the free account is fine and will show you the more in depth flight info and then the wizards that are here on the site can take that and wave their wand and get the nitty gritty stuff and without a doubt tell ya the precise reason for what happened. Also as to the question of how to get the telemetry in the phone video.. screen recording app lots of those around then you start recording and what you see on the phone is what the video will be... id like to see you put the log up so we can determine exactly what happend

I used the "Flight Data Center" and studied that particular flight. I did try downloading the data on to my computer, but the file was just computer code, unreadable and apparently must be opened with a proper program to read.
A big thanks for suggesting to use a screen recording app. I added the app "Screen Recorder" to my iPhone this morning and that looks like it will do the job. One concern I have is getting the GPS coordinates. I have had several RTH and other alarm situations and figure eventually the drone will go down in the desert somewhere. If the battery is low I would like to be able to find the GPS coordinates for the crash location. Any suggestions appreciated.

I still have no idea what happened or what caused it. Any thoughts?
Any suggestions appreciated.
It was almost a week ago that you asked for help, you've had several suggestions, but have completely ignored them.
I don't get it.
I did try downloading the data on to my computer, but the file was just computer code, unreadable and apparently must be opened with a proper program to read.
When the NTSB want to find out the cause of an airplane crash, the investigators look at the recorded flight data
It's the same for a puzzling drone incident.
What's unreadable computer code to you is data that tells a story for others.
One concern I have is getting the GPS coordinates. I have had several RTH and other alarm situations and figure eventually the drone will go down in the desert somewhere.
If the battery is low I would like to be able to find the GPS coordinates for the crash location.
It's all in the data.

It was almost a week ago that you asked for help, you've had several suggestions, but have completely ignored them.
I don't get it.

When the NTSB want to find out the cause of an airplane crash, the investigators look at the recorded flight data
It's the same for a puzzling drone incident.
What's unreadable computer code to you is data that tells a story for others.

It's all in the data.
I ignored no one, and thanked those who replied with helpful suggestions. I will pass on yours.

I ignored no one, but thanked those who replied with helpful suggestions. I will pass on yours.
Rubbish ... you listened to a few people make guesses without any knowledge of what actually happened.
If you don't know what happened, you can't advise.
Why do you ask for help when you don't want any?
Good luck bumbling on without any facts.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada