DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini on vacation

Stryder

Reactions
Hi everyone ,

HI from Ontario Canada

New to drones and this forum, recently purchased a Mavic mini and getting familiar with the craft and learning to fly safely and make images.

Did a quick check on the forum as well as UAVCOACH for info.

Going on vacation in early summer to Jamaica and as wondering what the other members do and their experiences to prepare to take their craft to fly while on vacation in general and Jamaica in particular.

this would be a family vacation

here are my questions
  • As I have the mini and under the 250 grams , Do you just take your chances and transport in your carry on , how do you deal with the customs agents regarding why ?
  • Do you find it wise/beneficial to check with the countries Aircraft regulators first ??
  • what sort of documents do you generally bring in regards to the drone?
  • What precautions do you take when transporting the batteries - I was thinking of bringing the three in the battery charger/case.
  • What apps do you use to find your safe fly zones when in other countries?
  • I would not be surprised to find I not allowed to fly at a resort, however what experiences have you had -has anyone just asked either ahead of time or at the front desk where/ when you can fly at the resort- example- the safe places, times to fly the drone (early morning, rear of the property etc?.
  • Of course as a new pilot and a guest in another's country I plan to fly in a respectful, safe manner just trying to avoid losing my new craft and a fine, jail.

Thanks in advance for any advice and real world experiences :)

Stryder

Firstly, and most importantly. Make sure you can take your drone to the country you’re travelling to first. in Some countries it’s outright illegal to take a drone to, never mind fly one (Morocco for example), and it will be confiscated.

Secondly, if you can take your drone - see what legal requirements there are. Do you need to register your drone? Do you need to register as a pilot? (Here in the UK youd need to do both). Do you need insurance?

Thirdly, you’ll need to check with your airline on their drone policy. Most of the airlines I’ve flown with require the drone in hand luggage, batteries removed, and battery terminals covered. I used a limo protection bag.

Reactions: Stryder
Firstly, and most importantly. Make sure you can take your drone to the country you’re travelling to first. in Some countries it’s outright illegal to take a drone to, never mind fly one (Morocco for example), and it will be confiscated.

Secondly, if you can take your drone - see what legal requirements there are. Do you need to register your drone? Do you need to register as a pilot? (Here in the UK youd need to do both). Do you need insurance?

Thirdly, you’ll need to check with your airline on their drone policy. Most of the airlines I’ve flown with require the drone in hand luggage, batteries removed, and battery terminals covered. I used a limo protection bag.
Thank you Lastrexking

[/QUOTE]

Lastrexking-Thank for the tips and clarification - will look into these.

I was just in Kingston Jamiaca with my MM.
no issues taking it as carry on in my back pack. No issues at customs. They may ask what it is. Just tell them. No issues.
Where will you be staying. As you know you can’t fly over people so be aware of where you fly.

Jamiaca is very windy. I only was able to get in two flights due to the wind.

I’m back there Feb 28th and will try to fly again if the wind cooperates with me.

Currently in Hawaii on Kauai and its too windy to fly. 10fps at the low end.

Where in Canada are you from?

Safe flights.

I was just in Kingston Jamiaca with my MM.
no issues taking it as carry on in my back pack. No issues at customs. They may ask what it is. Just tell them. No issues.
Where will you be staying. As you know you can’t fly over people so be aware of where you fly.

Jamiaca is very windy. I only was able to get in two flights due to the wind.

I’m back there Feb 28th and will try to fly again if the wind cooperates with me.

Currently in Hawaii on Kauai and its too windy to fly. 10fps at the low end.

Where in Canada are you from?

Safe flights.
Black314 - Thanks for the reply and real world experience.!! encouraging and helpful.
I was suspecting the wind could be a factor :). I have been using the UAV forecast app to help me with the fly /no fly conditions. Did you reach out to the Jamaican air authority before you arrived or just travelled - I assume the latter.
we will be on a resort near runaway bay, I hope to make use of the early mornings for less wind and less crowds for the drone flights.
I am in Brampton , Ontario

safe flights and fun adventures

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo