DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Propellors

TheSchwieg

Reactions
Hi. I just bought a Mavic Mini about 3 weeks ago. How often should I aim to change the propellor blades? Also, does using aftermarket blades void the warranty?

Be careful on how you store the Mavic Mini blades as they can warp easily giving you the dreaded ESC motor error stating you need to change the blades on the beeping motor (that is how the MM is programmed to identify the faulty blades). The proper storage position is directly across the body between the motors (there should be a label in the case showing the proper storage position). I use a couple of velcro strips straddling the blades to hold them in the storage position as it places no warping stress on the blades (and is just as good if not better than some of the commercial storage equipment you will see online). You can see YouTube videos on MM propeller DIY storage ideas.

That said, don't throw the blades out when you do a change for a ESC motor error! You can storage them together for a few days in a warm area taped together so they can reform. I had one blade that was badly warped and I was able to get it back into useable shape by pressing it with my warm fingers for about five minutes (I didn't have spares with me at the time and wanted to fly!)! I expected to get the ESC motor error when I attempted to fly again but it didn't happen so I was able to fly again...still have those blades on! Do use the new screws that come with a replacement blade set. If you choose to use the old set of blades and screws again, use a resetable screw locker to secure them in place. I failed to do that on a blade change and promptly lost the blade when I started up after changing the blades.

Happy Flying
John

Reactions: 72evenant and ff22
Be careful on how you store the Mavic Mini blades as they can warp easily giving you the dreaded ESC motor error stating you need to change the blades on the beeping motor (that is how the MM is programmed to identify the faulty blades). The proper storage position is directly across the body between the motors (there should be a label in the case showing the proper storage position). I use a couple of velcro strips straddling the blades to hold them in the storage position as it places no warping stress on the blades (and is just as good if not better than some of the commercial storage equipment you will see online). You can see YouTube videos on MM propeller DIY storage ideas.
Unfortunately, that DJI label promotes a way of storing the Mini that DOES warp the rear prop blades! There are a couple of threads in this Forum that document extensive testing (Mavic Mini uncommanded descent tests) and provide a reason why the Mavic Mini gets a motor over-speed condition, and 'uncommanded descents' due to the rear motors not being able to provide thrust at high motor speeds.
In essence, when the rear motor arms are folded forward on the underside of the MM, the motors sit with a slight outward canter (about 5 degrees). That means that if you mesh the prop blades across the body of the MM, like the DJI illustration shows, then the blades (except for the one on top) are put under pressure and bent in toward the body of the Mavic Mini. This pressure flattens the blades and reduces their pitch. If the Mini is put away like this after a flight while the body is still hot, then this can further accelerate the tendency for the rear props to be 'warped' away from their factory shape. If you want to preserve the shape and capabilities of the rear props on a Mavic Mini, then you need a different flight-bag, that allows you to stow the Mav Mini folded, with the props sitting along the swing-arms - like the DJI photos show ...
dji-mavic-mini-drone-7.jpg

Hi. I just bought a Mavic Mini about a day ago and have flown it to 3 batteries discharged (with prop guards on).
Reading this thread I'wondering if would it be better to just store it with the prop guards on and the props positioned however they want to hang..

Hi. I just bought a Mavic Mini about a day ago and have flown it to 3 batteries discharged (with prop guards on).
Reading this thread I'wondering if would it be better to just store it with the prop guards on and the props positioned however they want to hang..
I agree with that - as long as the props are allowed to sit in a way where they are not forced under/over each other - or another part of the Mavic - then they will maintain their shape and work as they should.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123