DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini sun shade

I have this one... $7 from Amazon. Works as intended. With some velcro and gaffers tape, maybe some cardboard, I could easily create an extension if I wanted one. Not too hard to manipulate the screen, though you have to approach it only from the front as the side is blocked. No big deal. It might slow you down a hair, but you can always twist the controller for easier access with whatever hand you wish to touch the screen with...

... Now that you got me thinking about it, I'm right handed, but I tend to use my left hand to for most of the screen functions, except maybe exposure control where I occasionally use my right. Interesting.

I have a Mavic mini. I have noticed some flare from the sun in one of my videos and wondered if the sun shade would be a good investment.

From what I've read, they're a good investment and also protect the gimbal. But the op was asking about shades for his phone on the controller

The DJI Mavic Pro sun shade works on the MM controller, just slots in over the antennas, this gives better access to the screen and control sticks than those sun shades that hook onto the device.

I have this one but to be truthful i find it a pain in the Butt. constantly flops forwards and backwards as you adjust the angle of your controller and i am always in fear that it will snap the ariels off

I have this one but to be truthful i find it a pain in the Butt. constantly flops forwards and backwards as you adjust the angle of your controller and i am always in fear that it will snap the ariels off
Yeah... Looks like it has a pretty long lever arm.

As noted above, I have one that attaches to the phone and with a little velcro and some ingenuity can be built up for more effective shading.

Hi cweam,
I bought an antireflex screen. It works perfect an I can see everyting on the screen, even if the sun shines on it!
below with antireflex
cheers Paul
View attachment 106813Could you specify what antireflex screen you bought. I bought the Dji monitor hood for controller, (mini 2) and I still need to get under a tree or some other shade to see the screen. thanks!

Hi cweam,
I bought an antireflex screen. It works perfect an I can see everyting on the screen, even if the sun shines on it!
below with antireflex
cheers Paul
View attachment 106813
Hi Paul

This almost sounds too good to be true! Are you sure this works in even bright sunshine? I see on 3M website they only mention changing indoor lighting conditions?

I really want you to have discovered something amazing here!

Cheers

Andrew

I'm trying an alternate idea I thought of, but thanks for the product info. If this mod works, I'll post the details.

This almost sounds too good to be true! Are you sure this works in even bright sunshine? I see on 3M website they only mention changing indoor lighting conditions?

I really want you to have discovered something amazing here!
Hi Andrew, yes it works very well! I use the antireflex foils on my smarthphone, the screen of my Sony A 6300 and on the monitor of my Hero7!

cheers Paul

Hi Andrew, yes it works very well! I use the antireflex foils on my smarthphone, the screen of my Sony A 6300 and on the monitor of my Hero7!

cheers Paul
Well Paul....

I have to say I was a skeptic but I went out and purchased one of these Samsung Galaxy S9 Matte Anti-Glare Glass Screen Protector for my Samsung S9

I have been mucking around with goggles, screen hoods, you name it but with this screen protector/glare reducer and the 1130 nits of the Samsung S9 I could see really well!!

Thank you so much just went out in bright direct sunlight and could see all screen details no problem :)

Very happy and thank you so much!!

Cheers

Andrew

Well Paul....

I have to say I was a skeptic but I went out and purchased one of these Samsung Galaxy S9 Matte Anti-Glare Glass Screen Protector for my Samsung S9

I have been mucking around with goggles, screen hoods, you name it but with this screen protector/glare reducer and the 1130 nits of the Samsung S9 I could see really well!!

Thank you so much just went out in bright direct sunlight and could see all screen details no problem :)

Very happy and thank you so much!!
Hi Andrew,
I am very glad to read that you got the antiglare and that you are fully satified with the results!???
You´r welcome!
Have a nice day and happy flying with the antiglare?
cheers Paul

I bought several different kinds of sunshade and frankly, some are better than others but in bright sunlight they are all rubbish! No matter how you try to shield the sunlight, they all get reflection.

Don't get me wrong you can still sort of see the screen but you have absolutely no chance of reading any of the important text, like "SD card full" for example! (That happened to me at a family member's wedding).

I ended up making my own, or rather making dozens and dozens of different ones until I found one that worked in even the brightest sunlight!

If it helps anyone, I made a video of the sunshade itself..... but sorry I didn't do a video on how to make it.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
I'm hearing you, made something very similar Super Cheap, Super effective sunshade for when really bright but also found a phone anti glare protector quite useful too. But I think a full on shade is way to go for maximum clarity. I use bluetooth mouse to control phone so don't need access to phone itself .
That's so similar to my tenth attempt and much better than anything you can buy!

For me though, light leakage was still a problem in brilliant sun (which was most times I wanted to film)...even with anti-glare protector.... hence eye hole cut outs and then the need for nose cut out! In addition, I wanted the option to use tablet (for which I don't require glasses) or my phone (for which I do).... hence the built in magnification in the eye cups.... and the need for clamp extension.

I can now read the smallest text (every detail on the screen) in the brightest sun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78