DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro on Flight Radar App?

Emsflyer84

Reactions
Hey all, I know there was at least one other discussion on this before but this is the first time I’ve seen it. I like to use the Flight Radar app just for fun and today I saw a drone icon on the map showing a Mavic Pro flying at almost 6000’ at 168mph....? The ID # was N12345 and it flew a 40 minute flight from Boston to Lebanon, NH. I assume this is just a glitch in the system, just interesting to see a drone icon in the app. Thanks guys!

screenshot

I suspect it was on a private aircraft and powered on (accidentally). That altitude and speed would be indicative of a Cessna, Beechcraft or other such aircraft.

Reactions: dirkclod
I suspect it was on a private aircraft and powered on (accidentally). That altitude and speed would be indicative of a Cessna, Beechcraft or other such aircraft.
Possibly, but then I looked at flight history and there were several logged flights for this aircraft in the system. Very odd. Thanks.

Assuming it was a special limited edition Mavic Pro that had with an ADS-B receiver it still wouldn’t be seen by any air map ground stations- obviously given none of the DJI hobby grade drones currently fly with ADS-B transmit capability. The other dead give away is the serial number, what are the chances of a 12345 serial#.

It’s a glitch or a test.

Assuming it was a special limited edition Mavic Pro that had with an ADS-B receiver it still wouldn’t be seen by any air map ground stations- obviously given none of the DJI hobby grade drones currently fly with ADS-B transmit capability. The other dead give away is the serial number, what are the chances of a 12345 serial#.

It’s a glitch or a test.
That's the tail number for anything over 55 pounds, the serial number is something off the mavic itself (if that's what it actually is). It is listed in the registry as a mavic pro rotocraft, but it definitely can't go that high or that fast.

That's the tail number for anything over 55 pounds, the serial number is something off the mavic itself (if that's what it actually is). It is listed in the registry as a mavic pro rotocraft, but it definitely can't go that high or that fast.
I should have said registration- What is the chance, however it might be derived that it might include 12345 in sequence?

I should have said registration- What is the chance, however it might be derived that it might include 12345 in sequence?
Agreed, that “tail number” might just be automatically generated by the FlightRadar app if there is no tail number to report. I see the info on the Mavic 3 will report ADS-B so maybe this was some kind of test... I don’t know enough about it all to know....

Agreed, that “tail number” might just be automatically generated by the FlightRadar app if there is no tail number to report. I see the info on the Mavic 3 will report ADS-B so maybe this was some kind of test... I don’t know enough about it all to know....
The registration shows that it is a mavic pro from NY...but not sure why someone would register a pounder when it needs to be 55 pounds...something funny about this.

It was previously registered to a real old airplane parked in a museum and the registration expired.

Maybe a plane had someone in it that had a Mavic and had it powered up just videoing out the window kinda like Doom said.
Did it with a P3 sitting in my floorboard with out props driving
down the road to have a high speed in my flight record for a joke
one time ?

Maybe a plane had someone in it that had a Mavic and had it powered up just videoing out the window kinda like Doom said.
Did it with a P3 sitting in my floorboard with out props driving
down the road to have a high speed in my flight record for a joke
one time ?
Again, there were several flights logged in this app showing this same aircraft.

That could explain flying at almost 6000’ at 168mph.
There's still the issue that Mavics don't have an ADSB-out transponder.

That could explain flying at almost 6000’ at 168mph.
There's still the issue that Mavics don't have an ADSB-out transponder.
Well was a thought ?

Here's Flightradar's own explanation:

It was also discussed here a couple of years ago:
And details of the Mavic that is actually registered with that number:

Here's Flightradar's own explanation:

It was also discussed here a couple of years ago:
And details of the Mavic that is actually registered with that number:
I think you have to use the icao to encode into your transponder that matches what is expected for the tailnumber.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3