DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Platinum - vs - Mavic 2 Zoom - vs - Mavic 2 Pro

Happy Hope

Reactions
I have a MPP, and I'm really happy with it, but still thinking about upgrading. My question is, can someone tell me the pro's and con's of the three Mavic's ? (MPP, M2Z and M2P).

1. Compare Camera quality's ?
2. Compare Features like active track, obstacle avoidance sensors
3. Do the three of them have Inter-changeable parts and batteries ?

Thanks in advance....

No, interchangeable parts unfortunately

Here are the major difference, the question is whether you would ever make use of the added features.

I'm actually preferring the MPP at the moment as I can fly it around and not be scared of loosing or damaging it as it will be cheap to replace or repair.
Your probably not going to need 4k 30p if your just posting up to youtube a couple of times.

Last edited:
1 - The Mavic 2 Pro has the much larger 1in sensor whereas the Mavic 2 Zoom and the original Mavic Pro use a smaller 1/2.3in sensor similar to what's used in mobile phones. The main benefit of the 1in sensor to me is the wider dynamic range but you need to process the raw files to get that advantage and if you're using the pictures automatically straight from the drone you won't see the benefit. I've seen a reasonable number of users here who are disappointed they paid more for the M2P and were not seeing the benefits. The Mavic 2 Zoom's camera advantage is more straightforward in that you get a 2x optical zoom

2 - The Mavic 2 series have obstacle avoidance sensors all round although personally I avoid doing anything risky with the drone, the sensors are far from foolproof

3 - The Mavic 2 series bodies are identical and it's only the camera/gimbal parts that are different, there's no compatibility with any of the parts with the original Mavic Pro.

I bought a Mavic Pro just after launch and then upgraded to a Mavic 2 Pro shortly after its launch because I wanted the larger sensor. I mostly use full frame sensor cameras and found the small 1/2.3in sensor frustrating to work with on the original Mavic Pro since there's not much you can do with the raw files from it which is typical of a sensor that size. There are other small upgrades on the Mavic 2 series which I appreciate but I wouldn't have upgraded for them on their own without the upgrade.

if you have use for the extra sensors and camera upgrade of the M2P then by all means go for it ,if like myself and i expect many others on the forum ,you are happy with what the MPP can and does do very reliably ,at a reasonable cost ,and over a long period of time ,then for all that the extra costs of an upgrade to the second gen mavics would entail you will not really notice much difference in the hands on flying abilities of both craft

I'm another happy Mavic Pro owner - with no real reason to upgrade. Had more than 2 years of virtually trouble free very satisfying aerocamera enjoyment and productivity.

Am curious about the MP3 though!

1 - The Mavic 2 Pro has the much larger 1in sensor whereas the Mavic 2 Zoom and the original Mavic Pro use a smaller 1/2.3in sensor similar to what's used in mobile phones. The main benefit of the 1in sensor to me is the wider dynamic range but you need to process the raw files to get that advantage and if you're using the pictures automatically straight from the drone you won't see the benefit. I've seen a reasonable number of users here who are disappointed they paid more for the M2P and were not seeing the benefits. The Mavic 2 Zoom's camera advantage is more straightforward in that you get a 2x optical zoom

2 - The Mavic 2 series have obstacle avoidance sensors all round although personally I avoid doing anything risky with the drone, the sensors are far from foolproof

3 - The Mavic 2 series bodies are identical and it's only the camera/gimbal parts that are different, there's no compatibility with any of the parts with the original Mavic Pro.

I bought a Mavic Pro just after launch and then upgraded to a Mavic 2 Pro shortly after its launch because I wanted the larger sensor. I mostly use full frame sensor cameras and found the small 1/2.3in sensor frustrating to work with on the original Mavic Pro since there's not much you can do with the raw files from it which is typical of a sensor that size. There are other small upgrades on the Mavic 2 series which I appreciate but I wouldn't have upgraded for them on their own without the upgrade.

Thanks for all that info mate, really appreciate your time...

if you have use for the extra sensors and camera upgrade of the M2P then by all means go for it ,if like myself and i expect many others on the forum ,you are happy with what the MPP can and does do very reliably ,at a reasonable cost ,and over a long period of time ,then for all that the extra costs of an upgrade to the second gen mavics would entail you will not really notice much difference in the hands on flying abilities of both craft

Good advice, thanks for that mate...

Reactions: old man mavic
No, interchangeable parts unfortunately

Here are the major difference, the question is whether you would ever make use of the added features.

I'm actually preferring the MPP at the moment as I can fly it around and not be scared of loosing or damaging it as it will be cheap to replace or repair.
Your probably not going to need 4k 30p if your just posting up to youtube a couple of times.

Thanks for that link mate, good read...

Reactions: old man mavic
I have a MPP, and I'm really happy with it, but still thinking about upgrading. My question is, can someone tell me the pro's and con's of the three Mavic's ? (MPP, M2Z and M2P).

1. Compare Camera quality's ?
2. Compare Features like active track, obstacle avoidance sensors
3. Do the three of them have Inter-changeable parts and batteries ?

Thanks in advance....

I will probably get a lot of negative feedback. But I have broad shoulders. I say it like it is. Keep your mpp until you can no longer fly it. Maybe just maybe by then DJI will release a drone that is worth the upgrade. You and I will have plenty of time to save up to probably pay cash [emoji385].

I will probably get a lot of negative feedback. But I have broad shoulders. I say it like it is. Keep your mpp until you can no longer fly it. Maybe just maybe by then DJI will release a drone that is worth the upgrade. You and I will have plenty of time to save up to probably pay cash [emoji385].

Yes mate, that's actually good advice.... Cheers...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser