DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Propeller Comparison. 5 brands

Can you be confident your observations aren't skewed by your expectations?? Absent actual measurements the reliance on observation is questionable particularly given that any improvement would be subtle at best.

In any case supposing your claim of increased responsiveness might proved true what advantage does it provide? Does the benefit justify a 10% reduction in efficiency?

If we consider other attributes you claim as favouring their use they aren't quieter, there is no evidence of increased stability (this is unlikely given higher thrust/rpm = higher motor torque loading with reduced ability of the propulsion system to respond as quickly to commanded speed changes resulting in delayed response and less precision in applying small adjustments to thrust). The increased brittleness at low temps consideration is probably irrelevant and to the extent it might come into play would likely favour the stock props. Nylon performs very well at low temps (certainly those within the range the Mavic could be flown) however we don't know what aftermarket props are composed of, particularly the FAUX CF ones.

MOSFETS could be said to be like a tube to the extent they are voltage drive and applied to a linear amplifier the circuit topology and operation is similar in many respects. That is where the similarity ends and it can't be said they might be preferable to bipolar transistors in audio although they often are but that is principally due to the overall design and circuit complexity. The fact remains, all MOSFETS regardless of efficiency experience conduction losses which generate waste heat proportionate to the current delivered to the load. Lower motor RPM for a given thrust = higher current, an inescapable fact and the observation I was making. I did not suggest you should expect ESC failure however higher operating temperature is a given with reduced reliability and efficiency.

Any consideration of efficiency and performance needs to be applied to the whole propulsion system, not just the rotors. What happens when you fit a wheel tyre combination to a vehicle with a larger rolling diameter? Your engine runs slower for a given speed, no question. Do you save fuel? Not usually.... What happens when you are climbing a steep grade? You often need to change down a gear as you are now operating outside the design parameters of the engine and driveline. The vehicle definitely won't be more responsive, this comes from operating the motor over a wider RPM range and at higher revs generally where more output power is available.
I take all that on-board, but I had no expectations that my CF prop's would be more stable than the stock DJI ... My flight test at the time was all about 'duration' ... I was however viewing the Mavic against a cross-hatched fence, that allowed me to very easily see the sideways movement of the craft while it hovered. In addition, I was able to compare video from the two runs, where I could see more sideways movement (the vertical movement was damped out by the gimbal) in the recorded video when the Mavic was flying with stock DJI prop's ...
So - no - I was not recording that as part of my test - but still, I believe it to be an accurate observation. I may do a test just to look at that aspect of the prop's separately.

In regard to justifying ... Well - I have flown over Gull's without disturbing them, and I can see that if you were wanting to do close-up inspections of a structure - then there may be advantages in trading off that 10% flight duration ... ??? There have been recent posts on this forum regarding the way stock DJI prop's go brittle at low temp's and how CF prop's are stronger when flying in below-zero temps.

As soon as you mention 'Gear's in comparing prop's to wheels, you get into the realm of why a constant speed (variable pitch) prop' is so superior to a fixed pitch ... I think we are in violent agreement on these points! I agree that the prop's and the Mavic are one system, and my flight tests actually showed that the best duration was with DJI [quiet] prop's on my Mavic Pro Platinum. But just like my tool-box, I have one screwdriver I like to use sometimes, and another exactly the same Posi-head, that I like to use in others.

Reactions: WithTheBirds
I take all that on-board, but I had no expectations that my CF prop's would be more stable than the stock DJI ... My flight test at the time was all about 'duration' ... I was however viewing the Mavic against a cross-hatched fence, that allowed me to very easily see the sideways movement of the craft while it hovered. In addition, I was able to compare video from the two runs, where I could see more sideways movement (the vertical movement was damped out by the gimbal) in the recorded video when the Mavic was flying with stock DJI prop's ...
So - no - I was not recording that as part of my test - but still, I believe it to be an accurate observation. I may do a test just to look at that aspect of the prop's separately.

In regard to justifying ... Well - I have flown over Gull's without disturbing them, and I can see that if you were wanting to do close-up inspections of a structure - then there may be advantages in trading off that 10% flight duration ... ??? There have been recent posts on this forum regarding the way stock DJI prop's go brittle at low temp's and how CF prop's are stronger when flying in below-zero temps.

As soon as you mention 'Gear's in comparing prop's to wheels, you get into the realm of why a constant speed (variable pitch) prop' is so superior to a fixed pitch ... I think we are in violent agreement on these points! I agree that the prop's and the Mavic are one system, and my flight tests actually showed that the best duration was with DJI [quiet] prop's on my Mavic Pro Platinum. But just like my tool-box, I have one screwdriver I like to use sometimes, and another exactly the same Posi-head, that I like to use in others.
Variable pitch is great because you can operate the motor in the optimum rev range and just vary the pitch but, and I found this out pretty quick (Nitro and electric RC helicopters), carbon fibre props really test the patience in finding optimum gearing and motor selection. There is no question they are more responsive. You don’t get the advantage without a lot of tinkering though. And that really is my point with expecting significant advanatages sticking different rotors on our mavics with the rest if he system unchanged.

My experience with proper CF woven mat props is that, notwithstanding the much higher stiffness, they are a lot more brittle (compared to fibreglass, woodies and nylon)... I have crashed enough to get plenty of first hand opportunity to compare...

Reactions: FoxhallGH
I'm not a technical knowledgeable kind of person on this subject but I did get a concerning result when trying out the Master Airscrew props on my MPP. With the Master Airscrew props installed I did a full throttle up, then at about 200 feet I got a motor current error warning on the screen. Repeated with same results. Tried again with stock low noise DJI props and got no errors. Like I said I'm not technically knowledgeable on this subject but seems the Mavic may not be totally happy with these aftermarket props.

I'm not a technical knowledgeable kind of person on this subject but I did get a concerning result when trying out the Master Airscrew props on my MPP. With the Master Airscrew props installed I did a full throttle up, then at about 200 feet I got a motor current error warning on the screen. Repeated with same results. Tried again with stock low noise DJI props and got no errors. Like I said I'm not technically knowledgeable on this subject but seems the Mavic may not be totally happy with these aftermarket props.
hi dave A all this has been talked about on another thread and the subject is realy down to us the consumer to decide if we want to use genuine DJI props or the many aftermarket ones available my personal choice is stick with original but thats my choice you just showed in your post that there is a difference between them good luck with whatever types you choose

Reactions: Dave A
hi dave A all this has been talked about on another thread and the subject is realy down to us the consumer to decide if we want to use genuine DJI props or the many aftermarket ones available my personal choice is stick with original but thats my choice you just showed in your post that there is a difference between them good luck with whatever types you choose

Agreed. I switched back to the DJI low noise props that came with my MPP and have not used the Master Airscrew props since.

Unfortunately MasterAir Screw doesn’t have props for the Mavic 2 series of drones yet. I have contacted them about when they’re going to be available and they told me they are working on getting them out early 2019. At that time I am going to order a set and compare them to all the other ones. Currently I am flying with CF propellers on my M2P and I really don’t care if I am branded as heretic because I have been using Tmotor winglet carbon fiber folding propellers for my Inspire 2 for over a year and a half without any problems or anything else. I believe they give me a little better control and sensitivity and even better I think they give me a little more time in the air. I have timed them with my stopwatch app and I saw about a minute longer flight times over several different flights.
I wouldn’t fly with anything else!! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 51 Drones
these results must be wrong- the CF props should have been more “locked in”, “crispier” and have more “rock solid” hovering.....Atvkeast based on other user accounts in the forums.

Thank you for doing this.
Different results don't make them "wrong". That's why I said that true research must be repeated to be fact.

Reactions: Inspirephil
Can you be confident your observations aren't skewed by your expectations?? Absent actual measurements the reliance on observation is questionable particularly given that any improvement would be subtle at best.

In any case supposing your claim of increased responsiveness might proved true what advantage does it provide? Does the benefit justify a 10% reduction in efficiency?

If we consider other attributes you claim as favouring their use they aren't quieter, there is no evidence of increased stability (this is unlikely given higher thrust/rpm = higher motor torque loading with reduced ability of the propulsion system to respond as quickly to commanded speed changes resulting in delayed response and less precision in applying small adjustments to thrust). The increased brittleness at low temps consideration is probably irrelevant and to the extent it might come into play would likely favour the stock props. Nylon performs very well at low temps (certainly those within the range the Mavic could be flown) however we don't know what aftermarket props are composed of, particularly the FAUX CF ones.

MOSFETS could be said to be like a tube to the extent they are voltage drive and applied to a linear amplifier the circuit topology and operation is similar in many respects. That is where the similarity ends and it can't be said they might be preferable to bipolar transistors in audio although they often are but that is principally due to the overall design and circuit complexity. The fact remains, all MOSFETS regardless of efficiency experience conduction losses which generate waste heat proportionate to the current delivered to the load. Lower motor RPM for a given thrust = higher current, an inescapable fact and the observation I was making. I did not suggest you should expect ESC failure however higher operating temperature is a given with reduced reliability and efficiency.

Any consideration of efficiency and performance needs to be applied to the whole propulsion system, not just the rotors. What happens when you fit a wheel tyre combination to a vehicle with a larger rolling diameter? Your engine runs slower for a given speed, no question. Do you save fuel? Not usually.... What happens when you are climbing a steep grade? You often need to change down a gear as you are now operating outside the design parameters of the engine and driveline. The vehicle definitely won't be more responsive, this comes from operating the motor over a wider RPM range and at higher revs generally where more output power is available.
Great analysis!

I did notice that - and I'm pleased to find out that we now have a European distributor selling MA prop's on Amazon.co.uk. - YAY! - My order is in and I'm eagerly awaiting delivery.
I'm chewing that test result over, because I can't put logic to that result. If the rpm is lower, then the motor has to be working harder to move the same amount of air ... If you are drawing more current, then how can you get better flight duration???
I did some tests that revealed that flight duration results can really be affected by the battery you are running the Mavic with to do the test. My conclusion was that unless you use the same battery for each prop-set, and have the same weather conditions, the result has to be taken as an approximate rather than an absolute ...
The only thing absolute about anything I do, is that it is usually approximate.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Keep an eye on the rivet joints. They can come a bit stiff. One so much I wouldn't trust the cyntrifigal force to open it. Personally, its a habit of mine to open them up pre-flight.
I always open mine first. That initial jerk frightens me.

Of greater consequence than current drain on the battery (unlikely to be an issue given it is still operating well within its C rating) is increased dissipation (I2R losses) from the on resistance of the ESC inverter mosfets.

The reduction in efficiency is expected- your claim of increased responsiveness is unlikely. In fact to the extent you might obtain increased responsiveness would reveal that the original design of the propulsion system was defective. It is reasonable to expect that in engineering the propulsion system motor KV, and in particular the combined motor/speed controller efficiency characteristics would have been carefully matched to the propellor. Increased thrust/RPM wont just provide reduced efficiency, it will also reduce responsiveness as the propulsion system can’t respond to throttle inputs as quickly.
Holy crap! Do you work for JPL? Reading that made me want to hide in the closet.

Different results don't make them "wrong". That's why I said that true research must be repeated to be fact.
I was being sarcastic- suggesting a lot of claims made without any effort to verify results are often ridiculous...

An excellent video with LOTS of good data. THANKS, "51"!

I've been flying for about a week exclusively with 3-blade props. I don't have the equipment to measure decibels or rpms, but they seem quieter and there seems to be no extra drag on batteries. Here's where I got them: https://www.amazon.com/HeiyRC-Propeller-3-Blade-Replacement-Accessory/dp/B07JG3YTFB/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1545167917&sr=8-4&keywords=3-blade+propeller+for+Mavic+Pro
... and here a video I made three days ago using them:
https://vimeo.com/307397326

The Amazon donkey arrived from Bulgaria with my new orange Master Airscrew prop's the day before Christmas.
I AM SOLD ON THESE PROP'S! So nice in that they seem to combine all the best bits of the other prop types. I'm flying them on a Mavic Pro Platinum and just love the sound they make ... A perfectly appropriate 'droning' humm. I tried the hard vertical ascent to 120 metres as mentioned earlier by @Dave A - but got no motor current warnings (but just realised, that wasn't in Sport mode - which you may have done @Dave A ??). Flights just seem to go on and on with loads of battery left, and the MPP is rock-steady in the air.
I will certainly be getting a spare set of these so I can run on them as standard ...
MavPro_MA.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78