DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro vs Phantom 4 Pro

Newtman

Reactions
Hi Guys! New to the Mavic Forums. I've been a Phantom flyer for about 4 years. I fly "dinosaur" equipment compared to just about everybody else. I was wondering what the primary reasons were that you chose a Mavic instead of a P4P. Or, maybe it's just that some of you are rich enough to have a whole "stable" of different equipment. I'm interested because I'm interested in updating. Thanks in advance for your help.

Reactions: Advexure
The Mavic is more portable, the Air takes that one step further, and that's why it's so popular for YouTubers. However, the quality of the footage of the P4P, both pre and post, is IMO significantly better than the Mavic. So, it really depends on what you're using it for. If I was going out specifically to shoot footage, and I don't care about the size constraint, the P4P wins hands-down. I don't think it's even close, as the sensor in the P4P is significantly better. If I'm going out and might take footage, I'd be bringing the Mavic Pro due to being able to just toss it in my bag.

Reactions: Mike Mc
Portability. I have a regular P4 and don't fly that as much, it's just more hassle to get setup.

That being said, I believe the P4 does take superior footage. The wider angle is nice. The P4 also has more power than the Mavic. There are use cases for both, but almost all my casual flying is on the Mavic these days.

Portability for me too. It fits in a standard size camera bag you can throw over your shoulder. It's also quieter than the Phantom. I have a P3P that just collects dust now. I think the quality of the photos and video is just fine.

Portability for me too. It fits in a standard size camera bag you can throw over your shoulder. It's also quieter than the Phantom. I have a P3P that just collects dust now. I think the quality of the photos and video is just fine.
The Mavic Pro or Air against the Phantom 4 Pro. Obviously the two Mavics have the folding size advantage. In terms of image quality....the Phantom 4 Pro has an image sensor that is more than FOUR times larger and has a real "camcorder" varable iris/aperture. The Mavics are fixed and can only adjust exposure using wildly changing shutter speeds. The P4P sensor scans a 5k video image and down samples it to 4k...with stunning resolving power. The dynamic range on log will be about 11 stops and the Mavics to do about 8-ish. The P4P can encode h.265 HEVC at 100mbp/s.

The Phantom 4's imaging system from beginning to end is far more sophisticated than the Mavics in every possible measurable way.

And now the Mavic Pro-II is about to get all of this!! (Might not get h.265 though)

CT

I personally use both platforms on a pretty regular basis, all depends on where I am flying and what I am after.

Portability and run and gun: Mavic Pro Platinum or Mavic Air
Imaging quality and shooting local where the I2 isn't needed: Phantom 4 Pro

How are you looking to use your UAS, @Newtman? That will play a pretty important role in the aircraft you choose.

First of all, portability. It's smaller and way lighter, which gives me ability to carry it easily. I don't know about you guys, but OcuSync works better for me than LightBridge. Flying with Mavic Pro is more comfortable for me, because it's more stable and "smart". I know that Phantom 4 Pro has 5 directional sensing system, but flying Mavic Pro is more secured for me. So if you compare DJI Mavic Pro vs Phantom 4 Pro - I'll go with Mavic Pro ;)

I don't know about you guys, but OcuSync works better for me than LightBridge.

No comparison! I have a P4P+ and a Mavic. The penetration, range, and feed stability of the Mavic transceiver system CRUSHES the P4P. As mentioned, the P4P camera quality is much better, esp. in low light.

Once more bonus: The Mavic let's do a "2x" digital zoom in real time in the DJI app (just not in 1080p mode). Really nice when doing inspections or just need a better look without dropping down lower. Beats me why they don't do that for all their quads -- handy feature. But anyway, there you go.

No comparison! I have a P4P+ and a Mavic. The penetration, range, and feed stability of the Mavic transceiver system CRUSHES the P4P. As mentioned, the P4P camera quality is much better, esp. in low light.

Once more bonus: The Mavic let's do a "2x" digital zoom in real time in the DJI app (just not in 1080p mode). Really nice when doing inspections or just need a better look without dropping down lower. Beats me why they don't do that for all their quads -- handy feature. But anyway, there you go.
How do you digital zoom? Didn't realize this was possible

I dont’t know about CRUSHES, but it’s a lot better. I still really trust Lightbridge. It’s served me well...

The P4P can do 3-4 miles no problem, just like Occusync. Lightbridge just doesn't favor image quality like LightBridge. I really don't understand why people try to say silly things about crushing, when you're often worried about battery life before range.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikair3