DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mexican Hat Video

Paleomanjim

Reactions
Took the Mavic Mini on a camping vacation this past week in Utah. Really had a lot of fun with it and was able to get some good video of fantastic landscapes.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Superb! When I visited Mexican Hat and Monument Valley, drones hadn't been invented!

Thanks folks. I took a lot of video and have more to edit and post. We camped out at Crystal geyser (cold water geyser in Utah) and were fortunate to have it erupt in the morning so I was able to fly slowly over it with the Mini and got some good footage of that. A big limiting factor was the wind so I was able to fly only half the time. I tried launching in maybe 15 mph wind one time and the wind pushed it back down into the ground. The stabilization cannot correct until the drone is up 3' or so, so that was a learning lesson. Another thing is I had my gimbal settings on stock which explains the jerkiness when I tried to raise the gimbal during flight. I have reset it now that I am home, but for others you might want to adjust that for smoother video. I am also using the cross hairs now and that seems to help when flying low. I've only had the Mini 2 weeks so still lots to learn and this is my first drone. I get nervous when the drone gets out past 2000' and I can't hear or see it, or over water, but guess I'll get use to that in time. I almost bought the Mavic Air 2 because of the obstacle avoidance but really glad I got the Mini instead because of its small size and case, so easy to travel with. And I can buy 2 Mini's for the price of 1 Mavic Air 2 :)

Reactions: ff22
Looking forward to some additional videos. Do I recall there's either a long downhill or uphill getting to Mexican Hat? It has been a while. Great area.

Very beautiful area and nicely shot with the MM. The cars on the highway looked like they were going super fast did you speed up the video a bit?

Very beautiful area and nicely shot with the MM. The cars on the highway looked like they were going super fast did you speed up the video a bit?
Yes, the low level part of the flights are at normal speed, then as altitude is gained 2X, and then 4X at max altitude. Way too boring to watch at normal speed and altitude.
Here is some video from Crystal Geyser from last week. Some adjustments in speed during editing on this one as well.

Yes, the low level part of the flights are at normal speed, then as altitude is gained 2X, and then 4X at max altitude. Way too boring to watch at normal speed and altitude.
Here is some video from Crystal Geyser from last week. Some adjustments in speed during editing on this one as well.
I'd never heard of Crystal Geyser.

I'd never heard of Crystal Geyser.
It is a rare cold water type Co2 geyser. Co2 from deep layers of rock mix with incoming water until saturation occurs, at which point it erupts, sometimes called a soda pop geyser. There are at least 8 in Utah, Crystal being the largest. It was first observed and noted by John Wesley Powell on his expedition to explore the Colorado in 1869. No geyser noted back then, just the mineral deposits from seeping water. Oil drilling and exploration began around 1914 and an exploratory drilling was conducted in 1934. No oil was discovered but they did hit the pocket of Co2/water which blew the drilling mud hundreds of feet into the air. The Geyser has been erupting ever since. The original drilling pipe remains. So Crystal Geyser is sort of a hybrid Geyser, part natural and part man made. Very cool so see living history in action.

Reactions: ff22
It is a rare cold water type Co2 geyser. Co2 from deep layers of rock mix with incoming water until saturation occurs, at which point it erupts, sometimes called a soda pop geyser. There are at least 8 in Utah, Crystal being the largest. It was first observed and noted by John Wesley Powell on his expedition to explore the Colorado in 1869. No geyser noted back then, just the mineral deposits from seeping water. Oil drilling and exploration began around 1914 and an exploratory drilling was conducted in 1934. No oil was discovered but they did hit the pocket of Co2/water which blew the drilling mud hundreds of feet into the air. The Geyser has been erupting ever since. The original drilling pipe remains. So Crystal Geyser is sort of a hybrid Geyser, part natural and part man made. Very cool so see living history in action.
Yes, I had looked it up after watching your video. Looked fascinating.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GYarbro223