DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MicroSD formatting

Ticoviejo

Premium Pilot
Reactions
The guides that I have read do not mention where, when, or how to format the MicroSD cards. What’s the bottom line?

You can format the card in either the computer or the drone, whatever works best for you. If the formatting process does not work in one, then try the other. Not a big fan of formatting on the Mac so my personal choices are drone first and Win computer second. Usually formatting is done to erase all files on the card so it probably depends on where you are and what you are doing when you get ready to erase.

Thanks. I’ll look in the camera settings to see if I find a command.
I don’t have too many options. I haven’t touched a computer since ‘04 when I retired.

If you don't format the card, it gets a bit cluttered......depending on its capacity, you could run out of storage if you don't format it

The guides that I have read do not mention where, when, or how to format the MicroSD cards. What’s the bottom line?
What works for one, may not work for others, but after transferring the contents of the drones DCIM folder to hard drive, I always format the microSD through the flight app camera menu when it's back in the drone. So far: 5 years with the original card and not a problem.

After downloading the SD data from the card to my computer in a named folder- example ("Lake picts June 20,2024") I replace the SD card back into he done and format it using the RC. It has never failed for me.

Dale
Miami

Besides formatting initially, I have never bothered to format the cards in the drone. I dump the files in the trash and empty the trash. After that, I'm back up to full capacity. I've never had a problem with any of the cards except putting in a slow one accidentally but it actually still worked. I always use SanDisk cards.

Besides formatting initially, I have never bothered to format the cards in the drone. I dump the files in the trash and empty the trash. After that, I'm back up to full capacity. I've never had a problem with any of the cards except putting in a slow one accidentally but it actually still worked. I always use SanDisk cards.
This usually works, no problem. In the event you experience any problem, you have the option to try a reformat to fix it.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
I don’t have too many options. I haven’t touched a computer since ‘04 when I retired.
Just curious, if you don't have a computer, what do you do with the pictures/videos files?

Congratulations on retiring young, in Florida no less. Can't fault you for giving up computers but sounds like one could come in handy bout now.

I hate to say it but honestly, my life would be "meaningless" without a computer and a mobile phone. :(

I always format in the Drone.
Never had a problem……..yet lol
My Mavic 3 Pro will not properly format the Samsung 512gb card, I already know this. Format it on the drone and the start recording and the files look like they are present but they are useless. Format the card in a Computer and all is fine. At first it was a hassle but now that I am used to it....

My Mavic 3 Pro will not properly format the Samsung 512gb card, I already know this. Format it on the drone and the start recording and the files look like they are present but they are useless. Format the card in a Computer and all is fine. At first it was a hassle but now that I am used to it....
If formatted in the drone (with a Mavic 3 ... possibly other models too?) you cannot recover any deleted files.
But recovering deleted files is no problem at all if the card is formatted in a computer.

After copying files across to the computer, formatting in the computer is the simplest and most convenient way.

Thanks for all the comments. I did find out that the RC-2 has the command in the camera section like you guys mentioned.
EricJT: all i have is an iPhone and an iPad.
CaptainKO: thanks. I have to admit that I have enjoyed it. Missed some of the extra $$ on the SS check, but have survived.
Thanks again to all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKAms