DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 1→ Mini 2 keeping cases/accessories and compatibility- a first blush review

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
After selling my Mini 1 last Saturday my Mini 2 arrived today from B&H. I took some time to get acquainted, took it for a quick spin and can will add some comments below regarding that. You guys have covered a lot of the flight elements. But if you've had a Mini 1 and are like me, you may have accumulated a few accessories along the way. The Mini 2 is so new I didn't know what to expect in regard to what accessories I should hold onto and which I could let go to sweeten the deal with my buyer.

In terms of the drone itself, the
exterior dimensions are near enough to be called identical for the most part. As someone else noted, the legs are a bit stiffer than the Mini 1 and that was evident when I put my old leg extensions/landing gear on. It took a little more oomph because of the slightly beefier legs, but they went on without a fuss. I like these because you don't have to take them on and off. The only thing is that the make the circumference around the drone a wee bit wider, so the cradle that came with the Mini 2 will have to have strap extender because it doesn't quite reach to fasten with the extenders on. I can do that with velcro, or come up with some alternate plan to span the extra 3/8" that it needs to reach. Also, the gimbal hood still fits, so I'm glad that I didn't give that up. Obviously you don't want to use MM1 propellers on the Mini 2 or vice versa.

Most importantly, using the old MM1 batteries... Batteries are costly. The MM2 battery costs $55 while the MM1 costs $35. Will the MM2 battery provide better performance and longer flight times in real world applications? I don't know yet. We'll see. The Mini 1 battery fits fine in the Mini 2 and flies well. The Mini 2 battery is not bigger! It is just shaped differently! I measured both batteries with a caliper The Mini 1 battery measures 38.7mm x 20.0mm deep while the Mini 2 measures 38.6mm x 19.75mm... so both within spittin' distance of being the idential size. The Mini 1 batteries is a little more oval in nature while the Mini 2 is somewhat more rectangular. The Mini 1 battery not only fits in the Mini 2 but also in the Mini 2 charging bank. I did try charging one Mini 2 batteries with my Yx (individual) charging adapter with the DJI provided brick, but my Kweisi meter said it stopped charging once the battery took on exactly 1599mah of charge. I'm not sure why or what that means, so if one of you engineer guys can tell me why it did that I'd love to know. More importantly, I'd like to know if there would be any damage using one of these adapters [Yx adapter] and wall brick?

Cases... The biggest change from the MM1 to the MM2 is the
size of the controller. I'd been very happy with my old compact zipper case except I'd have to cut out the entire side of the padding to squeeze the MM2 controller in. But I can get it closed while standing it vertically if nothing is in the upper compartment. I'd have to take minimal extra stuff. The MM1 Fly More case was worthless as it was far too cramped. The case provided with the MM2 Fly More is more spacious, not that much smaller than the Fly More case from the Mavic 2. Lots of options. It's worth noting that if you're in the US Harbor Freight, with their ongoing 20% discount sells the Apache 2800 for only $23. The bigger one, the 3800 only costs a few $ more and both come with pick-n-

I'm attaching a bunch of photos for those who (like me) prefer to look at pictures rather than read long diatribes (like this one).

One thing about flying the MM2... It does seem more responsive. I don't recall having a Yaw rate/smoothness control in the MM1. I'm sure I'll think of other stuff, but wanted to cover things that weren't discussed so much. One more thing... I do not like the balance of this MM2 controller over the MM1/M2Pro controllers. In addition to being significantly heavier, it creates unwanted forward torque that I have to physically resist whereas the other controllers had a nice balance over a fulcrum (hands and fingers). But overall flying, in the very brief time I got to fly it- this thing is a Mini Beast!

Mini_Cradle_Bandextension.jpg

MM1Battery_MM2.jpgMini2_wLegs.jpgMini2_oldCase.jpgMini2_apache_horiz.jpgDJI_Cases.jpgapache_cases.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I love the MM1 FMC case. It holds quite a bit, compact and sturdy. After all, the original boxing contained almost everything in this case. The only thing I can't get in the case is the prop cage.

As for charging: the MM1 battery charge voltage is 8.4v and use Li-Ion (metal can) batteries while the MM2 battery charge voltage is 8.8v and uses LiPo cells. Your third party adapter is designed for the MM1 battery so it will charge MM2 battery only to 8.4v
The nominal voltages for which the energy specifications is based is 7.2v versus 7.7v
You'll only get 16.19Wh out of the MM2 battery if you charge it only to the MM1 voltage.
You should have gotten more mAh though than what you recorded, even if it would be less than MM2 specs.

Using LiPo cells instead of Li-Ion explains the change in shape. Li-Ion cells are cylindrical whereas LiPo cells are flat.
I wouldn't charge an MM1 battery by means designed for MM2 since the applied charge voltage would be higher.

Last edited:
Personally I love the MM1 FMC case. It holds quite a bit, compact and sturdy. After all, the original boxing contained almost everything in this case. The only thing I can't get in the case is the prop cage.

As for charging: the MM1 battery charge voltage is 8.4v and use Li-Ion (metal can) batteries while the MM2 battery charge voltage is 8.8v and uses LiPo cells. Your third party adapter is designed for the MM1 battery so it will charge MM2 battery only to 8.4v
The nominal voltages for which the energy specifications is based is 7.2v versus 7.7v
You'll only get 16.19Wh out of the MM2 battery if you charge it only to the MM1 voltage.
You should have gotten more mAh though than what you recorded, even if it would be less than MM2 specs.

Using LiPo cells instead of Li-Ion explains the change in shape. Li-Ion cells are cylindrical whereas LiPo cells are flat.
I wouldn't charge an MM1 battery by means designed for MM2 since the applied charge voltage would be higher.
That is extremely helpful. thank you. So, in a practical sense, what that should mean... and please do correct me if I am wrong... I can use the adapters to charge the MM2 batteries to a point of 1600mah, but then if I want them fully charged I can top them off in the battery bank??? What about the reverse, charging the MM1 in the MM2 battery bank? I guess my $7 Kweisi meter came in handy :).

I don't see the advantage of using the single battery Yx adapter over using the MM2 3 battery hub. Though the hub only charges one at a time, it switches to the next battery automatically. Maybe you have more than 3 batteries?
Remember, you still need a QC compatible USB charger for each battery/hub being connected. QC negotiating only works with one device at a time.

It sounds reasonable to "pre-charge" the MM2 batteries with the Yx.

I would hope the MM2 hub would properly charge the MM1 batteries with the correct lower voltage. MM2 batteries won't fit MM1 hub or AC from what others have said. Square peg in round hole.

Last edited:
How about the skin?

I take it that the skin of the Mini 1 will also fit the Mini 2. It should

Might be some slight difference on the more muscular front legs on the Mini 2. Also, you will need to cut out a slat in the front of the old Mini 1 skin so that the Mini 2's new front LED lights will not be covered.

You will just have to get a matching skin for the Mini 2 controller. I am sure that Decal Girl and the other skin makers will soon make a set for the Mini 2.

Reactions: dulcificum
The MM2 controller size is a show stopper for me in terms of portability. I have a small bag[0] that carries everything for the MM1 and sits comfortably on my hip when out walking. To accommodate the MM2 controller would need a much bigger configuration, so I might as well go with my MP.

[0] US $7.43 45% OFF|Men Portable Outdoor Leg Bag Multipurpose Camouflage Waist Bag Fanny Pack|Waist Packs| - AliExpress
I hear ya. That controller is a behemoth. I guess DJI thought they needed to pack a lot more battery power into it for some reason. Hard to believe, the Mavic 2 controller is about the same size as the MM1 controller, has an LCD display, more buttons, functions and his half the weight of the MM2/MA2 controller. I'm so used to looking at my phone below the controller that it was really odd to have it above it. It wasn't even so much the weight that made me aware of its presence, but it isn't balanced so I have to hold onto it rather than let it sit in my hands. I may ultimately get one of those neck slings for it.

I am not fond of the DJI Mini2 case. The zippers don't open enough to allow access to the whole top of the back and the lid wants to stay closed, even as you're hunting for theings. I could use my DJI Mavic 2 case and also have a medium size camera backpack. But I won't mind throwing the Apache case in my car as it is pretty small and not too heavy and can force it into my everyday backpack if I need extra hands. I can also still force most of the kit in my old tiny zipper case... which I might do because the insert is loaded into the Apache so it would only take seconds to repack everything. I don't think I'll find anything this good for $22.50.MM2_ApacheCase.jpg

I agree with your assessment of the Flymore case. meh. Coincidentally, I had an unuse Lowe Toploader 75 which as been sitting unused for several years and was about to be sold on ebay. Well, not any more. The Mini 2 and all the Flymore accouterments fits inside without jamming and safely separated with plenty of padding. I have a small Pelican hard case to fall back on if I'm traveling. But for quick and daily grab-and-go with the Mini 2, it's the Lowe.

sample:

Reactions: Axelz
I don't see the advantage of using the single battery Yx adapter over using the MM2 3 battery hub. Though the hub only charges one at a time, it switches to the next battery automatically. Maybe you have more than 3 batteries?
Remember, you still need a QC compatible USB charger for each battery/hub being connected. QC negotiating only works with one device at a time.

It sounds reasonable to "pre-charge" the MM2 batteries with the Yx.

I would hope the MM2 hub would properly charge the MM1 batteries with the correct lower voltage. MM2 batteries won't fit MM1 hub or AC from what others have said. Square peg in round hole.
Advantage of single battery Yx? Getting charged up without a lot of lead time. With the bank charging the batteries one at a time, it's 4 hours. If you have all day or charging overnight it's more convenient to slam 3 batteries in the bank and go to sleep. With two batteries charging independently 80 minutes from drained to fully charged.

I guess DJI using the MA2 controller for the MM2 could be more of a thing about parts commonality than battery capacity. If both controllers share most of the parts, producing them is cheaper.

Reactions: Tony McDrone
I guess DJI using the MA2 controller for the MM2 could be more of a thing about parts commonality than battery capacity. If both controllers share most of the parts, producing them is cheaper.
Makes sense. The MA2 was put on the Go Fly platform with Ocusync. With such short lead time why reinvent the wheel when you can re-purpose it? I wonder what other components the MA2 and Mini 2 share?

I dislike the original case as well: it is fluffy, no decent compartments, except for the drone.
Luckily I had a spare Mavic Air 1 bag and I rearranged things a bit to get a much better fit. You have to carefully cut the battery separators loose to insert them to the right side (see photo). I had an old ballpoint metal box that fitted nicely underneath the controller and holds spare props and screw driver.
Now the controller sits high enough so I can leave the joysticks on the RC as well...

Attachments

• 20201205_200225.jpg
    20201205_200225.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
I dislike the original case as well: it is fluffy, no decent compartments, except for the drone.
Luckily I had a spare Mavic Air 1 bag and I rearranged things a bit to get a much better fit. You have to carefully cut the battery separators loose to insert them to the right side (see photo). I had an old ballpoint metal box that fitted nicely underneath the controller and holds spare props and screw driver.
Now the controller sits high enough so I can leave the joysticks on the RC as well...
Yeah... I have a Mavic 2 Pro bag that I can use as well. Much better fit for either Mini. I find bags to be a bit more cumbersome than cases, except if perhaps I was traveling on vacation and needed to carry my Mini around all day. I also have a plethora of camera cases of all sizes, including a camera backpack, currently storing my Lumedyne strobe systems.

Last edited:
I took a few updated pictures of my Apache case to show some of the improvements I've made to it. I'm taking advantage of the depth and using different layers in the foam to accomodate more accessories. Most notably, I've fastened the bottom of the lid's foam to the lid of the case to create a compartment for small thin items such as my screen hood and extra SD card and perhaps propellers, though I have the props in a box at the bottom of the case that sits in a compartment underneath the battery bank. Also, I can store the controller with sticks still on, which speeds up the flight setup with no extra fumbling. The controller can be stored face up, face down or upright in the slot with sticks removed. If I ever find adquate black foam free or dirt cheap I'll replace the white foam, though it would be mainly cosmetic.

I am also trying to retrofit my old small Mini 1 semi-hard case whose foam couldn't accomodate the larger Mini 2 controller. I'm working on a padding configuration to separate the components. I cannabalized the foam insert from the smaller case to go into the Apache case, which works quite nicely.
This smaller box fits very nicely into my EDC backpack along with landing pad, binoculars, gloves, etc.

I've included a photo of all three cases for perspective of size.

apache2800_CaseHack_sm.jpgMini_SmallCase.jpgMini 2 cases.jpg

Advantage of single battery Yx? Getting charged up without a lot of lead time. With the bank charging the batteries one at a time, it's 4 hours. If you have all day or charging overnight it's more convenient to slam 3 batteries in the bank and go to sleep. With two batteries charging independently 80 minutes from drained to fully charged.
But you can only charge one battery at a time with a single Yx. And even if you had more than one Yx, you also need a QC charger for each one to get any benefits.

That's precisely what it is. When DJI switched to Occusync 2.0 for the MM2, it made absolutely no sense at all to waste the money designing yet ANOTHER rc that would have the added expense of it's own manufacturing line.

Yeah, the controller is a beast. DJI should have included a WIFI smartphone-only control mode with virtual sticks, like on the Mavic Air 1.

I'm a huge fan of the Air 1 for all-around versatility and portability. If that's the top value-proposition for someone, there isn't a model in the DJI lineup that beats it. Portability? All you have to take with you is the drone. Period. It's a shame this capability wasn't expanded beyond the Air 1 to the Air 2, and the lower tier birds, MM1 and 2.

I've purchased Yx parallel chargers for every drone, going back to my first, the Phantom 3 (or was it 2? The non-pro Phantom right before the first Mavic). After that Mavic Pro, Air 1, Mavic 2 Pro, and Air 2.

In all that time, I've never actually REALLY used them. What I mean is, I've never gone out and flown 3-4 batteries, then was eager to charger them all up as fast as possible and do it again. I do charge them using the Yx (overnight), but I could get the same simply by using the serial multicharger included with everything after the Mavic Pro.

For my use -- recreational flying, and photography -- I just don't need it. If I ever found I need a bit more, I'd buy another battery or two.

Charging them all as fast as possible when I get home just doesn't add any value, as I've never once gone out that same day needing 3 full batteries again.

I won't be getting one for the MM2.

Yeah, the controller is a beast. DJI should have included a WIFI smartphone-only control mode with virtual sticks, like on the Mavic Air 1.

I'm a huge fan of the Air 1 for all-around versatility and portability. If that's the top value-proposition for someone, there isn't a model in the DJI lineup that beats it. Portability? All you have to take with you is the drone. Period. It's a shame this capability wasn't expanded beyond the Air 1 to the Air 2, and the lower tier birds, MM1 and 2.
Absolutely! That would be a game-changer!

The only real problem I had with the Air 1 is its propeller noise.... for the rest it is more than excellent! And until end 2022 we may fly over/near people after a rather simple online exam (possible via Ireland!).

With a trick I measured the charging voltage of the batteries and tested two Mini 1 batteries charging in a Mini 2 charger: in both cases the applied voltage automatically was limited to 8.4 V, for Mini 2 batteries the voltage rises to 8.8 V. It works well and I see no problems whatsoever!!! I will keep on charging the Mini 1 batteries in the Mini 2 charger.
One should keep in mind however that the weight of a Mini 2 with a Mini 1 battery becomes higher than 249 grams! Luckily for Europeans, the police don't carry a scale! :)

Reactions: dulcificum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580