DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Gimbal drifting or sticky after gimbal arm repair - any ideas?

ileader

Reactions
Site
www.instagram.com
Hi -

I crashed my mini 2, and it broke the gimbal arm. No other problems. I've repaired the arm (superglue + some *very* lightweight glass cloth reinforcement), reassembled, recalibrated the gimbal and everything works, except...

The gimbal has a tendency to drift (only yaw) clockwise. It's pronounced if you fly hard left or right, but seems to happen to a small degree just from putting the drone in the air. When I land or hover it will slowly level the gimbal (over the course of a few seconds) - but not completely. To get a complete correction I have to tap/nudge the gimbal after landing, and then it levels fully.

I'm actually not sure if this is a drift clockwise, or if it's getting a little bit stuck coming back anti-clockwise. There seems to be no impediment to free gimbal movement when the drone is powered off.

There are no error or warning messages at any time. I also replaced props and calibrated the IMU after seeing the problem, but to no avail.

It was a pretty hard crash so I wouldn't be surprised if there's some internal damage on the gimbal I can't see - but I wanted to check if anyone had seen similar behaviour or had ideas on how to diagnose / fix.

Thanks,

Ian.

@ileader sounds like there is some slight misalignment on the gimbal motor that controls yaw

toggling the gimbal up and down button might recentre the gimbal.
There is a proceedure that you can, I believe, use but it's a bit complicated and perhaps not everyones cup of tea
& or

I'd also check, possibly with a magnifying glass, to see if any of your 'repair' got near the yaw pivot and could be causing problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the answers. The problem doesn’t seem like centering - the gimbal calibrates to the center and level, and will go back there gradually after the problem occurs. It’s the slowness of the response (and to a lesser extent the fact that it’s still a degree or two out without a nudge to remind it to try harder).

I’ll pull it apart again and make sure nothing mechanical is blocking it.

Thanks! Ian

Hi -

I crashed my mini 2, and it broke the gimbal arm. No other problems. I've repaired the arm (superglue + some *very* lightweight glass cloth reinforcement), reassembled, recalibrated the gimbal and everything works, except...

The gimbal has a tendency to drift (only yaw) clockwise. It's pronounced if you fly hard left or right, but seems to happen to a small degree just from putting the drone in the air. When I land or hover it will slowly level the gimbal (over the course of a few seconds) - but not completely. To get a complete correction I have to tap/nudge the gimbal after landing, and then it levels fully.

I'm actually not sure if this is a drift clockwise, or if it's getting a little bit stuck coming back anti-clockwise. There seems to be no impediment to free gimbal movement when the drone is powered off.

There are no error or warning messages at any time. I also replaced props and calibrated the IMU after seeing the problem, but to no avail.

It was a pretty hard crash so I wouldn't be surprised if there's some internal damage on the gimbal I can't see - but I wanted to check if anyone had seen similar behaviour or had ideas on how to diagnose / fix.

Thanks,

Ian.
I have had that same problem after dropping IT out of my hands.
I broke the Axel of the horizontal Axel...
But after some glue i where able to Fix it altough you need to make sure you leave no residu.
Only the slightest friction will get IT to get stuck.
Be mindfull testing IT when it gets stuck Heat Will burn the Gimbal motors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS