DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 motor stuck.

SkyInsight

Reactions
So today I went out to fly a little. I put my mini 2 on the ground and hit the auto take off button it started up but one the top right motor was having trouble getting moving. All the others were fine and I did get an error message saying like motor cannot rotate or something like that. I picked it up and kinda hand spun the little motor and tried it again and it worked fine. I usually kinda spin the motors by hand before flights to check and that top right one has been a little stiff lately but just slightly more than the others. I think there is something slightly sticky on the pin in the middle of the motor and can see a little residue on it and I think that's what is causing it. Is there a way I can get in there and remove that grime? It's not bad and I don't think that it will lock up in flight with the motors fully going. I just think it had a little trouble getting moving today. Any ideas?

How long since the last flight? There have been a number of these threads recently, you might like to have a search here and the DJI forum and perhaps compare notes with the other 'victims'.
Has the drone been flown in fog or rain? I am just wondering if water is getting into a bearing and causing problems.

Well the last flight before todays problem flight was like 3 days ago maybe. Not long. And no I don't fly in anything too moist.

So today I went out to fly a little. I put my mini 2 on the ground and hit the auto take off button it started up but one the top right motor was having trouble getting moving. All the others were fine and I did get an error message saying like motor cannot rotate or something like that. I picked it up and kinda hand spun the little motor and tried it again and it worked fine. I usually kinda spin the motors by hand before flights to check and that top right one has been a little stiff lately but just slightly more than the others. I think there is something slightly sticky on the pin in the middle of the motor and can see a little residue on it and I think that's what is causing it. Is there a way I can get in there and remove that grime? It's not bad and I don't think that it will lock up in flight with the motors fully going. I just think it had a little trouble getting moving today. Any ideas?

Did you hit anything organic in a prior flight? Like plants, trees, etc., that could have caused sap residue perhaps?

nope I got it cleaned though. I just used a metal wire to gently scrape off the residue and it seemed to spin easier. thanks guys

I am one of those who had exactly this issue just recently, from the stuck motor and error message, right up to the (brown) residue on the motor shaft.
Similarly, spinning the props by hand the motor eventually freed up and the drone has filed fine since then, but the fact of the matter is that this particular motor doesn’t rotate as freely as the others, which to me is concerning.

Have a look at My thread here. I would be interested to hear what you think about it. Maybe we can find some underlying cause, because it definitely is NOT an isolated issue. Many people think that this is a rare occurrence but everywhere I’ve looked there are numerous people reporting stuck motors even on brand new drones.

Hi , quite a few flyers had this problem with one motor sticking, mine was the left front leg motor looking towards the camera, still in warranty so returned to seller and DJI replaced with a brand new drone, cheers Len

Reactions: SkyInsight
Apart from your obvious hatred towards the Mini 2, do you have any actual facts to back this claim up?
A few months ago my cousin had this happen to his unit. As he is not fluent in English, I decided to create a topic for him. Upon trying to create a topic there were so many suggested topics by this forum that I didn’t feel the need to create an own topic and just get the information from the dozens of already published topics

I am one of those who had exactly this issue just recently, from the stuck motor and error message, right up to the (brown) residue on the motor shaft.
Similarly, spinning the props by hand the motor eventually freed up and the drone has filed fine since then, but the fact of the matter is that this particular motor doesn’t rotate as freely as the others, which to me is concerning.

Have a look at My thread here. I would be interested to hear what you think about it. Maybe we can find some underlying cause, because it definitely is NOT an isolated issue. Many people think that this is a rare occurrence but everywhere I’ve looked there are numerous people reporting stuck motors even on brand new drones.
Yeah it does seem pretty common. Its gotta be because the motors and clearance is so small. I think mine got some pollen or something in it idk but after hand turning and cleaning that little pin in the middle of the motor with a wire, everything seems fine.

But like you said, that motor is still a little bit stiffer than the others. Not too worried about it locking up in air with full thrust, I just don't see that happening.

It's spring time here and I was recently flying near some trees in full spring bloom, with bees buzzing all around lol. So I'm guessing that's it. The other morning it was really foggy outside at dawn. I looked out and was thinking YES!, this is gonna be a nice video... But then I used my head and googled it real quick lol. Thank God I did because supposedly if the fog is thick enough it could think it was the ground and not land and also the condensation isnt good for the motors. Idk though.

Don't think it's based on usage.
My 2+ old Mini 2 had maybe 15 flights on it.
Took it out today and the front right motor is sticky/stiff.
It's basically been sitting its whole life.
Something else going on with these M2's.
Anyway it's going back to DJI for repair (out of warranty)

Don't think it's based on usage.
My 2+ old Mini 2 had maybe 15 flights on it.
Took it out today and the front right motor is sticky/stiff.
It's basically been sitting its whole life.
Something else going on with these M2's.
Anyway it's going back to DJI for repair (out of warranty)
How much if you don't mind me asking was the repair ? I've just sent mine back with a seized top right motor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu