DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Sporadically Not Recording High Res to SD Card?

TheDude

Reactions
You'll see in these (crudely marked) photos what I'm talking about. Yesterday on Jan. 19, 2021 I took 6 videos during the same flight. Those 6 videos show up in low res cache version in the DJI Fly Album, though only 2 of those videos are saved to the actual SD card in high res versions. Nothing was changed or done differently in settings or anywhere in the fly app during the flight. I'm just hitting record on all 6 videos the exact same way.

This is confirmed once the SD card is inserted in my computer. Obviously cache when recording is enabled, 128 Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro card is routinely formatted in drone before flight (though this flight I also had videos from the day before), aircraft and app both up to date.

Wise people of the forums, any ideas what is going on, or anyone else notice this? I hate to think this will eventually happen on location with that perfect shot and I only get the low res version...

IMG_2560.jpgIMG_2561.jpgIMG_2562.jpg

While your card is from a good brand, I would put another card (different brand/size - just something else) to the drone and try to make another flight. SD cards are nasty things, I had a situation a few years back when DSLR camera was taking photos, they were visible for a while, but later they were disappearing.

Reactions: TheDude
I know formatting is frequently mentioned but I very rarely format any of my cards but that's not really related to your post.

Excuse the daft question but was the card full?

Have you actually verified the card has the capacity it claims to have i.e. could it be a fake? I don't know how fakes handle being 'full' but I always check all newly arrived cards for capacity using H2testw, it's slow but.......

What might be interesting to do.....if it works...... is upload to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help the txt flight logs for a flight where video recording was successful and for a flight where it was unsuccessful. If PH can process the log ( I have seen at least 1 Mini 2 log that it successfully processed) then download the csv zips and extract them.
I think one 'sort' ends -TxtLogToCsv.csv, open those in a spreadsheet and search the titles for "record", there might be 4 relevant camera columns

RC.record _________________________________ Column CV
CAMERA_INFO.recordState _______________ column FI
CAMERA_INFO.mode _______________________ Column FT
CAMERA_INFO.videoRecordTime ________ column FY

that might indicate if something useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a fake new microsd card from Amazon causing problems, eventually I copied files to it and back on a pc to see what the speed was. Surprised it was a fake, Amazon return, replacement came and marked speed increase, no more problem.

You'll see in these (crudely marked) photos what I'm talking about. Yesterday on Jan. 19, 2021 I took 6 videos during the same flight. Those 6 videos show up in low res cache version in the DJI Fly Album, though only 2 of those videos are saved to the actual SD card in high res versions. Nothing was changed or done differently in settings or anywhere in the fly app during the flight. I'm just hitting record on all 6 videos the exact same way.

This is confirmed once the SD card is inserted in my computer. Obviously cache when recording is enabled, 128 Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro card is routinely formatted in drone before flight (though this flight I also had videos from the day before), aircraft and app both up to date.

Wise people of the forums, any ideas what is going on, or anyone else notice this? I hate to think this will eventually happen on location with that perfect shot and I only get the low res version...

View attachment 122123View attachment 122124View attachment 122125

I know formatting is frequently mentioned but I very rarely format any of my cards but that's not really related to your post.

Excuse the daft question but was the card full?

Have you actually verified the card has the capacity it claims to have i.e. could it be a fake? I don't know how fakes handle being 'full' but I always check all newly arrived cards for capacity using H2testw, it's slow but.......
Thanks for the replies! Yes the card has plenty of room and I at least verified on my computer the capacity. It was purchased new from a local Best Buy (out of fear of getting a fake from Amazon), so I have no reason to believe it’s a fake from BB. Suppose I’ll have to try and hassle with a return and see if that helps.

I haven’t gone down the Phantom Help flight log rabbit hole yet, as I have no idea what I’m doing with that and learning it is probably not going to happen soon due to the time investment required. Even if I knew how to use it and what to look for I’m not sure seeing any errors or codes thrown would change my ability to have an effect on the outcome, that is having low def files only. I’m sure I could find the problem, just not sure what the solution would then be if it’s anything besides a bad card.

Thanks, all!

The PH rabbit hole is fairly easy to follow if you have a spread sheet program
Once you have downloaded the zipped csv's extract them, this is just mouse button clicks for me in Win 7. Then open the extracted csv with the spreadsheet program.
Find the columns I mentioned and scroll down through them.
Column FI seems to contain words like NO, starting, stop. Column FT, "record" & "take photo" etc.
The Mini 2 log I have is not mine so I do not know if the words indicate the camera was actually doing xyz but it can't hurt to look.
The other two colums are 0's in 'my' log.
However I think I have seen either running record times or running-recording-time-left figures in the csv's from my own drones.

Keeping my fingers crossed. When the problem might be solved also by replacing the card/disk it is the 1st thing I do and it usually helps, most of the times ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky