DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 - Auto panorama angled gimbal?

When I thought I had got the hang of it, and got reasonable results it stopped working for me……..
If you're using Linux, then download the Flatpak version of Hugin. I had the same problem as you. I woked out how to use it and after lots of trying I finally got a pano that worked. Then the software stopped working, even after uninstalling it and deleting all of it's cached files, etc with apt-get --purge remove and reinstalling it. But the Flatpak version works great. I use it to stitch HDR photos and vertical panos as well as 360 panos. And it can all be done with Assistant mode. You just have to check your cropping so the entire pano is kept, including the black areas, to make sure the horizon is kept straight in your 360 viewing software.

If you're using Linux, then download the Flatpak version of Hugin. I had the same problem as you. I woked out how to use it and after lots of trying I finally got a pano that worked. Then the software stopped working, even after uninstalling it and deleting all of it's cached files, etc with apt-get --purge remove and reinstalling it. But the Flatpak version works great. I use it to stitch HDR photos and vertical panos as well as 360 panos. And it can all be done with Assistant mode. You just have to check your cropping so the entire pano is kept, including the black areas, to make sure the horizon is kept straight in your 360 viewing software.
I’m not using Linux, I’m afraid @Dronut: I’m a Mac man

Reactions: Dronut
If you want accurate panos with no distortion then manually take them in portrait mode. The auto modes all introduce various distortion issues.
Below is a link to a test 48mp 7 panel pano taken in portrait mode with a 30% overlap and stitched using PTGui Pro. Processed from DNG>TIFF>JPG.
No distortion and no parallax issues are present. Some minor stitching issues are present which I could have fixed if I had been bothered. Only minor post processing was applied.
Beware, the file is 65mb in size so may take a while to load.

Reactions: CJG
If you want accurate panos with no distortion then manually take them in portrait mode. The auto modes all introduce various distortion issues.
Below is a link to a test 48mp 7 panel pano taken in portrait mode with a 30% overlap and stitched using PTGui Pro. Processed from DNG>TIFF>JPG.
No distortion and no parallax issues are present. Some minor stitching issues are present which I could have fixed if I had been bothered. Only minor post processing was applied.

Extraordinary! Who would guess that this would be possible?

I've shot panos for years with still cameras - nearly always in portrait mode. WAY more resolution for free! :)

Yeah, I have tried Hugin, but just too complicated for me @JamieK.

When I thought I had got the hang of it, and got reasonable results it stopped working for me……..
PTGUI is easier to use, I'll give it that. Costs more, though :)

Cheap, good, easy-to-use — pick two!

With PTGUI I have it find control points first, then use the control point table to eliminate bad control points, and control points that could be problematical (specifically clouds if they were moving). I usually add control points for landmarks on the horizon and for things that would show stitching errors (buildings etc). I might also use the masking tools to force it to take all of a significant object from one picture rather than having a seam in the middle, and to eliminate ghost cars, lens flares, etc.

I'll also add horizontal control points to the horizon to make certain it's level. This helps a lot.

Good thinking @Obsidian, except my Mini 2 won't do portrait mode.

And of course, I have been talking about auto-panoramas: does the Mini 3 Pro take portrait auto-panoramas?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead