DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 - DJI RC- map/radar indicator lower left

Rick0504N

Reactions
Hi
Question about the map that comes up in lower left of the DJI RC remote control screen when flying the Mini 3

Is there a requirement to go into Offline Maps and download a map of the area that you intend to fly in order to see a map in the lower left of the screen? Or does the controller screen display a map due to the GPS functionality of the controller and therefore a map will display without having to download any maps? Sorry for the basic nature of this question. I do not currently have the Mini 3 or the DJI RC with built-in screen, so that is why I am asking. (I currently have an older Mavic Pro Platinum and connect my iPhone to the controller)

Question about the map that comes up in lower left of the DJI RC remote control screen when flying the Mini 3
The map works the same way with any drone that uses DJI Fly and any controller.
Is there a requirement to go into Offline Maps and download a map of the area that you intend to fly in order to see a map in the lower left of the screen? Or does the controller screen display a map due to the GPS functionality of the controller and therefore a map will display without having to download any maps?
GPS does not provide maps.
It only provides the location data to tell the app where the drone is flying.
The app has to have internet access to download the appropriate map segment for the area where the drone is being used.
It is not necessary for flying, but some users like it as a convenience.
The radar display takes up less space and provides all the info needed or you can minimise that to have a less cluttered screen.
i-jpvxZSQ-Th.jpg

Reactions: AeroJ
If you want proper satellite imagery to show on your RC map, you need either an internet connection for the RC during flight so it can download the satellite images of your location if you’ve never flown there before (on my RC2, it caches the image data for future use so I only need to have internet connection the first time) or you need to download offline maps for the location you intent to fly in the future that will have no internet connection. Though the offline map download feature is horrible and leaves a lot to be desired.

I also love the radar view, I just wish it would include the ADS data for the aircraft near me the way the full map does, or at least the direction and heading of nearby craft.

Forget about the radar view as well as downloading any maps for a moment. Are you both saying that if I were to launch the Mini 3 using the DJI RC remote with built-in screen, from my backyard, I would be able to see my street (for instance) on the map without having to download a map of my town? And if the answer to that is “Yes” , what is the source of the map? Does the DJI RC have built-in maps?

Forget about the radar view as well as downloading any maps for a moment. Are you both saying that if I were to launch the Mini 3 using the DJI RC remote with built-in screen, from my backyard, I would be able to see my street (for instance) on the map without having to download a map of my town? And if the answer to that is “Yes” , what is the source of the map? Does the DJI RC have built-in maps?
I answered your question already.
Read post #2 again.

I read it again. I must be a moron because I’m still confused about where the map detail is coming from if no maps have been downloaded. I’ll continue my Google searches. Thanks.
I found what I was looking for:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I read it again. I must be a moron because I’m still confused about where the map detail is coming from if no maps have been downloaded. I’ll continue my Google searches. Thanks.
Your app downloads the maps from whoever DJI has set for their map supplier.

Reactions: davidarmenb
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellmorrissey