DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 flight warning miles from airport

tahoejeff

Reactions
Not sure exact wording, and didn't take a screenshot. I was probably 6 miles from the tiny Baraboo WI airport. Fired up the mini 3 and rc2. Got some kind of warning mentioning that airport. I shut down and went home, as it wasn't an important flight. My cellphone is a Tracfone, which means it cannot be used as a hotspot.
Could I install the DJI fly app on my cellphone and connect to rc via wifi or usb-c to get flight approval next time this happens? If your answer is yes to usb-c, do I need a special cable? I know on my old Spark, I needed a special cable to connect rc to cellphone.
I do have B4ufly and AirControl installed on the phone.

If I didn't give you enough info for a decent answer, I will have to drive back out to that spot and try again so I can see what the warning was.

I dunno, seems like just a simple warning to me; giving you a friendly heads up. No reason why you cannot take off and fly that I can see. Just "Maintain situational awareness."

Reactions: tahoejeff
I was probably 6 miles from the tiny Baraboo WI airport.
There are all sorts of zones near Baraboo, WI. This is from the DJI Fly Safe web site. Depending on what type of zone you were in, you would either have to simply accept responsibility or submit an unlock request.
Capture.PNG

Reactions: tahoejeff
There are all sorts of zones near Baraboo, WI. This is from the DJI Fly Safe web site. Depending on what type of zone you were in, you would either have to simply accept responsibility or submit an unlock request.
View attachment 169146
Thanks! Was not aware of that website. The spot I wanted to fly from was in an authorization zone. So I should install the DJI Fly App (despite the warnings) on my phone, and then request an unlock code that I can enter on my remote?

Thanks! Was not aware of that website. The spot I wanted to fly from was in an authorization zone. So I should install the DJI Fly App (despite the warnings) on my phone, and then request an unlock code that I can enter on my remote?
You're in the Mini 3 forum so I assumed you were already using the DJI Fly App. Are you saying you are getting warnings when you try to install the DJI Fly App on your phone? Just make sure you are only using the DJI Fly App from dji.com.

You're in the Mini 3 forum so I assumed you were already using the DJI Fly App. Are you saying you are getting warnings when you try to install the DJI Fly App on your phone? Just make sure you are only using the DJI Fly App from dji.com.
Using the Fly App built into the remote control, which doesn't have internet access. But it looks like I can use the site mentioned above on my phone now that I've entered my remote serial number into my DJI account.