DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Gimbal Protector alternative solutions?

AnDronioBanderos

Reactions
Hi all

Has anyone found the gimbal protector supplied by DJI for the Mini 3 pro to be pretty useless at stabilizing the gimbal in storage/transit? Gimbal moves around a lot even with the protector on.

I've started using the black piece of foam that came in the box and slide it behind the gimbal before putting on the protector, as have many YouTubers.

Anyone found a better solution?

It's a bit like when the original Air2 came out although that gave better stability in storage/transit to the gimbal, than this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS Coast
i also kept the small black foam packing piece ,that came with the drone ,i have chamfered one end slightly ,so its fits better behind the gimbal ,and it keeps the gimbal in the correct orientation for fitting the cover ,personally i dont find it a chore

I found my alternative gimbal cover on the M2P better in terms of protection and easiness of application.
But the Mini 3 Pro ist not that flimsy and the side parts seem to do the job good enough to avoid any major shock to it.

There already seems to be another design:

View attachment 152318

I am tempted to order and test it ...

Cheers!

I might have a look at one of those too.

That little gimbal on the Mini 3 Pro just looks like it has too much movement with the OEM protector.

My Air 2s one does a much better job.

Last edited:
Cheers!

I might have a look at one of those too.

That little gimbal on the Mini 3 Pro just looks like it has too much movement with the OEM protector.

My Air 2s one does a much better job.
DJI has already redesigned the gimbal cover from what was shipped with the initial manufacturing runs (April & May). Apparently, the new design is pretty useless regarding protection.

Reactions: Pstik and Torque
I forgot to take the foam and and it kept coming up with a overload on gimbal error surprisingly 🙄

Have you got a link to that cover? - Scrap that loads of various ones on Amazon.
Will get one and report if any good.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I've ordered one.
10 Euros is not a fortune to try out actually.

I am pleased with the original one but sometimes it's a bit fiddly to re-apply.
Isn't too bad to have a spare too.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnDronioBanderos
I found my alternative gimbal cover on the M2P better in terms of protection and easiness of application.
But the Mini 3 Pro ist not that flimsy and the side parts seem to do the job good enough to avoid any major shock to it.

View attachment 152318

I live in China and I have this 'Frog' gimbal protector for a few weeks now. Fits on so much easier than the DJI provided one, and also seems to stop the gimbal moving quite as much too. Added bonus is it overs and protects the sensors.

I got my "frog" gimbal protector yesterday.
It's made out of sturdy plastics, the same quality I had with the M2P and actually it seems to be from the same company reading the imprint "SUNNYLIFE".

It's a tight fit actually but nicely done.

I don't think DJI is stupid enough to ship with a cover that risks a higher rate of damage. Such a bad design decision will have calculable costs through warranty and Care Refresh repairs. Much much cheaper to just design a cover that secures the gimbal.

It's apparently not necessary. The symmetrical mounted design is much more robust than the hanging design. Enough so that DJI designed the cover to simple protect from impact, maybe deciding that the stress on elastic suspension components was worse than the gimbal moving around.

Just some food for thought. I don't actually have any inside information.

Last edited:
i also kept the small black foam packing piece ,that came with the drone ,i have chamfered one end slightly ,so its fits better behind the gimbal ,and it keeps the gimbal in the correct orientation for fitting the cover ,personally i dont find it a chore
In fact that is the major issue for me - keeping teh gimbal oriented correctly to slide in and not get cockeyed.
Watch those black foams - when they get old they start to crumble...

Hi all

Has anyone found the gimbal protector supplied by DJI for the Mini 3 pro to be pretty useless at stabilizing the gimbal in storage/transit? Gimbal moves around a lot even with the protector on.

I've started using the black piece of foam that came in the box and slide it behind the gimbal before putting on the protector, as have many YouTubers.

Anyone found a better solution?

It's a bit like when the original Air2 came out although that gave better stability in storage/transit to the gimbal, than this one.

I'm using the foam that came with it. I figure if it's good enough to withstand shipping, it's good enough for me. That's one less accessory I have to buy.

View attachment 152318

I just got one of these , they are so much better than the original .

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom