DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Map not working on RC.

JimSteadman

Reactions
After an unfortunate incident with a maple tree, I now have a new Mini 3 Pro which I have bound to my RC. As far as I can tell, it works just flawlessly. But when I take off and hear "Your home point has been updated. Please check it on the map" the map at the lower left corner of the RC shows a tiny map of the world. When I fiddle with it a bit and get to the general area where I am flying to show on the map, it is a jagged, imprecise map where there are no curves, just a jagged straight-line image. That having been said, the drone flies well and when I tell it to come home it comes back like an obedient puppy. No return to home issues at all. I suspect that the solution to this issue is simple, but I cannot figure it out. Anyone out there??

You need to zoom in closer to the location where you are. If you're near a wi fi connection you should be able to do this. Zoom down to street ID level. If there's a shortcut to doing this I'd like to know what it is fellow drone pilots.

Last edited:
You need to zoom in closer to the location where you are. If you're near a wi fi connection you should be able to do this. Zoom down to street ID level. If there's a shortcut to doing this I'd like to know what it is fellow drone pilots.
I did zoom in. And that is where the jagged imprecise map appeared. A small lake was shown only by a bizarre arrangement of straight lines.

...the map, it is a jagged, imprecise map where there are no curves, just a jagged straight-line image.
And your RC was internet connected during this? No map will be updated otherwise ...

That having been said, the drone flies well and when I tell it to come home it comes back like an obedient puppy. No return to home issues at all...
Your drone & it's RTH functionality + HP recording will work perfectly fine without a map view ... which is dependent on that you have internet connection.

Try this.
Clear your kitchen table of any metal objects and I always open the legs and remove the cover then turn on you rc once established turn on the drone and wait until everything's clear and you hear HP is established. Then go to your map and find your location, once it is working do not close the app to retain the cache and herce the map location. You can even do this ahead of time for another part of town, just don't close the app.

Try this.
Clear your kitchen table of any metal objects and I always open the legs and remove the cover then turn on you rc once established turn on the drone and wait until everything's clear and you hear HP is established. Then go to your map and find your location, once it is working do not close the app to retain the cache and herce the map location. You can even do this ahead of time for another part of town, just don't close the app.
OK. I tried this on the floor of a large room but the GPS signal was weak, so I took it out on the porch. I got the home point message and the little symbol appeared on the map. But the background was not our neighborhood - it was just tan. So I expanded the view to look for nearby landmarks and took a photo of the screen when I got some. Photo attached.
Bear in mind, we are close to the edge of a lake that is about 20 miles long and 1 - 3 miles wide. It does not appear. We are also about 15 miles south of Lake Erie, which is the large blue triangle in the image. The airport shown is the Jamestown NY, but we are not in a restricted zone here. It is about 80 miles to Buffalo, which is at the 'pointy' end of Lake Erie. This is as detailed as I can get it. I just noticed that the 15 satellites indicator is white instead of red. This is telling me something, but I am not sure what.
Finally, remember that this RC worked flawlessly with my first mini3Pro. No problem with the map until I got the replacement drone.

OK. I tried this on the floor of a large room but the GPS signal was weak, so I took it out on the porch. I got the home point message and the little symbol appeared on the map. But the background was not our neighborhood - it was just tan. So I expanded the view to look for nearby landmarks and took a photo of the screen when I got some. Photo attached.
Bear in mind, we are close to the edge of a lake that is about 20 miles long and 1 - 3 miles wide. It does not appear. We are also about 15 miles south of Lake Erie, which is the large blue triangle in the image. The airport shown is the Jamestown NY, but we are not in a restricted zone here. It is about 80 miles to Buffalo, which is at the 'pointy' end of Lake Erie. This is as detailed as I can get it. I just noticed that the 15 satellites indicator is white instead of red. This is telling me something, but I am not sure what.
Finally, remember that this RC worked flawlessly with my first mini3Pro. No problem with the map until I got the replacement drone.

Attachments

• Drone RC photo 20221015_091949 (1).jpg
    Drone RC photo 20221015_091949 (1).jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 13
So again ... was your RC there on the porch, connected to either your WiFi network or to your phones mobile data network via a hotspot connection?

That your drone have a enough good satellite acquisition for a HP doesn't provide your RC with the maps for the location.

Don't forget that the wifi turns off when Fly turns on. Turn it back on manually. It can take a while, even on a PC, for the map details to fully load.

look to the bottom square that says mixed that will show you a sat image like google
Finally got this working like it should. Thanks for your assistance. The strange thing is that I never had to do this in the past - it just worked like it was supposed to. I suspect binding to a new drone resulted in RC settings being returned to their default and for some reason those settings were enabled somehow enabled when the RC was received in the first place with the first mini 3 Pro. At any rate, all is good and I appreciate your suggestions and assistance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini