DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro over-current warning

guzewski

Reactions
A few weeks ago I was flying my Mini 3 Pro in Sport mode (which I don't do all that often). I was at full throttle and there was just a light breeze from the side. About 30 or 40 seconds into the flight I got a red over-current warning on the RC-1. I immediately stopped, and in a few seconds the warning cleared. Did I exceed some specification by flying that long? Anyway, I pretty much got the footage I wanted, and I gingerly flew back in normal mode with no further incidents. The battery has maybe 15 or 20 charge cycles on it. Any red alarm on the RC-1 kind of freaks me out.

its to do with the Batteries management system that is constantly protecting the battery during use ,whether it is in flight, or being charged
going full bore in sports mode requires a lot of current pull from the battery and to stop it overheating, that is what the message was saying
its not just the motors that require power but all the other electronics in the drone as well

I've been dealing with "battery over current" issues forever. DJI seems kinda
clueless about it.
The mini 3 batteries are Li-ion. They can't handle high energy draw (sport mode) for any more than about 10 seconds before they start to gasp. Lipo batteries (the older drones) can output high surge for longer - that's the Lipo's party piece. Main benefit with Li-ion batteries? Much greater discharge/recharge lifespan compared to the Lipo. Li-ion cells will recharge well up to 1000 times compared to Lipo, which has a useful recharge lifespan of 150x absolute maximum before it fails to hold a charge.

Thanx for a good explanation you would think DJI would know about, Makes sense. I switch back to "normal" mode when it happens. Time for a couple of other questions? Why it doesn't happen all the time and if I continue flying in "sport" with that warning showing, can I damage the drone or battery?

Reactions: Felix le Chat
Thanx for a good explanation you would think DJI would know about, Makes sense. I switch back to "normal" mode when it happens. Time for a couple of other questions? Why it doesn't happen all the time and if I continue flying in "sport" with that warning showing, can I damage the drone or battery?
If you ignore the warning you will probably end up with a critically low battery warning a lot sooner than you expected it to happen.

If you experience these warnings sporadically, there is a good chance that other flight factors play a significant part in the equation, such as encountering shear, or head wind, which would force the drone to work harder for 'x' number of seconds to compensate, drawing even more current than that being used to fly it like a bat on cocaine.

Drawing too much current too quickly will cause electrolyte decomposition in the medium to long term and creates a lot of heat into the bargain. Used a bank of Li-ion batteries for domestic A/C (through a 2KW inverter) for over a decade and the high-draw electrical items like a kettle or a toaster kicked the bejeezus out of them. Same principle here.

Reactions: PhoenixBird
Actually, if you read the fine print on the mini3 batteries, reg or plus, they state they are LiPo's.

And if you read the DJI published specs printed in the DJI published manual you'll find that the manufacturer states they are Li-ion. 😉
Exactly so which do you trust? The label on the battery itself or what is published in the manual?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown