DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro restrictions

dimichb

Reactions
Hi. I am a newbie to Mini series drone. I have used previously Mavic Air and Mavic Air 2 drone and quite familiar with zone restrictions. I have purchased Mini 3, thinking that I would be able to by pass the majority of restrictions as this drone is less than 250g. But today was my first attempt to flight it at a lower altitude by Buttonville airport, and drone would not take off. I checked with Nav Drone software provided by Nav Canada, and I am allowed to fly in the airspace. Also my account is verified with DJI, and I have flown other DJI drones in USA, but DJI and Canada regulations always seem to give me problems. Any suggestions? All input is really appreciated. Also I do have my drone license in Canada as well, just in case, that may be an issue.

You need authorisation when flying in the blue area.
Grey is restricted to 60 m AGL and red should be completely out of limits as far as DJI Geo zoning is concerned.

1669704332611.png

Even if you are legally allowed to fly there without restrictions (which I don't know but highly doubt), DJI is limiting drones precautionary. Normally, upon take off you should be able to authorise with data connection enabled for some parts.

Reactions: Aerophile
I have always found it better to do the geozone unlock procedure from home and often do a custom unlock, though that hasn't been 100% fool-proof either. As someone said above you need authorization from the Canadiian authority which you provide as proof for unlocking. Again, IMO it's best done from the convenience of home where you know you will have adequate wifi.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Well, here is interesting take on DJI restrictions. Under Canadian law (Transport Canada and Nav Canada), i am allowed to fly mini drones in red zone, no authorization required, and no such thing can be provided by them as no authorization required. But DJI has decided to regulate their own zone, and close area even when it is permitted by law. Also it is almost impossible to get through fly safe to approve something like that as well. And no appeal process exist with in DJI company. Time to look at other drone manufactures.

Another manufacturer is not the thing you need to fix here, but to understand general safety around airports and restricted airspace. DJI is just providing some very basic limitations to avoid any problems beforehand.

Are you sure, even if the Canadian law considers sub 250 g micro drones, you can fly anywhere?
I don't think so, see the following quote:

Pilots of micro drone don’t need to register their drone or get a drone pilot certificate to fly them. Pilots of micro drones are not bound by the same requirements as other drones. However, you must not operate your drone in a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of anyone.

While there are no prescriptive elements of the regulations, there is an expectation that the pilot of a micro drone to use good judgment, identify potential hazards, and take all necessary steps to avoid any risks associated with flying your drone.

As a good practice, you should always:

• maintain the drone in direct line of sight
  • do not fly your drone above 400 feet in the air
  • keep a safe lateral distance between your drone and any bystanders
  • stay far away from aerodromes, airport, heliport and waterdrome
  • avoid flying near critical infrastructure (utilities, communication towers, bridges, etc.)
  • stay clear of aircrafts, at all time
  • do a pre-flight inspection of your drone
  • keep the drone close enough to maintain the connection with the remote controller
  • avoid special aviation or advertised events
  • Follow these guidelines to avoid flying in a negligent or reckless manner and being subject to fines. Enjoy a safe flight and minimize the risk of incidents. Remember: if you feel that your flight is risky, don’t do it.

Drones are considered aircraft under the Aeronautics Act and Canadian Aviation Regulations and are therefore prohibited to enter the following zones without the proper authorizations:
    • Class F Special Use Restricted Airspace
    • Over a forest fire area or any area located within five nautical miles of a forest fire area, or in any airspace for which a NOTAM for Forest Fire Aircraft Operating Restrictions has been emitted
    • Zones where a 5.1 of the Aeronautics Act restrict the use of airspace to all aircraft has been emitted

1669763192549.png

1669763080588.png

Beside that, you always can apply for zone authorisation at DJI: DJI FlySafe

Last edited:
Reactions: Pedwards
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member