DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini SE for son to learn on?

westwind77

Reactions
My son has all sorts of RC 'toys'.....Traxxas Maxx, Slash, Erevo.....Proboat Sonicewake, etc.

He has expressed more interest lately in using a drone. I have bought him a couple cheaper ones without GPS that drift a fair bit with a breeze (which we have a lot of living by the coast), but has not liked them due to the constant correction needed.

I have not let him fly my MPP yet, but he does use the DJI Flight Simulator on my computer from time to time so is familiar with the controls.

How is the Mini SE? Overall thoughts? Good for a 'leaning drone' with GPS?

Thanks!

@westwind77 have to agree with @Yogi053 on this one ,get the Mini2
and then even if your son's interest in drones wanes after a short time
you will have a great little drone to go with your collection
and if he does really get into the hobby ,then the Mini2 will give him a good grounding

My #1 recommendation for adult learners is the Mini 2.
* It is a very capable drone with really recent tech in an inexpensive package
* It does very well in the quality of stills and video
* Even if “outgrown”, it is still very useful to owners of larger drones as a lightweight alternative for hiking, sightseeing, travel, etc
* If it isn’t used or is replaced it has good resale value

Would you consider these as relevant to your son, his maturity, and level of interest?

I love my SE. You can't beat the value it represents it's price point, you'll be able to buy accessories and refresh for less the price of the 2. In my house this would be also a function of how old the child was and how much money we wanted to spend and how drone crazy the child was.

The SE is a solid little drone, it would make a great gift :)

Reactions: macdog and Gernith
The mini and Mini SE are both great drones. I love the Mini 2 (fly more). I wouldn't worry too much about crashing the Mini vs, the Mini2. The Mini 2 (as I always say) is a TANK in the air. It will be a lot more stable in the air than the Mini. And if your son is used to flying non-GPS drones; the Mini 2 will be MUCH easier to operate. I have my Mini 2 on me literally every time I leave the house because is is so portable, takes me less than 20 seconds from case to the air and I am always ready to fly/film. The Mini2 is my favorite to fly second only to the Yuneec Typhoon H and that is in a completely different category. Good luck in your decision. Your son will be happy with either.

I ended up getting him the Mini SE - it is a great little drone! He has flown it about 6 times and it has preformed flawlessly and even handles the wind well. This is the perfect little drone for anyone looking to get into the 'hobby' without having to spend too much $$$. Thanks for all your thoughts!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll