DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Moab, Utah - Hurrah Pass & Chicken Corners - BLM Off-Roading

macfawlty

Reactions
It's been nearly 25 years since my first and only visit to Moab, Utah. So long in fact, a that time I was using a film camera (before DSLR/Mirrorless cameras). This time, I was better equipped with my trusty Sony a7r2, Mavic 3 Classic and 2 cameras mounted to the hood and windshield to capture the epic drive along the edge of the Canyon overlooking the Colorado River. Here's a link to my photos - Moab, Utah - Oct. 2023

_A7R0641-Pano.jpg_A7R1332-Pano-Edit.jpg
_A7R0791-Pano-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome video! Well put together!

I thought it was really powerful. Can you imagine what the first early explorers thought when they reached that point? Well done video.

I thought it was really powerful. Can you imagine what the first early explorers thought when they reached that point? Well done video.

The early explorers obviously had many challenges navigating the Southwest, which likely tempered their perspective of the vast awe-inspiring landscapes of the area, especially the Colorado River Basin.

Here's a link to my photos (nearly every photo in Moab is a pano). - Moab, Utah - Oct. 2023

If you're planning a visit to Moab, I highly recommend this Hurrah Pass>Chicken Corners off-road trail. The scenery on the drive to the start of Hurrah Pass is nearly as feature-filled and begins just on the edge of Moab. The entire Hurrah>Chicken drive can be accomplished in a day. Best to start early to allow time for aerials and photos. Bring extra drone batteries. The trail is rated easy to moderate, but you're best off renting a modified Jeep for the day.

Of course, you'll want to spend some time in Arches and Canyonlands NP with the crowds of tourists, but I greatly preferred this off-road experience, where I could legally fly the drone and wasn't rubbing elbows with other photographers taking the same photos we've all seen a thousand times.

Here's a backstory to Hurrah Pass/Chicken Corners:
Local lore says old-time ranchers who grazed their cattle in the far reaches of southeastern Utah named the route. High desert pastures offered ample grass and water from the river, but was accessed only by a cliff-side narrow trail. In some cases, cowboys were known to unsaddle their horses so that the animals could get under the rim without the horn and stirrups scraping the rock, which could spook an animal and cause it to fall off the cliff. Other tales tell of livestock being blindfolded and led along the hairpin trail. (source: Tales of Trails: Hurrah Pass to Chicken Corners - The Times-Independent)

Early Explorers - Exploration - Moab Museum

Thanks for the background info Mac. Very interesting. In my younger days, I’d have been all over that trip, probably on a quad or side by side though.

Thanks for the background info Mac. Very interesting. In my younger days, I’d have been all over that trip, probably on a quad or side by side though.
There are a whole variety of vehicles on those trails. Depends on how much dirt you want in your teeth and nostrils. I rented a modded Jeep Rubicon and rode my 60yo a$$ in comfort. Of course, there are some extremely challenging trails around Moab if that’s what you’re into, but my interest is in the scenery, flying, filming and photography.

It's been nearly 25 years since my first and only visit to Moab, Utah. So long in fact, a that time I was using a film camera (before DSLR/Mirrorless cameras). This time, I was better equipped with my trusty Sony a7r2, Mavic 3 Classic and 2 cameras mounted to the hood and windshield to capture the epic drive along the edge of the Canyon overlooking the Colorado River. Here's a link to my photos - Moab, Utah - Oct. 2023

View attachment 169328View attachment 169329
View attachment 169331
truly stunning scenery 👍🏻

Looks like you could spend years in this area and never get bored.
Moab is the gateway to the big 5 National Parks of the Southwest; Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce and Capital Reef. But, there are also state parks, BLM land, etc. Moab and Southern Utah in general has something for everyone. Climbing, hiking, mountain & road biking, rafting & speed boating, winter skiing and all manner of motorized off-roading and general road tripping.

I went to Moab almost 20 years back and loved it. I didn't have a drone back then (was that even a thing then?) but I could imagine how much better the experience might have been if I had one.

I drove my own un-modded Jeep wrangler out there pulling a pop-up camper (from Indiana - quite the trip) and I'm pretty sure that's one of the trails we went on.

Seeing your pictures & video makes me REALLY want to go back.

Thanks for taking us along on the journey.

I went to Moab almost 20 years back and loved it. I didn't have a drone back then (was that even a thing then?) but I could imagine how much better the experience might have been if I had one.

I drove my own un-modded Jeep wrangler out there pulling a pop-up camper (from Indiana - quite the trip) and I'm pretty sure that's one of the trails we went on.

Seeing your pictures & video makes me REALLY want to go back.

Thanks for taking us along on the journey.
Definitely make a point to go back. For no good reason, it took me 25 years despite the huge impression it had on me at the time.

Reactions: finity

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas