DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moab, Utah June 2019

simbaboy

Reactions
I love flying my Mavic Pro here.
But need to be careful when there is high cliffs and rock formations on many sides.

Next to the Colorado River. I did lose GPS signal here and did end up crashing the drone on the cliff on the other side of the road. Lesson learned. Only 1 prop was chipped. I replaced all 4.

phone picture

at Gemini Bridges, Moab, Utah. There were too many spectators and i landed as people were beginning to come close to me and asking questions as to what kind of drone, how much it cost, is it easy to fly, etc. I am normally very friendly but told them let me land the drone so they could see it. I also told them it was too windy up there and probably best to stop flying.

Looks like you were lucky to be able to access the drone after the crash. It could have lodged itself up a steep slope.

Reactions: simbaboy
My favorite state, Utah!! I shot many pic's there on my SLR as I didn't own a drone last time there. Good stuff! Good luck with more,..

Looks like you were lucky to be able to access the drone after the crash. It could have lodged itself up a steep slope.

It was stuck up a steep slope. I tried to climb but was not able to. I tried for at least half hour but I could get up about 20 feet but then it got steep. The rock/gravel was very loose and would give out underneath me. I decided to go back to my hotel, get my more grippier boots and hiking sticks.

When I got to the same area again there was a truck parked there and a young guy (Calob) was standing by his truck taking river pictures. He saw me changing my shoes and get my hiking sticks and so he asked me if there was a trail nearby. I explained to him what had happened earlier and showed him the general direction where the drone was. He says "I see it, you want me to go get it". I looked at his feet and he is wearing sandals. I offer him my boots and sticks and he says he did not need them and he would be right back.

It took Calob 30 seconds to get to my drone and he was half way down before I motioned him to stay where he was so I could take a picture. He protested my offer of a little tip but finally accepted $10.

Here is Calob--my drone hero. Here he is holding my drone in his Left hand telling me the drone is still on and feels warm.

Valley Of The Gods, Utah.
Open spaces and no signs forbidding drones.

I found a Gardner's Knee Pad in the trunk that I use to help me with trailer tasks. I used it as my launching/landing pad.

Reactions: Thomas B
Sweet! The Valley Of The Gods has been on my “drone cam bucket list” for some time.

I could easily spend hours there flying the camera. It would be good area to practice different modes. I think waypoint missions once set up would allow spectacular videography- - No restrictions, almost no traffic and no pedestrian and open spaces so no GPS interference/drop outs.

Lots of scenic spots around Moab, Utah but the National Parks and State Parks have drone restrictions (rightfully so) and other BLM lands have high cliffs all around so have to be careful.

Simba

non drone pic

Reactions: PAW and Thomas B
Very, very nice!! I was there one time about 18 years ago and brought back many memories. Wish I had a drone then!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000