DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moments inattention crash, sheared Gimbal.

wowography

Reactions
So disappointed in myself for an embarrassing takeoff crash. I piloted my MPP straight up into a tree branch maybe 20ft off the ground. I was able to catch the now plummeting aircraft before landing in the snow. What’s interesting is the gimbal is literally sheared off it’s vibration plate and ribbon cable leaving those rubber bands intact. I fly with the Pgytech lens hood. Could this hood, also sheared off it’s mounting clips but otherwise un-damaged have been the shearing mechanism?
b9eb7238b04fc7ade1238f2b16a94cb8.jpg

5f6b998f979afbc769e34b1f2550134f.jpg

I have both a State Farm policy and DJI Care Refresh. The gimbal assembly was not able to be found, as such DJI Care policy doesn’t apply. Not wanting to make a claim on a brand new State Farm policy I’ve since purchased a gimbal from Amazon ($239) and was flying again a few days later.
I do realize the gimbal was probably a goner anyway, I was thinking my efforts to give that very same gimbal some lateral protection using the hood was a smart thing, Hmm, not so sure I will buy it again?

Did you ask DJI if they would cover it under Refresh before you bought a new gimbal?

Nope. I had you in mind the moment I caught it. I researched the T&C of the Care policy. It stated that a missing component of the aircraft, ‘gimbal’ is noted in the text is not covered. I guess if I found it in pieces that would be ok.

Nope. I had you in mind the moment I caught it. I researched the T&C of the Care policy. It stated that a missing component of the aircraft, ‘gimbal’ is noted in the text is not covered. I guess if I found it in pieces that would be ok.

Thanks for pointing that out, and sorry to hear about the crash but glad you got it up in the air again.

For other members that have Refresh, that's an important fact to consider.

Thanks for pointing that out, and sorry to hear about the crash but glad you got it up in the air again.

For other members that have Refresh, that's an important fact to consider.

As a subject matter expert on Mavic aircraft, I’m sure you seen first hand and repaired all sorts of mishaps. Is this shearing similar to that of a crumple zone in a car crash?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jageist