Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

More M2ED thermal testing

RCdancer

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Site
www.dronesar.info
Still too nasty for flight test, but here are more ground tests of the thermal camera - this time in fog. Drone was on the garage floor and the wife was 100 ft out in the woods. This was challenging because she had her back to me and was all bundled up with no flesh exposed.

First pic is visible light. Wife is between the two trees to the left of the basket ball goal. All other pics are tests of various settings. 28 and 32 are playing with the isotherm settings. The isotherm settings permit you to specify a specific temp range. It's obvious that you need to experiment and understand the thermal settings because what is optimum at night will be different from daylight in the fog. You need to become proficient at dialing in the optimum thermal setting for the conditions. The isotherm shows great promise once you understand the best settings for the specific conditions the drone is in.

It's apparent that extensive practice and testing with the thermal camera settings in all kinds of conditions is required to be able to effectively use the M2ED for SAR operations.

Attachments

• DJI_0015.JPG
    DJI_0015.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 87
  • DJI_0016.JPG
    DJI_0016.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DJI_0018.JPG
    DJI_0018.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 80
  • DJI_0020.JPG
    DJI_0020.JPG
    303.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DJI_0022.JPG
    DJI_0022.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 80
  • DJI_0024.JPG
    DJI_0024.JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DJI_0026.JPG
    DJI_0026.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DJI_0026.JPG
    DJI_0026.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DJI_0028.JPG
    DJI_0028.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 82
  • DJI_0032.JPG
    DJI_0032.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
RCdancer, from the photos above, I can see that you have not accounted for the paralax view and aligned the overlay of the visible with with the thermal in the MSX view. I have seen in some Youtube videos that there is a control for aligning the outline with the image.

Do you have any image examples with Blackhot palette? I find Blackhot is excellent for picking out a heat signature.

Do you have any image examples with Blackhot palette? I find Blackhot is excellent for picking out a heat signature.
Here HotSpot images:HotSpot1.JPGHotSpot2.JPG

Reactions: DavidNDC
Dear RCdancer, thank you for the testing and images provided.

Before buying myself a M2ED I need to understand if it is possible to get as output the "raw" thermal imagery, without the optical imagery overlay. Is it possible from the settings provided by DJI in the software interface?

From the FLIR Lepton 3.5 datasheet it seems possibile as it says "User-selectable 14-bit, 8-bit (AGC applied)", but I'm not quite sure if DJI kept that possibility in M2ED hardware+software implementation as I only see heavily modified JPEGs scaled from 160x120 to 640x480 and overlayed with the data from optical sensor.

I only see heavily modified JPEGs scaled from 160x120 to 640x480 and overlayed with the data from optical sensor.
You see it right. With the current firmware of the M2ED only 'simple' .JPGs are created from either the IR or MSX selection in the Pilot app. (No RJPG)

Reactions: mantelmavic
You see it right. With the current firmware of the M2ED only 'simple' .JPGs are created from either the IR or MSX selection in the Pilot app. (No RJPG)

Thank you Keule, that is exactly my point.
In that case, I hope at least that the "pure" IR .JPGs retain thermal information and not just the visual palette.

I hope at least that the "pure" IR .JPGs retain thermal information and not just the visual palette.
Sorry to burst your bubble ... ? there is no thermal info in the images.
They are just 'colorful' RGB images.

A friend and her dog. Much easier to see both when they were moving on the screen.DJI_0253.JPGDJI_0254.JPGDJI_0299.JPGDJI_0300.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidNDC

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada