DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

'Motor Obstructed' error

TheUnready

Reactions
Hi all,

My first post here after having had a M2P for a couple of weeks and flying it maybe half a dozen times or so. I'm still trying to get to grips with all the features, but I'm really enjoying flying it so far. As background, the drone was bought from new and has only been flown by me.

Unfortunately, my last flight at the weekend nearly ended in disaster. After 13 minutes or so of testing out the Sport mode up and down an 8 acre field, I was hovering the M2P at about 8 metres or so when it just suddenly dropped out of the sky and landed in the long grass beneath it (I say 'dropped out of the sky', but it's possible that it might just have been an extremely fast 'controlled' landing - the end result was the same, though).

When I got to the drone after the 'crash' I noticed a large blade of grass loosely wrapped around one of the props but, since the drone landed in a field of long grass about 6-8 inches high, I initially assumed that this had become entangled on landing. Luckily, nothing seemed to have broken, and I successfully powered the drone up for a short flight at low level afterwards just to check that it remained intact. I don't recall seeing any warning messages on my SC prior to the crash, but I think I was looking at the drone at the time so I would have missed them if they were there.

However, I'm obviously concerned as to why the drone dropped out of the sky, as I wouldn't want to repeat that at 120 metres above a hard surface! I've accessed the flight log/data according to the instructions from this site, and attached a compressed Excel file with the details (please let me know if this is the incorrect way of doing things). I've trimmed some of the repetitive columns from the log (metric/imperial measurements of the same values) and also removed the location data for privacy, but I've left pretty much everything else in there.

The log contains a 'Motor Obstructed' message at row ID 7817. With my untrained eye I can't see anything that's really different in the sensor values immediately prior to and after the error message, and I'd therefore appreciate it if the expert pilots on this forum could perhaps give it a quick once-over to see if there is anything I've missed. Although the blade of grass would seem to be the obvious culprit, I'm not convinced that a stray blade would have been blowing around 8 metres up and somehow managed to lodge itself in my drone.

In trying to establish whether or not this was a known issue, I carried out a Google search for the error message but nothing much came up. There were one or two forum threads that were slightly related, but these were where the poster had known that he'd potentially damaged his motor for one reason or another. I'm now very wary about flying the M2P at altitude in case the problem returns, so any thoughts that you may have on the potential causes of the problem will be warmly received.

In short, what I'm trying to establish is whether a random Motor Obstructed error/crash is a regular-ish occurrence with the M2P, or whether or not I was just unlucky with a passing blade of grass. Any experiences that other pilots might have had with this phenomenon would be especially useful to me.

TIA for your help.

Attachments

• 20200509-Flight record-motor obstructed.zip
    992.8 KB · Views: 2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61