DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mountains after storm

Would a filter help with this pic? Sun rays showing? Any advice, and prob not helping with sun directly at pick?

I saw a video where the creator suggested dropping the sun just out of camera view and letting the exposure adjust to the landscape. I used that strategy and it made the ground that much clearer. A filter might help, but it still might darken the landscape. IMO, you really don't want the sun in your pictures anyways unless there's an unusual condition going on.

for photos, just apply a grey graduated filter in post processing to the raw image to balance the foreground and back ground exposure

Doesn't come out as well when your using a jpg file.

2FD228D2-08E1-4D9F-84B6-3679232DC68A.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: itsneedtokno
Would a filter help with this pic? Sun rays showing? Any advice, and prob not helping with sun directly at pick?
What editing software do you use?

Typically, ND filters have no place in still photography...

Typically...

But, there's a few instances that require one.
Long exposure, Sunrise and Sunset.

Some may argue on the Sunrise/Sunset part but it makes post processing easier to me.

I use an ND16 when I'm going to frame the sun in my shot. It's like wearing sunglasses.

Shooting into the sun, except at sunrise and sunset, is rarely satisfactory. Color is poor, lens flares are frequent, and the dynamic range of the scene exceeds the dynamic range of the sensor.

Very nice shot. Composition comment: rule of thirds. Framing the sun off center, at about 1/3 of the way across the image, would be good.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Shooting into the sun, except at sunrise and sunset, is rarely satisfactory. Color is poor, lens flares are frequent, and the dynamic range of the scene exceeds the dynamic range of the sensor.
I love lens flares, and 5 AEB can give you plenty of information for a nice shot.

I'll share one with you.

One sec.View attachment fourfortytwo (1).jpg

Reactions: Made2Phly
So I took your image into Adobe Photoshop Camera RAW and did the following;
Adjusted the temperature to cooler, Adjusted exposure, contrast, shadows, textures clarity, and dehire. Then I used a GRADIENT filter to cool down the sky and add more blue. Here is my effort. Let me know your thoughts.

Dale

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 10.33.03 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 10.33.03 AM.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 11
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member