DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mountains and Failsafe RTH...

PeRo

Reactions
This is a good example how a combination of less critical events and failures can lead into serious troubles.

I am frequently flying in Mountain Regions, which can be challengng anyway. Therefore, Hand-Launching and Landing is sometimes the only way to get around safely.
Yesterday we climbed up to a small plateau with the wooden slope in the back and a big wall down approx. 400 m in front of us.

Configuration as used several times before:
AC: MPP, RC, Control-App: Litchi, DJI Goggles V1 for FPV (viewing only, no control). Obstacle avoidance off.

MPP was launched and hovering for further checks prior to the planned flight. Suddenly, things went nuts.

At 35s into flight with MPP still at 5m height and distance, Litchi reported "Loss of signal". Looking at the RC, "Signal lost" as well (glad to have the RC display). While checking the cause, the MPP started decending directly towards the thin branches of a tree below. It shredded the surrounding leafes, got into heavy tumbling but impressingly managed to stabilize itself. The decent continued towards a small rocky ledge as the last barrier (less than 1 m) between the Drone and the steep wall down into the ridge.

Apparently, after loosing the RC signal, the MPP has initiated RTH. BUT, due to the short distance to the HP, Autoland was applied - in accordance with the DJI Specs. Btw. DJI also recommends to launch only from appropriate areas...

Interestingly, after it went down, I checked the goggles and still got a live feed from the drone. Seems, it was the RC which failed to transmit. It has not happended before and with now 4 test flights later, no further problems have occured.

My learning: When launching a (DJI) drone in difficult terrain and hovering in closer proximity, be prepared for its option to Autoland where ever it actually is, rather than go back to the HP. So, either stay above the HP or move it to a save distance to ensure RTH will properly work.
And, consider to use Obstacle Avoidance and Landing Protection. Not sure if it has helped here - or might have finally deviated the Drone downhill.

See short clip here.

Never too late to improve flying skills...

Uum I would be wondering why it lost connection at 5m, did the controller indicate that it had lost connection?
I don't have an MPP but from memory most DJI controllers flash their charge LED's when there is no connection and you might also have an LCD display on the controller.

Uum I would be wondering why it lost connection at 5m, did the controller indicate that it had lost connection?
I don't have an MPP but from memory most DJI controllers flash their charge LED's when there is no connection and you might also have an LCD display on the controller.
Still no idea why the RC suddenly lost connection at 5m distance and unobstructed view. Never happened before. The Logs don't tell anything as they stopped right with the loss of connection.
And yes, the RC indicated the failure in the display prior to RTH-Autolanding kicked in.

Still no idea why the RC suddenly lost connection at 5m distance and unobstructed view. Never happened before. The Logs don't tell anything as they stopped right with the loss of connection.
And yes, the RC indicated the failure in the display prior to RTH-Autolanding kicked in.
When launching from ground, wait for drone to hover until you hear, Home Point has been recorded. If I were to hand launch I'd rise to 10' and if RTH message did not come, I'd set it manually through DJI GO settings. If this procedure is followed, when signal is lost, drone rises to preset height and automatically RTHs.

When launching from ground, wait for drone to hover until you hear, Home Point has been recorded. If I were to hand launch I'd rise to 10' and if RTH message did not come, I'd set it manually through DJI GO settings. If this procedure is followed, when signal is lost, drone rises to preset height and automatically RTHs.

Marty, that's a different case here. HP has been recorded properly, but a specific behavior prevented the MPP from returning to it. As described in the Mavic Manual, in case of the Aircraft distance within 5m (16ft) from HP, it will descend straigt down to the ground - and does not go back to the HP.

So, with the Remote Control Uplink Signal lost, I could do nothing than desperately watch the AC activating the Failsafe -Autoland procedure, which finally brought it down within 1 m from the rim of the big wall. Big luck.

Be aware of this specifics, therefore either chose a large and save area to fly or keep the AC distance > 5m to enable true RTH in case of need.

Marty, that's a different case here. HP has been recorded properly, but a specific behavior prevented the MPP from returning to it. As described in the Mavic Manual, in case of the Aircraft distance within 5m (16ft) from HP, it will descend straigt down to the ground - and does not go back to the HP..
Mea culpa. Forgot about that. Good point to remember. Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ