DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moving while in Hyperlapse

ivar_pb

Reactions
Hi all!
When I fly in Hyperlapse mode, and it doesnt seem to matter what mode I use: waypoints, circle etc. The drone starts panning to the left. And the strange thing is that the map on my phone shows that the drone is pointing in the right direction, even while it starts to pan away from the pre-set angle. In some of the modes I can take control over the horisontal movements and try to get it back to the right angle, but in waypoints I am only able to watch it move more and more left until its filming something completely different than what was intended. I willl leave a few links to some video examples of this. I dont seem to find anybody else writing about this online so far. Is it some obvious mistake I have done or is it time for the drone to be repaired somehow? The drone works seemingly perfect in any other way. Thank you guys for any helpfull suggestions!

Waypoints (supposed to pan up towards the ship):
Waypoints 2 (supposed to focus on the mountain):
Course lock:
Circle (around the closest ship):

Last edited:
I'm having a similar problem but only at night it seems. Here's an example, the hyperlapse was set to pan from the left to the right and angle downward but as you can see in the video for the first 1/4 or so it goes the wrong direction and even wobbles around before starting to move correctly. Wondering if you found a solution.

Hi Rob!

Finally someone else who struggles with the same. Or, Im sorry you do. I reached out to DJI with this issue and sent them all of the above videos and their only reply was that I should film myself while I prepare the hyperlapse function so that they could see if I was doing it wrong, I guess. I never really got to do that as I would then need a second person to come with me to fly, so I simply sent it back to the store I bought it from and told them whats wrong. I have found that the compass is somehow affecting the results. If I dont callibrate the compass the flight path of the drone when doing waypoints from a previous flight will be waaay off. After calibration its better. still not great though. But you should calibrate the compass before each flight it seems like. I somehow couldnt find any info about this issue online and as far as I know we are the only ones with this issue. You say you only struggle with this at night? I find that strange since it shouldnt use any visual sensors to navigate itself anyway. Only thing I could think of is to try to turn of the motion sensors while doing the hyperlapse, calibrate the compas and and see if that helps? Wishing you best of luck to solve this one :)

Hi Rob!

Finally someone else who struggles with the same. Or, Im sorry you do. I reached out to DJI with this issue and sent them all of the above videos and their only reply was that I should film myself while I prepare the hyperlapse function so that they could see if I was doing it wrong, I guess. I never really got to do that as I would then need a second person to come with me to fly, so I simply sent it back to the store I bought it from and told them whats wrong. I have found that the compass is somehow affecting the results. If I dont callibrate the compass the flight path of the drone when doing waypoints from a previous flight will be waaay off. After calibration its better. still not great though. But you should calibrate the compass before each flight it seems like. I somehow couldnt find any info about this issue online and as far as I know we are the only ones with this issue. You say you only struggle with this at night? I find that strange since it shouldnt use any visual sensors to navigate itself anyway. Only thing I could think of is to try to turn of the motion sensors while doing the hyperlapse, calibrate the compas and and see if that helps? Wishing you best of luck to solve this one :)
I thought it may have something related to the compass, I've actually been getting a compass error but that's usually because I launch off the top of my metal car. I will try recalibrating it and also launching off some bare ground. While I'm not happy to see you having this problem also I was glad to find your thread here. Here's a video I took today of a very similar movement, now I'm wondering if another factor is at play, I assumed perhaps it used some kind of visual cues for positioning but from what you're saying it's all related to the compass or GPS.

Somehow your last film seems flawless to me?

Taking off on a flat non-metallic surface might help. Let me know how that improves the footage.

I will try to remember to write here when I hear from the store again.

Hope it works out for you!

Somehow your last film seems flawless to me?

Taking off on a flat non-metallic surface might help. Let me know how that improves the footage.

I will try to remember to write here when I hear from the store again.

Hope it works out for you!
Yes, the last film taken during the day was perfect. I'm actually wondering if my problems could be related to the Firehouse Arc V strobe I have mounted atop the battery. I'm going to try flying tomorrow during the day with the strobe mounted and turned on to see if it does that leftward motion. If it does I'll go through calibrating the compass and IMU to see if that helps but I don't want to do that before testing and seeing if the strobe has something to do with this issue.

Just a follow up, calibrating everything and not launching off my car roof seems to have solved any issues. Not sure if it's related or not but I haven't had the weird leftward motion anymore.

Reactions: Loonie01
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS