DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP1 getting crazy

BigBoozer

Reactions
Earlier this year I was flying my MP1 on the Andes, at 5,300-5,600 meters of altitude. That's beyond DJI's specs for MP1, but I have done it already two years earlier and all was fine. I needed to shoot new images of the same gorgeous mountain.
At a given moment, flying VLOS, with the bird not farther than 300 meters from RC, I lose the signal, the image on my tablet freezes. After 25-30 seconds it comes back, and I can continue flying. This happens three times during this flight. See it here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ever seen anything like this?

The second part of the video shows how the focus goes away during flight, even if the subject is not totally blurry. This killed almost half of my shooting, and I could not realize it due to excessive sunlight on my tablet. Anyway, that's history.
Now I know that I must set the focus in AF at the very beginning, then I must switch the focus contro to Manual. But I would appreciate a comment, if something looks strange in the camera behavior. Thanks a lot.

Earlier this year I was flying my MP1 on the Andes, at 5,300-5,600 meters of altitude. That's beyond DJI's specs for MP1, but I have done it already two years earlier and all was fine. I needed to shoot new images of the same gorgeous mountain.
At a given moment, flying VLOS, with the bird not farther than 300 meters from RC, I lose the signal, the image on my tablet freezes. After 25-30 seconds it comes back, and I can continue flying. This happens three times during this flight. See it here:

Ever seen anything like this?

The second part of the video shows how the focus goes away during flight, even if the subject is not totally blurry. This killed almost half of my shooting, and I could not realize it due to excessive sunlight on my tablet. Anyway, that's history.
Now I know that I must set the focus in AF at the very beginning, then I must switch the focus contro to Manual. But I would appreciate a comment, if something looks strange in the camera behavior. Thanks a lot.
If it wasn't you that yawed like that it's certainly not normal ... if this happened when you had RC connection it would have been recorded in both the mobile device .TXT & .DAT log. If it occurred while you was disconnected it's only recorded in the AC onboard .DAT log.

Go here & read up on how to retrieve the different logs ---> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide (see under section 3.)

If the yawing happened with connection start with attaching the .TXT log here in a new post ... if connection was lost, retrieve the AC onboard .DAT log & put it in some cloud storage you have (dropbox for instance) & share the link to it.

Can't help out regarding the out of focus problem unfortunately ...

If it wasn't you that yawed like that it's certainly not normal ... if this happened when you had RC connection it would have been recorded in both the mobile device .TXT & .DAT log. If it occurred while you was disconnected it's only recorded in the AC onboard .DAT log.

Go here & read up on how to retrieve the different logs ---> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide (see under section 3.)

If the yawing happened with connection start with attaching the .TXT log here in a new post ... if connection was lost, retrieve the AC onboard .DAT log & put it in some cloud storage you have (dropbox for instance) & share the link to it.

Can't help out regarding the out of focus problem unfortunately ...

Thanks slup, the three events happened when the RC connection was lost, this I remember well. I did not see all that spinning around on my display, until I reviewed the low-res clips few hours later. (And I did not realize how many minutes I did shoot out of focus, as well...) What is strange is that the drone spins twice clockwise and once counter clockwise.
Unfortunately I had to clean the flight cache on the IPad after my trip, to free memory. I will see if I have some data left on the tablet and in the AC, in some DJI folder.

Thanks slup, the three events happened when the RC connection was lost, this I remember well. I did not see all that spinning around on my display, until I reviewed the low-res clips few hours later. (And I did not realize how many minutes I did shoot out of focus, as well...) What is strange is that the drone spins twice clockwise and once counter clockwise.
Unfortunately I had to clean the flight cache on the IPad after my trip, to free memory. I will see if I have some data left on the tablet and in the AC, in some DJI folder.
If your RC was disconnected you will not have the yawing period in any of the mobile device logs ... only in the AC onboard .DAT log.

If your RC was disconnected you will not have the yawing period in any of the mobile device logs ... only in the AC onboard .DAT log.
I installed the latest version of DJI Assistant 2 (the previous one did not run with Windows 10) and downloaded from the AC a 1 GB .dat file, who seems to contain 7 flights only, none of them made in that day.
But I cannot see anything in the Viewer that opens up when I click on Flight Data. It digests the whole .dat file and gives nothing out... Will see tomorrow, now it's bed time. Thanks!

I confirm that I installed the latest version of DJI Assistant 2 and downloaded from the AC a 1 GB .dat file, who seems to contain 7 flights only, none of them made in that day.
But I cannot see anything using DatCon.3.7.5 since it says that I do not have the correct Java Environment package (...which is installed correctly on my PCs).

I wonder if this new version of video, made inserting the recording of my display during that flight, may help to understand the problem:

Many thanks.

I confirm that I installed the latest version of DJI Assistant 2 and downloaded from the AC a 1 GB .dat file, who seems to contain 7 flights only, none of them made in that day.
But I cannot see anything using DatCon.3.7.5 since it says that I do not have the correct Java Environment package (...which is installed correctly on my PCs).

I wonder if this new version of video, made inserting the recording of my display during that flight, may help to understand the problem:

Many thanks.
There is a bug in CsvView/DatCon 3.7.5 that points to the the wrong JRE downloads page. The correct one is here
64-bit Java for Windows

The .DAT produced by DJI Assistant 2 is actually a compressed file that will contain the FLYXXX.DAT that you want. Use ExtractDJI to decompress the Assistant 2 produced .DAT. ExtractDJI is bundled with DatCon and CsvView - you'll see it on the same system menu as CsvView or DatCon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
earthflute