DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP2 Gimbal Issues

SnowSkier

Reactions
Hi,

Last time I was flying I've noticed some gimbal issues on my 2nd Mavic2 Pro.
This never happen on the first one.
Does anyone knows how to fix it or should I send it to DJI Repair service?

Issue 1

Can you see the horizon pending down to the right while the drone is flying? And then getting straight again?

Issue 2

This is the 3rd time it happened since I have this 2nd drone. The gimbal gets down when I'm pulling it backwards.

Can someone help on this matter?

Forgot to mention that the drone was in cinematic mode and I did calibrated the Gimbal, Compass and IMU before. Maybe the cinematic mode is the problem on the first issue?

Check the video:

Run the video forward not backward, so we can see when it starts, at the beginning or end of your filming. I have notice a slight bump sometimes on my M2P video, where is did what your No.2 video showed.

Issue number two is known issue with the Pro 2. Gimbal hits the top of the drone and slams down. Problem with normal mode or sport mode. Worse in wind. There is no fix. I have 2 pros and both do on most flights if I exceed 15 mph. If I fly forward it will do it in mid flight usually. I tried flying backwards and thought I had the solution but once again if you slow down too fast it exceed around 15 mph the gimbal hits the top and slams down.

Paul C

Run the video forward not backward, so we can see when it starts, at the beginning or end of your filming. I have notice a slight bump sometimes on my M2P video, where is did what your No.2 video showed.
Ok. Later today I'll post it here
In addition, with my first Mavic 2 Pro, I used to fly at top speed and never happened!

Ok. Later today I'll post it here
In addition, with my first Mavic 2 Pro, I used to fly at top speed and never happened!
Interesting... Seems like a design fault to me then. Maybe with new ones or something? Strange how Paul 2660 syas it is a know issue. If it is because of what he says that should be a recalled item with a longer support to stop that happening. I now feel cheated, having bought that with such a know issue!!!!

Reactions: SnowSkier
I should also note it a much bigger issue when you fly with the gimbal pointed up slightly which I tend to do.

I can also add that it’s something that started after about 6 months of flying on my first Pro 2 and on the 2nd one the issue was there from day one. Faster you fly into wind the easier it seems to happen. Basically during the flight the gimbal seems to hit the top of the drone then re centers. It a very harsh and sudden movement. But recently even while flying backwards I still get the issue but only as I slow down to stop.

There have been several posts about the issue with the Pro 2.

Paul C

Reactions: SnowSkier
Any of the Mavics will do this. It has to do with the gimbal reaching its mechanical limits as it tries to keep the view stable with changes in AC flight angle. The default setting is to not let the user point the gimbal further up than horizontal. The upper limit has a few degrees more up that it uses for pitch stabilization. If you decide to remove the limit and point the gimbal further up than horizon, the gimbal no longer has any room to stabilize pitch when the AC tilts forward.

It would be good though if the gimbal would reposition itself to the visual angle it was before it hit its limit.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I should also note it a much bigger issue when you fly with the gimbal pointed up slightly which I tend to do.

I can also add that it’s something that started after about 6 months of flying on my first Pro 2 and on the 2nd one the issue was there from day one. Faster you fly into wind the easier it seems to happen. Basically during the flight the gimbal seems to hit the top of the drone then re centers. It a very harsh and sudden movement. But recently even while flying backwards I still get the issue but only as I slow down to stop.

There have been several posts about the issue with the Pro 2.

Paul C
I can understand it doing this also when you are flying backward, if you are stopping rather abruptly. When you do a fast stop from flying backwards, the drone will tilt rather a lot to stop as quickly as possible. By doing that you then change the amount of room the gimbal has left to operate in when trying to keep steady. I would suggest you do a test the moment you notice this happening by going away again and then returning the same speed but this time start to reduce your speed much more gradually. I think you may find you don't get that gimbal bump by coming back to a hover the slower gradual way, compared to the quick stop you may be trying, flying as you currently are.

There shouldn't be any problems either you fly fast or slow, yaw right or left, increasind or decreasing speed, flying foward or backward.
The first Mavic I had(and I still do) it flies without any gimbal issues. Or it did... I flew it for almost two years and it was flawless!
Unfortunately it was hit by a seagull and felt down from 30m, causing major problems in the gimbal and one arm with sensor. That's why I'm sending it in to DJI repair service. Meanwhile I bought this 2nd M2P and from flight one does have this gimbal stabilization problem that seems impossible to repair unless you send it to DJI to be changed for a new gimbal. At least that's what I've seen on multiple queries on internet, youtube, you name it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143