DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MPP Remote Control Calibration - Gimbal Wheel and Rotation Speed Proportionality

RadioFlyerMan

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Speed proportionality of the gimbal movement (the change in the rate it rotates up or down) is very important during video shoots. Rotate the wheel a little, and it moves slowly. Rotate the wheel a lot, and it moves faster.

After doing a Titan mod, I recalibrated the RC sticks. That calibration includes the gimbal up/down wheel. Since then, I've had a problem that the wheel had no speed proportionality in the down gimbal direction. It was full speed, or nothing. Up direction was just fine. I thought I messed up the wheel when I took my controller apart! This issue is separate from the gimbal gain settings. No amount of settings would fix my speed proportionality issue.

I just figured out what went wrong. When it calls for the wheel calibration, you rotate it left towards the blue dot, then to the right. My problem is that when I move the wheel to the left, I did it slowly and with very little movement. DON'T DO THAT! Move the wheel quickly and the full rotation of it's travel.

I just did the calibration first doing it slowly. It lost all speed proportionality in both directions. Then I did it full travel and quickly. It fixed my problem. I can now move my gimbal slow or fast, and I don't have to buy a new RC!

Last edited:
Speed proportionality of the gimbal movement (the change in the rate it rotates up or down) is very important during video shoots. Rotate the wheel a little, and it moves slowly. Rotate the wheel a lot, and it moves faster.

After doing a Titan mod, I recalibrated the RC sticks. That calibration includes the gimbal up/down wheel. Since then, I've had a problem that the wheel had no speed proportionality in the down gimbal direction. It was full speed, or nothing. Up direction was just fine. I thought I messed up the wheel when I took my controller apart! This issue is separate from the gimbal gain settings. No amount of settings would fix my speed proportionality issue.

I just figured out what went wrong. When it calls for the wheel calibration, you rotate it left towards the blue dot, then to the right. My problem is that when I move the wheel to the left, I did it slowly and with very little movement. DON'T DO THAT! Move the wheel quickly and the full rotation of it's travel.

I just did the calibration first doing it slowly. It lost all speed proportionality in both directions. Then I did it full travel and quickly. It fixed my problem. I can now move my gimbal slow or fast, and I don't have to buy a new RC!

Nice! This is something I’ve always wondered about actually. Recalibration now

Reactions: mereflyer
Nice! This is something I’ve always wondered about actually. Recalibration now

I hope someone else confirms my findings. And I’m not sure if it applies to other DJI models.

Reactions: mereflyer
I hope someone else confirms my findings. And I’m not sure if it applies to other DJI models.

Well I always did the same thing as you. Did it very slowly and I find my wheel to be extraordinary sensitive. I have my gimbal speed at 2 and my shooting at 26.

I hear these tutorials that say to have gimbal speed at like 14 and smoothing at like 16 and that’s seems so fast I couldn’t figure out why anyone would want it that fast especially for cinematic shooting. It was mind boggling to me. Even with it at 2 I have to do it ever so softly. I’ve just gotten use to it I guess. Maybe I know why now

Well I always did the same thing as you. Did it very slowly and I find my wheel to be extraordinary sensitive. I have my gimbal speed at 2 and my shooting at 26.

I hear these tutorials that say to have gimbal speed at like 14 and smoothing at like 16 and that’s seems so fast I couldn’t figure out why anyone would want it that fast especially for cinematic shooting. It was mind boggling to me. Even with it at 2 I have to do it ever so softly. I’ve just gotten use to it I guess. Maybe I know why now

Thanks, I didn’t think about that. Since I’ve got the wheel working, I’m going to revisit my gain, etc. settings.

FYI... This morning I modified my gimbal wheel by adding a lever for more precise control. I just cut a grounding connector, epoxied a rubber tip to it, and cyanoacrylate glued it to the bottom surface of the wheel. I have so much more control, I can turn my gain up to get fast rotation, yet I am able to be precise enough for slow rotation.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato