DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Multiple disconnects today

Brockrock

Reactions
Everything current. Latest firmware updated today - copter, RC, batts. 10.5" iPad Pro with latest iOS. Flew four batts, and during each flight, I lost LiveView two or three times. The message on the screen said that RC disconnected from the Aircraft, but this was not the case, as the first time it occured, I immediately pushed RTH on the RC, and when I closed and reopened the Fly App, it was in RTH Mode, plus, I knew it was because of the RC beeping. I swapped out the cable for batt 3, and the issue persisted. Sometimes, LiveView came back on its own, and if I rebooted the Fly App, it came back every time. Each flight was within 2000 feet or so. I began wondering if my iPad was getting a bit long in the tooth, but normally, when an iDevice is taxed beyond its capabilities, it will just crash the App. This was not an App crash. This was a loss of LiveView. Anyone else having issues with the latest and greatest?

Hope you get it solved. Possibly heat related on the iPad? Or a cable?

Hope you get it solved. Possibly heat related on the iPad? Or a cable?
Yeah. Thanks. It was maybe 85 degrees F, and I've never had any issues with that temp range. When I have had issues, the iPad just shuts down due to heat. I did swap the cable, and that did not change anything. Also, I flew three batts yesterday in similar conditions with the the prior firmware and didn't have a single glitch.

Yeah. Thanks. It was maybe 85 degrees F, and I've never had any issues with that temp range. When I have had issues, the iPad just shuts down due to heat. I did swap the cable, and that did not change anything. Also, I flew three batts yesterday in similar conditions with the the prior firmware and didn't have a single glitch.
That is disconcerting! I just updated to the latest and greatest, too! No flights yet, though...

I tend to be on the tail end of the update train. I have a mavic pro that is on a firmware that’s so old, I’ve never seen it listed on any list.

Reactions: Brockrock
That is disconcerting! I just updated to the latest and greatest, too! No flights yet, though...
It was mentioned on the DJI Forum to delete and reinstall the Fly App. I’ll try this and post an update next time I fly - maybe tomorrow. Hopefully that solves the issue.?‍♂️

It was mentioned on the DJI Forum to delete and reinstall the Fly App. I’ll try this and post an update next time I fly - maybe tomorrow. Hopefully that solves the issue.?‍♂️
I flew the MA2 tonight with an iPad Mini 4, and all new updates, and got out to 14,000 feet with no major issues. Small lag on the video feed a couple of times, and a minor loss of signal lasting 5 seconds when I dropped too low. This is consistent with prior flights in the same area with the MA2 before the updates. M2 is definitely better with a windsurfer in the same area, and I can fly lower with more signal stability, but I am not seeing major signal/video strength issues as a result of the new MA2 updates. Tested the new digital zoom in 4K, 2.7K and 1080p. Works pretty well. The 4x in 1080p is quite fuzzy, but the 2x versions are pretty good. Flew up on a perched osprey, and was able to fill the frame with him, without scaring him away, while keeping him sharp in 4K at 2x, similar to the M2Z. Nice MA2 update for me. Still prefer the M2P and M2Z, but this bodes well any M3P features. Zoom is also linear if you press and hold the zoom icon on the screen, and drag the slider up and down. Potential for manual dolly zoom exists on the MA2, especially in 1080 while flying away and zooming at the same time.

Last edited:
Everything current. Latest firmware updated today - copter, RC, batts. 10.5" iPad Pro with latest iOS. Flew four batts, and during each flight, I lost LiveView two or three times. The message on the screen said that RC disconnected from the Aircraft, but this was not the case, as the first time it occured, I immediately pushed RTH on the RC, and when I closed and reopened the Fly App, it was in RTH Mode, plus, I knew it was because of the RC beeping. I swapped out the cable for batt 3, and the issue persisted. Sometimes, LiveView came back on its own, and if I rebooted the Fly App, it came back every time. Each flight was within 2000 feet or so. I began wondering if my iPad was getting a bit long in the tooth, but normally, when an iDevice is taxed beyond its capabilities, it will just crash the App. This was not an App crash. This was a loss of LiveView. Anyone else having issues with the latest and greatest?

I have had this happen to me twice since the last Fly App update. (was fine before this)
FLy app drops out and then re-loads back to Live feed and is fine. Very concerning.

I have had this happen to me twice since the last Fly App update. (was fine before this)
FLy app drops out and then re-loads back to Live feed and is fine. Very concerning.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm seeing. I guess we shall see if more folks come on here and the DJI Forum and report this issue. We've been flying now for long enough that it does not create a panic moment as it probably would have during our early days, but for many folks, this is their first UAV, and a good old sudden drop out of LiveView can really get the heart pumping...

Another thing to note. One time I had the drop out while shooting a Timelapse. I closed and reopened the Fly App, and everything was steaming on as it was, as if the copter had no idea. That causes me to believe that this has something to do with the remote and/or tablet, and as mentioned above, I went ahead and deleted the Fly App and reinstalled. I'll see today if this makes any difference.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm seeing. I guess we shall see if more folks come on here and the DJI Forum and report this issue. We've been flying now for long enough that it does not create a panic moment as it probably would have during our early days, but for many folks, this is their first UAV, and a good old sudden drop out of LiveView can really get the heart pumping...

Another thing to note. One time I had the drop out while shooting a Timelapse. I closed and reopened the Fly App, and everything was steaming on as it was, as if the copter had no idea. That causes me to believe that this has something to do with the remote and/or tablet, and as mentioned above, I went ahead and deleted the Fly App and reinstalled. I'll see today if this makes any difference.

Yeah same here, video was recording and it carried on.
I probably had to wait 5-10seconds for the App to "reload" or do what ever it was doing and the drone was still recording.
It literally just dropped out back to the "connect" page. I Clicked "connect" and it asked what drone I wanted to connect to.
I was like: "The one flying fookin 50 meters away".
It automatically reconnected somehow. It wasn't me that reconnected it.
I was Using Android - Samsung A70.

I Clicked "connect" and it asked what drone I wanted to connect to.
I was like: "The one flying fookin 50 meters away".
LOL. Exactly my experience as well! I am using iOS, so it seems to not be either an Android or iOS thing.

I went thru this same issue on my MPP even tho I had a dedicated cable it turned out to be just that- the cable. I would try that before doing anything else...

Same issues but found that mine was heat related. 85 degrees with 48 percent relative humidity. When the temp dropped as well as the humidity everything functioned fine. Since then it appears that 85 degrees and above encounter issues. Not sure if its the heat or the humidity. Believe it's a heat thing. My IPad mini will show overheating and has shut down in the past. Just my experience.

Reactions: Brockrock
I went thru this same issue on my MPP even tho I had a dedicated cable it turned out to be just that- the cable. I would try that before doing anything else...
Thanks for the reply. I did try a second cable at the time I was having issues. The issues persisted, so it did not seem to be that, but yes, that was my first thought.

Same issues but found that mine was heat related. 85 degrees with 48 percent relative humidity. When the temp dropped as well as the humidity everything functioned fine. Since then it appears that 85 degrees and above encounter issues. Not sure if its the heat or the humidity. Believe it's a heat thing. My IPad mini will show overheating and has shut down in the past. Just my experience.

Yeah, it was in that temp range - 85-90 degrees - yesterday. I was flying from a shady spot which prevented issues with the iPad. I know it would have overheated if I was in the sun. I am beginning to think this was otherwise heat related though, and I appreciate your reply. After thinking about this a bit more, I never had any trouble with batt 1. It was well into batt 2 and multiple times with batt 3 that I had the disconnects, and I didn't let the copter sit much between flights... I brought 4 batts, but didn't even fly the fourth due to all the disconnects.

On another note, I don't remember if it was this forum or the Phantom forum, but a good bit back, I posted a question as to whether high humidity actually served to more efficiently cool the copter versus low humidity - assuming equal temperature. I think the consensus was that the more moisture in the air, the more potential there is to absorb heat away from the warm/hot areas of the copter while in flight, and I'm sure this is only enhanced by actually moving through the air rather than hovering stationary - such as a fixed position timelapse. Anyway, fly safe, and cool.. Take care!

I have this same problem when I use my Android tablet, but never when I use my Android phone. They connect with different cables, so it could be cable related. Needless to say, I stopped flying with the tablet. Both devises have the same version app.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Here in Florida we have as high temp yet higher humidity,.. can't say I've ever had that problem due to either.

It has finally cooled off a bit here in New England, and I have everything charged up for a flight session this evening. The temps should be 75-80 degrees rather than 85-90 (and probabaly closer to 90 when I last flew the Air2), and I'll report back if the dropout problem persists.

So, in my case, the issue is resolved. It turned out to be Lightning port on my iPad. I had multiple disconnects right away, and this time, I just let the copter hover nearby as I troubleshot. The first thing I did was check the plug at the RC which was solid, and then I gently wiggled the plug at the iPad. When I did that, the connection came and went, and that was the case with all three of my cables, one of which is an Apple OEM.

I keep a little spray bottle of 91% Isopropyl alcohol in my flight bag, and I use it to spray and then wipe off my hands and fingers prior to flying. This removes body oils that otherwise end up smudging my iPad screen, and I'm not a big fan of that. What I did was spray the alcohol directly onto my Apple Lightning plug several times followed by my inserting and removing it, and this seems to have taken care of the issue. I flew the rest of batt 1 and then two more batts with no disconnects on any of the cables. Good times...

Reactions: InvisibleName
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929