DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 My First Mavic Air 2 Adventure

Heindrich1988

Reactions
It's been just over a week since I bought my first drone, a Mavic Air 2. I did quite a lot of research before my purchase, but I've still had a lot to learn since, including flying my Mavic, taking pics/videos and dabbling in photo and video editing for the first time.

Last weekend, I went on a trip organised by my local DJI store to a scenic location about 4.5 hours drive away up in the mountains of northern Guangdong Province.

The first day was kind of a disaster. It rained all day, we had to hike nearly an hour to reach a village high up in the hills. I am sure the scenery is spectacular on a clear day, but with the rain and mountain mist, there wasn't much of a view at all and it would have been very reckless to fly any drones. That said, the village itself was like something preserved in time and possessed a certain rustic appeal.

mmexport1601357827857.jpg
Disclaimer: not my photo, a travel buddy took it with a serious looking camera.

The next day threatened to be a washout as well. But thankfully, there were some gaps in the rain for us to fly and take some interesting shots of the terraced hills that we came all the way for.

After I got home, I selected my two favourite clips and five pictures and applied the most basic amateur editing to them (just tweaking colours based on feeling, never learnt anything scientifically, though I plan to). So, presented below are the first pics/videos that I didn't just upload straight off the SD card. From my first ever drone trip. :)

欧家梯田2.jpg欧家梯田3.jpg

欧家梯田1.jpg

黑山梯田1.1.jpg

黑山梯田2.1.jpg

All constructive criticism and advice welcomed! I am a noob afterall.

Finally, a picture of the Mavic Squad, captured by a Mavic. (Not by me.)

Mavic Squad.jpg

Last edited:
Nice photos, remember "Rule of Thirds" for composition

I actually learnt about it on the first evening! But in between weather limitations (like low dense clouds) and trying to trouble shoot an issue caused by my own confusion, I didn't get a lot of air time to find proper compositions.

I welcome any recommendations for good teaching guides by the way.

Great start, go for similar to what you have but using reveals. From behind the trees to reveal the village, out of the fog is really cool but SKETCHY. Could just use the fog as a screen for a coming reveal, less sketchy, lol! Nice orbit! Edit your clips together to tell a story, a second ground based camera really helps. That one pictures you have adds a lot, just a few phone shots works wonders for me. A day in the life of a farmer there would be AWESOME, his room, hall to the kitchen, preparing to work. Out working . . . coming home to an interesting dinner. . . sexy wife. . .opps. Classically the drone is for establishing shots, a first macro look at a scene, can be great for closer in too but no audio. Local music and sounds would be HUGE for this one, and most all videos. Strong editing skills can make you a video wizard, now GO BIG and make us proud. I do appreciate how you used short clips of your best VS LONG CRAPPY FOOTAGE.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fara