DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My new multifunction powerpack!

Grand Mavic Villain/GMV

Reactions
Old my powerpack = 1Kw Power tank!! - By Grand Mavic Villain(GMV)

I was build complete my 1kwh powerpack in 2021.
But it have many problems, for example, limited functionality and weight.

Today's RC peripherals effectively support "more advanced and diverse functions" thanks to the rapid development of electrical engineering and electronics.

So!
I decided to create a 2023 Typy "New power pack" and completed this a while ago.

#Very effective and supports a variety of functions.

#Higher voltage concept (Before 12v → 2023 new is 24v)

----------------------------------------
Details :

No.1 Use "Autocad software", my own unique design! More smaller more compact more mobility!
No.2 Apply unlimit variable DC voltage supply using “Compact Digital charger” with digital substation (Variable voltage DC power output) function.

No.3 Reinforced safe function, Apply protection fuse(Short, Overcurrent), high accuracy low voltage cutoff digital circuit, Easy to view Battery remain gauge.

No.4 Multi USB output(Quick charge ready! @ Top plate 2 usb ports, 25W max, normally charge 15W @ front 2 blue color usb ports)

No.5 Ready multi access! 3 of XT60 - Digital charger, Highpower USB-PD (65w 100w 120w etc...), Automotive electronic devices (most automotive electronic devices today are 12v 24v free-voltage).... In fact, it is not really necessary due to "No.2"... Anyway, I very much prefer to keep this function (cigar socket)

And.....
Lastly... a smoker's precious best friend! electronic lighter! Haha!
(This is like my identiti. Most powerpacks do not support this function, but all i made powerpacks support the electronic lighter function without exception all!)

It was like that in the past, even the old 2021 powerpack is a Double e-lighter!, it still is....(one E-lighter) and it will always be that way - even if I quit smoking, e-lighters are still very useful in emergency situations or camping.

20230808_165558.JPG
# Front = You can see XT60, 5.5mm standard DC connector(5.5 x 2.3, High current specification) and other connection point.

Various digital chargers such as Imax B6 neo, ToolkitRc M6, and ISDT 608AC can use the XT60 terminal.
Additionally, these digital chargers support DC power supply function by “freely changing the voltage to the user’s desired setting.”

This means you can take advantage of unlimited functions, such as charging your laptop... charging your racing drone, charging other DJI or other brand drones, powering fishing and camping gear (portable refrigerator, heating and cooling vevarage cups, etc.)

My old powerpack, made in 2021, had very limited functions because the digital chargers that supported these functions at the time were very bulky and there were not many types :(

20230825_123916.JPG
# top view - Beware of very messy desk.
2 ports usb(25w quick charge) and remaining gauge.
Decorative stickers purchased from Redbubble. A ruler was attached beside to the sticker to measure the size. (i'm living in korea, that's why the ruler size is cm. Korea uses MKS units, Not a yard pound)

20230826_234725.JPG
Eating ramen noodles in the field. Very delicious. Ramen and cigarettes? This is the best life!

Detail compare old and new

-----Old 2021-----

Cell = 18650 / 4S 20P

Weight = Max 9Kg

Capacity = Typ. 1000wh (Max 1050Wh)

Function = Only Quick charge for mavic II series.
QC usb(25W) x 2 ports & battery remaining gauge.
6 x Low power output 5.5mm DC connector.

Battery control = BMS, external Balance port

Size = As the data on the size measured at the time was lost, "2021 old products are referred to as 100% size."

-----New 2023-----

Cell = High energy-intensive, Ultra lightweight Lipo(not Lifepo4, LTO! Just Lipo) used in electric vehicles. / 7S 1P

- Generally, 6S is close to the 24v range. However, when starting a 24v vehicle such as a truck or bus, the Alternator's output voltage often exceeds 28v.
Ultimately, this means that 7S also corresponds to the 24v band like 6S, and since 7S has a higher voltage than 6S, the final capacity of 7S is larger. (Remember P=VI)
In addition, when the battery is completely depleted, the discharge termination voltage of 7S is "closer to actual 24v lead-Acid battery" than 6S.

Weight = Max 7.5Kg

-Using AutoCad software, applied a unique design with “case specifications that tight fit 100% of electric vehicle batteries” and used aluminum to reduce weight. (2021 PowerPack is made of steel case)
Additionally, compared to typical 18650, some lithium polymer batteries for electric vehicles have higher energy density and are lighter in weight. (ex: SK RG3 or LGX xxx Product)
20230614_153843.JPG
↑EV cell. 3.7v(full 4.2v) / 57Ah. Weight 730g.

To make the same capacity as the 57Ah at 3500mah 18650, 18 cells are needed. When actually benchmark the 3500mah 18650 at medium or high load, it comes out to about 3350mah. Considering the loss due to multiple cells in series and parallel, it is better to think of it as actually 18 cells.

On the other hand, the actual benchmarking result for the EV cell I have is 57Ah. (I have an EBD-A20H benchmarking tool and a FLUKE 289 tester)
20230826_130729.JPG
↑My 289. Super expensive for hobby :(

A 3500mah cell weighs about 50g, so it is equivalent to 18(cells) x 50(weight)= 900g.

Even thicker nickel welding to discharge the 18650 pack at hundreds of watts, multiple wiring for the balanceing discharge, and use the brackets considering battery cooling make the final weight even heavier.

On the other hand, EV LIPO is very advantageous for weight reduction because it can respond to high-load discharge of hundreds of watts by fastening the terminal using only a piece of aluminum and three M4 standard screws.

The downside is that it is generally difficult to purchase batteries for electric vehicles, and disassembling and reassembling them to meet the desired specifications is a very difficult and arduous task.... :(

Capacity = Typ 1450wh (500W load, example inverter....), Max 1600wh (light load, example drone charging....)

Function = It's practically unlimited.

- Remember that there are many cutting-edge digital chargers on the market that support the DC powersupply function that allows you to freely set the voltage as desired. Additionally, high-power USB PD (65w 100w 120w) modules are sold on Aliexpress.

It's easy to use with just the XT60!

Battery Control = high accuracy digital protector, FET electronic switch.

- Ultra-light, high-capacity electronic switches and high-precision digital protectors can reduce weight by tens to 100 grams compared to using a BMS.
20230805_184813.JPG
↑FET electronic switches. I use "FDBL0065N40"

In addition, even if you use a BMS, the cell balancing capacity of the BMS is very insufficient (generally, they are at the tens of mA level... :( poor!), so... you have to design an external balancing port.

Size = Based on 100% of the 2021 power pack... the 2023 New power pack is about 40% the size.

We can see amazing developments in battery technology!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne