DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My review of the super low cost BRDRC strobe light

Uum might it not be wise to include an actual night time flight, perhaps over the sea well away from light pollution ?

Reactions: hedbonker
Uum might it not be wise to include an actual night time flight, perhaps over the sea well away from light pollution ?
I think the way he tested the drone light, it's likely that a flight over the ocean with no light pollution would probable give an even clearer view of the light beacon. Do you agree?

I myself, usually put 2 to three beacons on my drones when using them, I put different colors on the left, right and rear or front. It helps me know which side of the drone is facing me from far away or when I come in for my night landing.

I think the way he tested the drone light, it's likely that a flight over the ocean with no light pollution would probable give an even clearer view of the light beacon. Do you agree?

I myself, usually put 2 to three beacons on my drones when using them, I put different colors on the left, right and rear or front. It helps me know which side of the drone is facing me from far away or when I come in for my night landing.
It's really the definitive test and the only one that matters,
What can be seen via a camera up close is debatable, they control their exposure too much. E.g. I was unimpressed by their performance in the last clip but that could be down to the camera that shot the video.

The desert test was to ensure that the light meets the FAA requirement. I never fly that far away. 1 mile is probably the maximum distance that I fly.

Three lights for me is my process as well. White rear and red/green facing forward. Not really concerned with mounting any strobe on the top or bottom of my drone. I would prefer not to have my drone reported.

From what I have seen, you can see most any good strobe light for a mile away and in darkness (nighttime) despite red/green being not a visible as white, they don't seem any less dim. So, I don't think you can go wrong with any good strobe light but I prefer to stick with Firehouse or ViFly although I have a handful of the other ones, too.

One point to make out from the video, mentions FAA requirements. This is what it says for commercial pilots and I highlight the important part to remember:

§ 107.29 Operation at night.​

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, no person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system at night unless—
(1) The remote pilot in command of the small unmanned aircraft has completed an initial knowledge test or training, as applicable, under § 107.65 after April 6, 2021; and
(2) The small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles that has a flash rate sufficient to avoid a collision. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of, but may not extinguish, the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so.

(b) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles that has a flash rate sufficient to avoid a collision. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of, but may not extinguish, the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so.