DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My take on the transport case.

SilverMiner67

Reactions
I had this case I bought at Sam's Club a few years ago just because it was so cheap (under $20) and appeared to be pretty good quality. So I customized it with the help of my 3D printer to make a frame to glue rigid foam too so that it will maintain it's shape over time and come apart like the pick apart foam tends to do. Pretty happy with the result, just finished it. I couldn't print the frame as one piece because of size and I had some technical issues in printing so the results aren't perfect, but for the purposes needed it's fine.

It appears that whatever Chinese company made my case is now the supplier for Harbor Freight under the Apache label. They look identical to mine except they have several sizes available (1800,2800, and 3800), but none are exactly the size I have. The 2800 is slightly smaller and the 3800 is slightly larger. Now they are very rugged cases and very reasonably prices ($20 - $40), and claim to be IP-65 rated water tight. However as one member noted, they can leak and so I did a test by submerging a 2800 in my sink overnight and it did appear to let about a teaspoon of water in during that time. Still plenty adequate for general use and transport, but if you are going on a white water rafting adventure, something with a better seal may be worth it to you. I suspect the gasket could be tweaked if needed even then but I digress. I am in the process of printing a new frame for the 2800 size case that will not have a space for the tablet I use but will more easily transportable for it's size. I am just doing it for fun I guess but may decide to sell these cases with my custom inserts if there is a demand.
There's a cubby under the remote control for it's accessories, a cubby for the spare props, custom battery profile cut outs for the spare batts, a few small cubbys I am throwing desicant packs in, and a large area under the tablet, under a panel, to hold the AC charger(s), and the custom tablet mount I also made for the tablet and whatever else.

IMG_20200610_065638.jpgIMG_20200610_065655~2.jpgIMG_20200610_065707~3.jpg

Reactions: coneslayer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost