DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need advices to avoid overexposure on pictures

blount

Reactions
Hi guys,
I got a Mavic 3 and would need some advices to avoid overexposure on my pictures.

Here is a screenshot from a video (in auto mode): there is no overexposure:
BUwC6Ru.jpeg
Whereas the same scene is overexposed if I take a picture (in auto mode):
rDRDAaK.png

To get the exif data, you can download the original file here: DJI_0893.DNG

My questions:
1. why the same scene is great on video but overexposed on picture mode?
2. what should I change to take great pictures as well? Add a ND32 filter? Change something else?

Thanks in advance for your kind help :)

1. why the same scene is great on video but overexposed on picture mode?
Your drone's exposure setting for video and stills are independent.
What you set for video doesn't automatically carry through for shooting stills.
You may have used auto exposure for video but the exposure setting for stills was on manual and the settings ( ISO 100 1/25th at f11) were just wrong for the scene and lighting.

2. what should I change to take great pictures as well? Add a ND32 filter? Change something else?
Adding an ND filter won't do anything to help with your overexposure issue.
All it would do is to cut 97% of the light getting through to your lens which won't help you shooting stills.
Unless you have a particular reason to force a longer shutter speed, there is no reason at all to use an ND filter when shooting stills.

What you should do is check the settings your camera is using for stills because it won't be the same as you set for video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronecation
Welcome!
I looked at the EXIF data and what immediately caught my attention was your exposure was set to 1/25 sec. That is a long exposure. Try setting your exposure to something around 1/250 (just a guess) and/or set exposure to auto and then adjust accordingly.

Without more details about the settings you used for both the video and photo it would be hard to tell why there is a difference (is everything on auto or are you setting the shots manually?).

I would also consider turning on over exposure so you can see zebra strips if you are over exposed.

Stopping down your aperture would be the first step. Down to F8 or even F11.

His aperture was set to F11 (see post #2).
Thanks! I didn't realize that was the settings, I didn't download the EXIF data.

To the OP - I agree with shutter speed comments. 1/25th for shutter is too slow, you want something much faster...start at 1/250th and go from there. Don't mess with ISO - leave it at base, 100.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjrivenbark