DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help with camera settings

jspil

Reactions
Hello, I recently purchased a mavic air and this being my first DJI drone I could use advice on camera settings. I am experienced flying, but not experienced when it comes to photography. Can anyone tell me what the d-cinalike setting is and what it's used for? With my MA I purchased a set of ND filters from Freewell. The set came with ND only filters and ND/CPL filters with a rotating ring on the front. I get that these are neutral density and polarization filters combined. My question is how dose one set the polarization ring to the proper position? Many thanks for any help, I do really appreciate it.

Hello, I recently purchased a mavic air and this being my first DJI drone I could use advice on camera settings. I am experienced flying, but not experienced when it comes to photography. Can anyone tell me what the d-cinalike setting is and what it's used for? With my MA I purchased a set of ND filters from Freewell. The set came with ND only filters and ND/CPL filters with a rotating ring on the front. I get that these are neutral density and polarization filters combined. My question is how dose one set the polarization ring to the proper position? Many thanks for any help, I do really appreciate it.
With the drone upright, rotate the filter ring until the sky is darkened blue.

With my PolarPro polarized filters I just looked through them to see the orientation for max light transmission and installed in that orientation. I then adjust camera settings for exposure, frame rate, etc. Use ISO 100 and 50-60 frame rate on almost everything outdoors.
Note that I use the plain ND filters most of the time and only go to polarized if there’s a lot of water in the shot to decrease reflection from the surface and see into clear water, like a shot of a shallow reef in the ocean or a clear running stream to see the bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSKCKNIT

I started my photos in full auto mode. After you look at the pics, you can check the image info files and see what and where to make changes. I stay away from auto WB for video. Personal preference....

Thanks to all for the advice. I have read some on what polarizing filters are meant to do, but don't see any difference when looking through them. The only time I see any change is when looking at a TV while rotating the outer ring. In that case the image slowly becomes dark until eventually becoming totally dark. I will try pointing the camera straight up and adjusting until the sky becomes dark blue, thanks for that advice. What about the D-Cinalike setting? Dose anyone know what that dose? I do notice video shot using it looks very flat with no depth. Thanks again to all that responded with help.

The best polarization is at 90° to the sun. Form an L with your first finger and thumb. Point your thumb at the sun and the direction your finger is pointing (or 180° opposite) is where the best darkening will be with the polarizer (rotating the polarizer/outer ring around the axis of your finger).

Thanks to all for the advice. I have read some on what polarizing filters are meant to do, but don't see any difference when looking through them. The only time I see any change is when looking at a TV while rotating the outer ring. In that case the image slowly becomes dark until eventually becoming totally dark. I will try pointing the camera straight up and adjusting until the sky becomes dark blue, thanks for that advice. What about the D-Cinalike setting? Dose anyone know what that dose? I do notice video shot using it looks very flat with no depth. Thanks again to all that responded with help.
D-Cinalike uses as flat a color profile as possible for the Air. This essentially shuts down the auto color processing that the Air does automatically. Then this will allow you to create your own color profiles in post processing for a more accurate color profile. It's not exactly the same concept, but a similar concept as shooting still photos in RAW vs. JPEG. In JPEG, your letting the camera software post process the colors of the picture to what the camera thinks is best, in RAW, its flattening out the highs and lows so you can color correct yourself with a larger data file to allow greater detail.

Thank you for the explanation, that makes sense as all the video shot with this setting looked exactly like you explained. I don't have any post production experience nor a program for it yet, so for now I will record with this setting off. Thanks again

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renevista