DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Never fly on the border of a "No Fly Zone"

MPone

Reactions
Recently I was in Seoul/Korea. My hotel is right on the border of a NFZ (see red dot on the map). I was curious whether I could launch my M2P. So I went up to the roof top and tried, surprisingly I managed to start the props and launched. I was happily droning on the south of the NFZ around the Seoul Tower filming to my hearts content.

Then .... when it's time to return, battery < 25%. The M2P stopped short about 30ft from my home point on the roof top :oops:. ****!!! How am I going to land? It won't come in regardless of what I do. At that moment the battery was around 18%. I look around frantically to see where I could find a safe place to land. The area is heavily congested as it is part of downtown. Then I saw an empty roof top nearby and landed the M2P there. But then I had second thoughts after seeing that there is no way I could get access to that roof top. Launched the M2P again, battery is at 12%. My heart was already racing with all the adrenaline. In my mind - "Going to lose the M2P". Batteries now at 10%, forced landing was issued. I tried to throttle up as long as possible while looking for a landing spot. There is a 25ft gap between 2 nearby buildings. That has to be it where there was nothing else. I ran down to street level to get to the spot where I landed. Next problem ... There was no access to that space between the two buildings where there is a 7ft wooden fence front and back. No one around to ask for retrieval permission. So I took a chance, climbed the fence to retrieve it.

This is one lesson I like to share with y'all. Never fly on the border of a NFZ, especially when you can't go forward to retrieve the drone. In my case - the roof top. It was a great relieve after these few minutesof horror :p.

IMG_3848.PNG

Interesting but my first thought was, was the return AGL compatible with height of building you launched from and was the drone returning home at an altitude above the top of building, or would it have just to climb above 400’ to do so? Glad you were still able to retrieve it!

Reactions: MPone
Interesting but my first thought was, was the return AGL compatible with height of building you launched from and was the drone returning home at an altitude above the top of building, or would it have just to climb above 400’ to do so? Glad you were still able to retrieve it!

Yes it's compatible. I made sure my home point was recorded before flying away. And yes the RTH height is higher than the building. I think it's some sort of GPS shift that the border of the NFZ does move a little plus/minus. When I launched it was minus and when I returned it was plus.

My first thought was 'what are you doing flying in downtown Seoul in an obviously built top area?' On top of that deliberately taking off in a NFZ?

I was planning to go out further of the NFZ area knowing I won't be able to fly. But so happen I tried it and it allowed me to fly.

Recently I was in Seoul/Korea. My hotel is right on the border of a NFZ (see red dot on the map). I was curious whether I could launch my M2P. So I went up to the roof top and tried, surprisingly I managed to start the props and launched. I was happily droning on the south of the NFZ around the Seoul Tower filming to my hearts content.

Then .... when it's time to return, battery < 25%. The M2P stopped short about 30ft from my home point on the roof top :oops:. ****!!! How am I going to land? It won't come in regardless of what I do. At that moment the battery was around 18%. I look around frantically to see where I could find a safe place to land. The area is heavily congested as it is part of downtown. Then I saw an empty roof top nearby and landed the M2P there. But then I had second thoughts after seeing that there is no way I could get access to that roof top. Launched the M2P again, battery is at 12%. My heart was already racing with all the adrenaline. In my mind - "Going to lose the M2P". Batteries now at 10%, forced landing was issued. I tried to throttle up as long as possible while looking for a landing spot. There is a 25ft gap between 2 nearby buildings. That has to be it where there was nothing else. I ran down to street level to get to the spot where I landed. Next problem ... There was no access to that space between the two buildings where there is a 7ft wooden fence front and back. No one around to ask for retrieval permission. So I took a chance, climbed the fence to retrieve it.

This is one lesson I like to share with y'all. Never fly on the border of a NFZ, especially when you can't go forward to retrieve the drone. In my case - the roof top. It was a great relieve after these few minutesof horror :p.

View attachment 94348
This story could be a side plot to “Parasite.” It had me in suspense almost as much as that movie.

This story could be a side plot to “Parasite.” It had me in suspense almost as much as that movie.
Yeah, right!?! With a much happier ending. :)

oh man. that sucks. at least you got it back and no one got hurt. maybe the gps was a little off? good to know though. note to self: dont take off on roof tops near a no fly zone!

Doodi.

oh man. that sucks. at least you got it back and no one got hurt. maybe the gps was a little off? good to know though. note to self: dont take off on roof tops near a no fly zone!

Doodi.

It was really a harrowing few minutes. I was lucky to find some safe place to land and was able to retrieve it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143