DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

new drone law - transitional period extension

sunshinewelly

Reactions
I have been busy over the last few months and have been out if the loop on any new drone rules

I understand that the transitional period has been extended to 2026 which as a air2s owner is great news.

what i dont understand is the new rule stating that class marks in the UK are not going to be recognised after January 2023

@sunshinewelly the new Mavic 3 classic has been given a C1 class marking by the EU
but as far as we in the UK are concerned it will still be a legacy drone from the first of January 2023 ,so it will have to be flown either in the A2 with an A2 Cof C or A3 open class rules
all the transitional extension allows ,is for us to continue to fly our heavier than 250g drones under the same rules as we do now ,if you have passed the A2 C of C qualification then that will continue to be recognised ,either until it expires or the first of January 2026 whichever comes first,
of course these facts are always going to be subject to scrutiny and could quite possibly change as time goes on

@sunshinewelly the new Mavic 3 classic has been given a C1 class marking by the EU
but as far as we in the UK are concerned it will still be a legacy drone from the first of January 2023 ,so it will have to be flown either in the A2 with an A2 Cof C or A3 open class rules
all the transitional extension allows ,is for us to continue to fly our heavier than 250g drones under the same rules as we do now ,if you have passed the A2 C of C qualification then that will continue to be recognised ,either until it expires or the first of January 2026 whichever comes first,
of course these facts are always going to be subject to scrutiny and could quite possibly change as time goes on

cheers thats very helpful - yes i have my A2 C of C - passed it this year

Reactions: old man mavic
Thanks for this OMM. Very good to know what I thought might be the case. I haven’t had a bash at A2 C of C and frankly happy to give it a miss for an extended period. Pretty happy with where I can and cannot fly around here.

what i dont understand is the new rule stating that class marks in the UK are not going to be recognised after January 2023
That's the hammer blow that nobody saw coming. Its a major u-turn and really makes only sub 250g drones any use in the UK - you wont be able to enjoy any of the benefits of the class mark system.

Restricted to A2 or A3 if its over 250g.

Not wishing to appear big headed on this forum ,one of the reasons i purchased my Mini 3 was because of the lack of any sign of the DfT and CAA doing anything about setting up the facilities for doing the testing of so called C rated drones ,here in the UK
and i wanted something that i could fly in many more places that the A2/A3 sub categories allowed, and of course with less restrictions on separation from uninvolved people ,and infrastructure
and reading between the lines ,of all the consultations and changes going on ,and the fact that the implementation date was being pushed further and further away ,i reached the conclusion that it would be a long time coming ,before the C rated drones would be available,
so for me logically my only option for having a new drone was the Mini 3
i appreciate that the transitional period has been extended ,which means my MPP will have some more life left in it ,but even then it will still not be able to fly over people intentionally, and have the benefit of the reduced separation that my Mini 3 enjoys,
i do feel sorry for those people who purchased the new Mavic 3 classic ,based on the fact that it had a C1 rating label on it ,and the fact that it will be relegated to the A2/A3 sub category ,at the end of this year,perhaps after all the DfT and CAA will decide that it will be allowed ,to fly with less restrictions, after they have finished their open category review

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom