DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Drone owner

Zer0t

Reactions
I’d like to be a new drone flier. Ive been drone dreaming for years and Santa came early and I received a very generous gift in a Mavic 2 Pro. I’m very excited and will read the manuals from cover-to-cover. I really want to make sure I comply with all regulations, requirements and don’t become a nuisance. I registered my drone as a hobbyist with the FAA, I believe that’s required, and put the registration number on the drone as specified.

I have many concerns about where I can fly (non-restricted areas) and local airports. I live with several miles of two low use small plane airports, one may be helicopters only. According to the FAA I need to notify them when I fly my drone. Do I understand this correctly? One of the airports doesn’t see to have any contact information. Who would be the appropriate person to contact (role)? I’m assuming I need to notify every time I fly? How do I find out about restricted areas? Other than careful practice, being considerate of others, what are the things that I need to do to be a responsible drone owner and operator? I really what to enjoy flying the drone and record video of my surroundings in a safe and responsible manner. I live on Amelia Island FL if anyone is familiar with that area.

Thanks in advance for any pointers, advice help. I know I’m asking a lot and I hope when I become experienced so that I’ll be able to help newbs like myself in the future.

There is certainly a lot to learn if you wish to remain within regulations. Although most hobbyists don't use VFR charts, I would recommend learning how to read them. They are free in digital form from the FAA HERE. It's not difficult, but you have to know what you're looking at. It IS very possible that DJI's app will let you lift off in surface airspace (I did it last week with appropriate authorization under Part 107) as well as other areas that are unsafe for flight, so do not depend on any app to keep you safe. Regulations are currently being changed, but you are still required to notify airports within 5 miles of your activity. You are allowed to have an "understanding" with them, so you do not have to notify them every single time you fly. If they object to your flight then it's not a good idea to fly there. AIRMAP is a good app to have and there are other tools out there to help you stay safe, but ultimately you are personally responsible for your actions. Also, if you wish to sell or give any media to someone for commercial use, a Part 107 Certification is required.

Thank you for the response. I have no intention to sell any media or anything else. Personal enjoyment and sharing with friends.

I will contact local airports—I’m not sure one is active—and see how they feel about it.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Thank you for the response. I have no intention to sell any media or anything else. Personal enjoyment and sharing with friends.

I will contact local airports—I’m not sure one is active—and see how they feel about it.
If the two low use small plane airports do not have a control tower, you will have to call them to find out which nearby airport controls their airspace, and contact that airport' tower.

If the two low use small plane airports do not have a control tower, you will have to call them to find out which nearby airport controls their airspace, and contact that airport' tower.
Thanks will do. I have emailed the respective managers to get an understanding of the process.

Welcome to Mavicpilots.com. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Best regards and good luck,

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini