DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic right out of the box......do I update?

98 SNAKE EATER

Reactions
My Mavic is scheduled to arrive sometime today (can't wait)

I'm a little boggled by all the updates on firmware though....

Should I update or stick with whatever it comes with?

If you fly with a phone attached to the remote it'll probably bug you to update. I haven't had any problems w/ the updates, I suppose you may but odds are normally against it - sometimes updates for electronics can be bad, normally they are good. There's a thread on the board about a recent update, read through it if you're concerned.

It might not be a bad time to get it all updated so that you can work on any settings changes you want afterwards, and not have to go through it all again if a forced update erases them.

Reactions: EJay
I have always updated and had no problems or the urge to return to older versions. The .1000 version mentions better picture quality confirmed by some reviews. I'm looking forward to a break in wind and rain for testing.

I think DJI only do updates for good reason - to improve the product (Features, safety etc) so I go with the flow and so far so good. (Some will not agree. I use Apple, but Android users have noted problems in the past)

My other advice is to start steady and grow at your own pace.
Some have made the mistake of starting carefully inside, but you need those outdoor satellites (I like to see 9 before take off) for stability. Open space much better too. Re-scan the manual again after a few flights because you always learn something extra, especially the Return To Home stuff.

My 2 day rule: Promise yourself no "bad incidents" in the first 2 days. It seems that is the high chance zone! Be overly cautious. Everything starts new and uncertain but you will soon work through that.

You will have heaps of fun!

Reactions: MavicCpl15
If it prompts you to update, I'd update. However, there is a good chance it will already have the latest update on it.

Some have made the mistake of starting carefully inside, but you need those outdoor satellites (I like to see 9 before take off) for stability. Open space much better too. Re-scan the manual again after a few flights because you always learn something extra, especially the Return To Home stuff.

In my experience with the old F550 Hex, flying inside without satellites was much harder than actually flying outdoors lol

Anyways, my new Mavic arrived a few hours ago and I'm in the middle of charging it up and getting the app loaded.

Should be taking off in a couple of hours (weather permitting)

Quick question on the fly more combo.

Does the charging hub charge multiple batteries any faster than using it to charge a single battery?

In my experience with the old F550 Hex, flying inside without satellites was much harder than actually flying outdoors lol

Anyways, my new Mavic arrived a few hours ago and I'm in the middle of charging it up and getting the app loaded.

Should be taking off in a couple of hours (weather permitting)

Quick question on the fly more combo.

Does the charging hub charge multiple batteries any faster than using it to charge a single battery?

No. To help you get in the air the quickest, the "fullest" battery gets charged first, then the next and so on.
Only one at a time is charged in sequence. Just plug them all in and it works it out.

A Flight through the Workshop using the Mavic will show a far steadier view. (Tripod Mode is also there if you want to be super stable)

A Flight through the Workshop using the Mavic will show a far steadier view. (Tripod Mode is also there if you want to be super stable)

I flew through the house earlier today, but wasn't able to turn on the tripod mode for some reason

When I clicked on it while on the ground, it said I needed to be in the air.

When I tried to click on it in the air, the icon was dim and wouldn't let me click on it :confused:

Anyways, here's some footage of my 2nd and 3rd flight :)

Thanks

I definitely have to work on the transitions though

The editing software I'm using doesn't like these huge files and the preview screen is a bit laggy, which forces me to do a bunch of pre-rendering.

Didn't bother with this one and just threw it together

Another flying through my shop a few hours ago:

I did finally get tripod mode to work on my last flight too :cool:

Very steady compared to the previous machine! How tech progresses for us. You are obviously not a novice pilot. I still have a few "wrong direction" steering errors. Thanks for the tours...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman