DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot in Wolverine Lake, Michigan, USA, Earth "On Stuart Lake" with a happy hello

Sputterwall

Reactions
I am actually now a bit of an experienced pilot - I bought my drone back in June and it is now September as I post this. I am currently awaiting a replacement drone on the wonderful DJI Refresh program, and this will be the second time I have sent my baby into DJI after a crash.

I happen to live in an apartment on a property which has an exceptional access to some very interesting features. I have virtually exclusive access to a small lake which is populated with lots of fish of varying sizes, and turtles ranging in size up to about 3 ft across. Prior to getting my drone I had, over the past 3 years of living here, spent lots of time on the one spot where you could sit at the edge of this lake and watch things. I could rarely get glimpses of the turtles. I could see the smaller ones if they climbed up on logs and such, and took lots of zoom pictures of them that way, but I was mostly just aware of them without being able to actually see very much of them, especially the larger ones.

So then once I got my Mavic Air 2, I found I was able to, on a nice clear sunny day, get over the top of this lake and see what the bigger turtles were doing out in the lake - and CLEARLY, and in a way I could watch over and over and pick out details of what was happening. I found that I suddenly can really study and get to know this community that I am sort of a part of now. It has really been an incredible few months, which promises to continue shortly. As I said, my drone is in the process of getting replaced, so now I am spending time going back through the hours of video I have shot. I honestly feel like I am using my drone in a fairly unique way, however I look forward to seeing what others on this forum do with their drones.

Now I would like to present to all here the first playlist of videos I have posted on YouTube. This demonstrates what I am doing, and it is easy to understand how this footage could never be captured in any other way - this wonderful stuff is totally enabled by having a drone, and this is becoming a rather joyous endeavor on my part. I still want to figure out how to plug in some kind of sound to these videos - I know how to do it technically, but I can't figure out anything that feels appropriate along with these situations. So if anyone has any ideas, I'd happily listen. In the meantime, without further ado:

On Stuart Lake video playlist

Thanks, and I look forward to learning lots more about drone capabilities and tricks and such, while bringing a bit of my world into this world. :) For instance, I already have a drone recovery kit which includes a 30+ ft. extendable painter's pole and an inflatable rowboat. Trees and lakes and streams, Oh My!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of support and guidance. We look forward to seeing the view of your world.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

:) For instance, I already have a drone recovery kit which includes a 30+ ft. extendable painter's pole and an inflatable rowboat. Trees and lakes and streams, Oh My!

I also have a crash/recovery history from my first 3 months of Mavic ownership that I can talk about. I am pretty good at recovery as well as avoidance while undertaking dangerous challenges (dangerous to the DRONE, NEVER to any PEOPLE!!!). I got the pole at Home Depot, 8' extendable out to 24', and then I have accessories that can act as grabbers or extend even longer, and I once used it at around 30' plus I am 6'+ so getting about 35' up and still only able to shake the branch below to knock it down. That time I broke the gimbal but was able to glue it back together and had it working great. Then a bit later I was up high playing with speed in Sport mode, but was not high enough and slammed into a treetop at over 30mph. DJI actually repaired it under warranty that time - I think DJI is pretty great as a company, by the way. Then after I had it back I was playing with side panning over my lake, I miscalculated and got snared in a tree. Sad part was, no way to get there on foot. So I bought an inflatable rowboat and went and got my baby back without even needing the pole, just patience and good tree climbing skills. And then finally, I was getting some close-in stuff over this odd stream nearby, I somehow missed something overhead and caught a little branch, but then in that tight space it tried to recover (I have seen it do it's recovery thing before) but hit another branch and ended up upside down in this sort of gushy area. I got it back with some effort, cleaned it, made sure any water could drain, gave it a day to dry in case, but on testing it acts up with sensor failures and bottom light stuck on and gimbal off center and humming, so... Replacement time! So happy I signed up for that program, and that they have it! So end of story I am currently awaiting my replacement ?

Last edited:
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78