DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot - Looking for practical criticism of video

Tarvinder

Reactions
Hi, so this is actually the second video I filmed on my Mavic Air which I recently purchased.
Edited using Adobe Premier Elements (user friendly, relatively nice and easy for a beginner to use).
I had a problem where the drone failed to fly in a straight line so I will try to calibrate the IMU prior to next flight. You will see where this caused an issue in the video.

Looking forward to practical criticism as I will be going back to film in the same location at some point, I ran out of 2 batteries while filming, there was a lot more I wanted to capture.

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

Recommend keeping the video to 4 minutes or less based on forum viewing statistics.

Reactions: zeusfl
Happy to give you some constructive criticism. Gonna start with a strong positive. You seem to have paid attention to shooting into "balanced light" so that your skies would expose well with your ground.... very nice. Also there isn't a lot of "searching for a shot" shown in the video. Many folks still film their "searching/scouting" shots and then use them in the edit. Now to the criticisms - remember all this is to help make you a better shooter! :) So #1 I see a lot of "flashing" happening. This is either coming from micro adjustments to exposure caused by having the drone in an Auto exposure mode, or moire. Also I was getting some weird stutter/frame skipping. This could totally be YouTube but it could also be shooting in a different fps than your project was made in. Third is "video composition" Composition is important to video just as much as photography. Last I'll mention duration and pacing/rhythm. The video is a bit long. I'd actually recommend keeping it under 2 minutes unless you've got something spectacular to show.
Now tips addressing each issue... Flashing: Shoot in manual. This eliminates micro adjustments happening in the clip. Moire, don't shoot over-sharp, shoot neutral to soft, sharpen in post. The sharpening "in drone" is artificial Premiere will do a much better job sharpening your video. Frame skipping / stutter: shoot with a shutter speed apx. 2x your fps, 30fps would mean 1/60th shutter speed (or just under or over depending on what is available) - if your lighting won't allow that shutter speed, add ND filters until it's as close as possible. There are times to break that rule but start by using it - then break it. Make sure you edit your project in the same fps it was shot and don't mix fps. Otherwise the app will need to calculate frame-blending which isn't optimal. Once you've seen it you can not un see it and you'll notice it in news footage from now on. (I recently did VFX on a project and rendered the VFX at a different frame rate than the project - big big big stupid mistake had to do all the animation over at the correct rate - so pay attention to that! lol). Composition. When possible stop each clip on a completed composition, not after the composition is passed. You can start on an incomplete composition but with the subject either already in frame or slowly emerging or appearing, but grabbing the attention as early in the clip as possible. As a general rule unless you are ending the video, or changing subjects, don't "leave" the subject at the end of a clip. I think you had a pass at the first building that ended with the building exiting the frame at the bottom, then the same building appears in the next clip. Simply using that "exit" for the last clip of the building would tell the "story" better. The exit on the frame is the punctuation at the end of a sentence so also consider how the subject exits. Is it a "?" a "." or a "!".... Flight tips for "easy" composition... Lower.... Slower (usually not always). Also flying through frames... So setup a composition that is framed by objects on the left and right then fly through that frame, towards the subject, to reveal a second even more satisfying composition (hard to find and set up but such an "ah-ha" shot!) You can also rise-up /fall-down to provide that sort of reveal. Last point, pacing, choose clips that match the pace and feel of your music of vice-versa. You did that well in a few spots and I'm sure you can "feel" how nice that works. When you get that synergy it's super satisfying.

I generally don't post much "drone only" work - my work is usually with a small team and the drone footage is only a part of the entire video. But here's a recent piece as I don't feel it is fair to offer a criticism without showing one's own work. You'll even see where the editor took some of my wire-cam footage (all interiors that look "drone" are a camera on a wire rig) shot at 30fps and retimed it poorly and caused stuttering (grr) but when you work on a collaboration as a DP or CameraOp (both in this case) you aren't directing, producing, or approving the edit - so stuff happens! I'm not a fan of the animation either but overall it's a nice piece.

Good luck and keep filming! building those skills is so rewarding!!

Reactions: Modra and darvirz
Tarvinder - nice to have you on the forum. You're brave to open yourself to criticism, but it really does help make improvements. Barton 73 has given you a great, helpful response. I'm conscious of the old expression that 'people who live in glass houses...etc' - but I will offer a couple of suggestions. Before I do, I'd echo the points about some great work on your lighting and overall exposures.

Now - one thing that did stand out for me was the fact that your shots are taken from a rapidly moving platform much of the time. I know that there's a fear of spending too long on any view, but it's generally better to move slowly and smoothly. If you're worried about the time spent in any shot - just cut it back a bit. i.e. spend less time on that particular view. I too tend to abbreviate videos by cutting between sections of the same shot, editing out portions, but you can only do it so much before your audience feels it has seen enough. Better a shorter, attention-grabbing video than one that people cut short and leave. You've got some quality footage in there - and you're clearly in control of your drone. I'm looking forward to more videos.....

Happy to give you some constructive criticism. Gonna start with a strong positive. You seem to have paid attention to shooting into "balanced light" so that your skies would expose well with your ground.... very nice. Also there isn't a lot of "searching for a shot" shown in the video. Many folks still film their "searching/scouting" shots and then use them in the edit. Now to the criticisms - remember all this is to help make you a better shooter! :) So #1 I see a lot of "flashing" happening. This is either coming from micro adjustments to exposure caused by having the drone in an Auto exposure mode, or moire. Also I was getting some weird stutter/frame skipping. This could totally be YouTube but it could also be shooting in a different fps than your project was made in. Third is "video composition" Composition is important to video just as much as photography. Last I'll mention duration and pacing/rhythm. The video is a bit long. I'd actually recommend keeping it under 2 minutes unless you've got something spectacular to show.
Now tips addressing each issue... Flashing: Shoot in manual. This eliminates micro adjustments happening in the clip. Moire, don't shoot over-sharp, shoot neutral to soft, sharpen in post. The sharpening "in drone" is artificial Premiere will do a much better job sharpening your video. Frame skipping / stutter: shoot with a shutter speed apx. 2x your fps, 30fps would mean 1/60th shutter speed (or just under or over depending on what is available) - if your lighting won't allow that shutter speed, add ND filters until it's as close as possible. There are times to break that rule but start by using it - then break it. Make sure you edit your project in the same fps it was shot and don't mix fps. Otherwise the app will need to calculate frame-blending which isn't optimal. Once you've seen it you can not un see it and you'll notice it in news footage from now on. (I recently did VFX on a project and rendered the VFX at a different frame rate than the project - big big big stupid mistake had to do all the animation over at the correct rate - so pay attention to that! lol). Composition. When possible stop each clip on a completed composition, not after the composition is passed. You can start on an incomplete composition but with the subject either already in frame or slowly emerging or appearing, but grabbing the attention as early in the clip as possible. As a general rule unless you are ending the video, or changing subjects, don't "leave" the subject at the end of a clip. I think you had a pass at the first building that ended with the building exiting the frame at the bottom, then the same building appears in the next clip. Simply using that "exit" for the last clip of the building would tell the "story" better. The exit on the frame is the punctuation at the end of a sentence so also consider how the subject exits. Is it a "?" a "." or a "!".... Flight tips for "easy" composition... Lower.... Slower (usually not always). Also flying through frames... So setup a composition that is framed by objects on the left and right then fly through that frame, towards the subject, to reveal a second even more satisfying composition (hard to find and set up but such an "ah-ha" shot!) You can also rise-up /fall-down to provide that sort of reveal. Last point, pacing, choose clips that match the pace and feel of your music of vice-versa. You did that well in a few spots and I'm sure you can "feel" how nice that works. When you get that synergy it's super satisfying.

I generally don't post much "drone only" work - my work is usually with a small team and the drone footage is only a part of the entire video. But here's a recent piece as I don't feel it is fair to offer a criticism without showing one's own work. You'll even see where the editor took some of my wire-cam footage (all interiors that look "drone" are a camera on a wire rig) shot at 30fps and retimed it poorly and caused stuttering (grr) but when you work on a collaboration as a DP or CameraOp (both in this case) you aren't directing, producing, or approving the edit - so stuff happens! I'm not a fan of the animation either but overall it's a nice piece.

Good luck and keep filming! building those skills is so rewarding!!
Hey, thanks so much for taking the time and effort to provide so much valuable guidance.
It's all new to me, so much to learn, a number of items you mention I am not familiar with but it has really made me curious to research and figure it out.
I probably won't get this right by the time I shoot and edit my next couple of videos but will certainly begin to take the advice on board and hopefully gradually improve. Once again, I really appreciate the support. Thank You.

Tarvinder - nice to have you on the forum. You're brave to open yourself to criticism, but it really does help make improvements. Barton 73 has given you a great, helpful response. I'm conscious of the old expression that 'people who live in glass houses...etc' - but I will offer a couple of suggestions. Before I do, I'd echo the points about some great work on your lighting and overall exposures.

Now - one thing that did stand out for me was the fact that your shots are taken from a rapidly moving platform much of the time. I know that there's a fear of spending too long on any view, but it's generally better to move slowly and smoothly. If you're worried about the time spent in any shot - just cut it back a bit. i.e. spend less time on that particular view. I too tend to abbreviate videos by cutting between sections of the same shot, editing out portions, but you can only do it so much before your audience feels it has seen enough. Better a shorter, attention-grabbing video than one that people cut short and leave. You've got some quality footage in there - and you're clearly in control of your drone. I'm looking forward to more videos.....
That's valuable advice, even when watching some of it myself I did wonder why I had not incorporated less movement. Definitely something I will keep in mind for the future. Thank you for the advice and guidance, I appreciate it.

Reactions: Garatshay
Happy to give some feedback, but I’ll keep mine simple.

1. When editing your footage, delete the portion of your film where the drone is accelerating/decelerating particularly from/to 0 mph. To examples in your video are at:
- 10secs to 11sec
- 24sec to 26 sec

2. When editing your footage, remove all of those “fade to black” transitions between each clip. Keep transitions to an absolute minimum, unless you’re “Kold” (a transition legend).

3. When filming, try to use BOTH sticks sometimes (and the gimbal tilt), for variety. Currently you are flying forward OR backwards OR up OR down OR sidewards. Mix them together!

4. Be ruthless when editing and shorten the video. If the video is slow/boring, particularly within the first 30 seconds, your viewers will leave.

That said, it was a very good first video. Well done. Looking forward to seeing your next one.

1. When editing your footage, delete the portion of your film where the drone is accelerating/decelerating particularly from/to 0 mph. To examples in your video are at:
- 10secs to 11sec
- 24sec to 26 sec

2. When editing your footage, remove all of those “fade to black” transitions between each clip. Keep transitions to an absolute minimum, unless you’re “Kold” (a transition legend).

3. When filming, try to use BOTH sticks sometimes (and the gimbal tilt), for variety. Currently you are flying forward OR backwards OR up OR down OR sidewards. Mix them together!

4. Be ruthless when editing and shorten the video. If the video is slow/boring, particularly within the first 30 seconds, your viewers will leave.

That said, it was a very good first video. Well done. Looking forward to seeing your next one.
Hey Terry, thanks for taking the time to feedback.
1. Good point, I'll have this in mind next time.
2. This one is going to be tough, for some reason I quite like the fade to black, what could I use instead, rather than a snapshot change?
3. Will try this, just getting used to the controls...
4. Point taken, I'll try keep my next video under 2 mins.
Appreciate the great advice...

Hey Terry, thanks for taking the time to feedback.
1. Good point, I'll have this in mind next time.
2. This one is going to be tough, for some reason I quite like the fade to black, what could I use instead, rather than a snapshot change?
3. Will try this, just getting used to the controls...
4. Point taken, I'll try keep my next video under 2 mins.
Appreciate the great advice...
There are no hard and fast rules, but transitions are almost always used to signify “something”. For example
- “fade to black” = end of a video
- “waves lines” = you’re in a dream
- “white flash” = a past event or memory
Etc

In travel videos, you could use a transition to signify that you’re changing locations (eg video is from New York to Chicago).

That said, some people ignore this “rule” and use transitions at the end of every clip, simply because they like the look. Viewers don’t appear to like it, but heck, it’s your movie and maybe you’ll start a new trend. :)

I prefer a crossfade transition rather than a fade in/fade out for most applications, but you can mix it up. The crossfade is much smoother, especially when not making a major transition to another subject altogether. Your first transition actually works nicely because there is a distinct music change there, but most others would have benefited from smoother cuts, IMO. Quicker transitions also emphasize cuts on the beat of the music. Shorter clips would have worked better, particularly cutting out some footage where it appears you stopped abruptly to avoid getting too close to a tree or adjusted your gimbal or yaw. It’s usually better to edit out those adjustments unless they are very subtle and smooth. As noted, when you get to a nicely framed shot, cut away from there, not beyond it, unless you’re doing an intentional flyby. Overall length is essential. Rarely is much more than two minutes necessary. I’m still learning a lot, but here is one of my videos where I’ve followed some of the advice above that I’ve learned from people here.

Well, you are certainly brave when it comes to trees - me and them things have history.......

Lovely time of day to shoot!

My editing workflow tends to be
1 - cut out all the stuff I don't want to use, especially when the drone is getting into position.
2 - group similar shots together to delete similar or duplicates and choose the best shot.
3 - assemble to make some sort of logical sequence or story. I often start with an ascending shot, and close with a descending one.
4 - Once assembled to tell a story, be ruthless cutting stuff that's too long, and in movement shots cut any non - movement. With drone footage, there needs to be some movement. Either the drone moving, or the drone static and subject moving. Or both!

I would say that I find a mixture of footage from various sources works extremely well, and there are some good examples in this section of the forum. I've taken to making video's exploring subjects using an action cam on my bike and drone shots. Pleased with the results. But it could be any mix, such as stills and drone,

- 10secs to 11sec
- 24sec to 26 sec

Good tip on not using many transitions.

Looking forward to practical criticism as I will be going back to film in the same location at some point, I ran out of 2 batteries while filming, there was a lot more I wanted to capture.
Hi Tarvinder,
Especially Barton73, and also Terry and others have already said everyting about how to improve your video skills!
I dared to play around a littel bit with your video. I hope you don´t mind?
I removed all the black dissolves and replaced them with cross dissolves. I also did choose a better fitting music! Some of the shots I reversed them!
I hope that helps you to inhance your future videos?
cheers Paul
BTW, why did you upload your video in a low quality? Maybe you don´t know that in Youtube you can upload in 1080p or even better in 4k

I dared to play around a littel bit with your video. I hope you don´t mind?
I removed all the black dissolves and replaced them with cross dissolves. I also did choose a better fitting music! Some of the shots I reversed them!
Great edit Jack! Much improved on the original. I really like the clips that you reversed, with the manor being “revealed” in each. ?. Shortening the video to speed it up and removing those “fade to blacks” also helped a lot.

Great edit Jack! Much improved on the original. I really like the clips that you reversed, with the manor being “revealed” in each. ?. Shortening the video to speed it up and removing those “fade to blacks” also helped a lot.
Hi Terry, thanks for the nice feedback...Well I tried to do the best with the clips I had? I think it´s really much better to reverse certain clips. It looks better and doen´t reveal everyting in the beginning of the clip. Unfortunately one can see a ton of videos where it´s the contrary!
have a nice evening down under, ?Cheers Paul
BTW, a friend of mine lives nearby to Sydney...In Engadine!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo