DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New rules clarification regarding "recreational areas".

bronxx

Reactions
Hi.

New user, really happy to become a part of this community. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute and maybe even help someone one day. ??

I've got a quick question about new rules. They are all clear to me, fully understood, registered, took the test, I'd like to take my Mini for a spin in my neighborhood park.

Now, how do we understand local rules in light of new regulations? I live in Bedfordshire, and to my knowledge all parks in this county are banning drones from being used in them, same with Bucks and all the other neighbouring areas.

Could anyone clarify this for me (us)?

Kind regards

Martin

all i can suggest is that you contact your local council, and ask them if they are aware of the new rules governing drones being classified by weight and the danger they might have to persons or property ,you could always be proactive and print out the new drone code, and drone categories
so as to educate them

Reactions: bronxx
It would be surprising if there were a County- wide ban on drone flying in parks as there is not longer a single Council for the whole County and even when there was a County Council responsibility for parks rested with the local Distrct Councils and Boroughs.

if there is such a ban it would be laid down by Bye-laws.

As a general rule, Landowners do NOT have the power to prohibit overflying on their land although overflying does not include landing or taking off. That general rule could be modified by byelaws which Councils, and some other bodies, have powers to make.

One of the other bodies that can make Bye-laws is the National Trust which does seek to prohibit overflying by Drones.

i am aware that the guidance to Police says (rightly) that drones are prohibited from flying in congested areas and then adds

Congested Area’ in relation to a city, town or settlement, means any area which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes’

The prohibition against flying in congested areas is contained in the Air Navigation Order and is therefore part of the law of the land . The italicised words are taken from guidance issued by the CAA and is NOT a binding statement of the law. Nevertheless, Parks are places where you might expect to find the public enjoying recreation so you should avoid overflying them and maintain adequate separation distances.

As a general rule, Landowners do NOT have the power to prohibit overflying on their land although overflying does not include landing or taking off. That general rule could be modified by byelaws which Councils, and some other bodies, have powers to make.
This is true, but you could not take off/land in a park if it was designated through local restrictions, fly over sure... this would apply to ALL R/C aircraft, not just "drones", I think people forget this part sometimes. Technically, with these types of "bans" at many local parks you can't even take your $49 Slow Flyer airplane out to fly. :-(

Hi.

New user, really happy to become a part of this community. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute and maybe even help someone one day. ??

I've got a quick question about new rules. They are all clear to me, fully understood, registered, took the test, I'd like to take my Mini for a spin in my neighborhood park.

Now, how do we understand local rules in light of new regulations? I live in Bedfordshire, and to my knowledge all parks in this county are banning drones from being used in them, same with Bucks and all the other neighbouring areas.

Could anyone clarify this for me (us)?

Kind regards

Martin
Remember that the rules (particularly for small drones like the mini) have just changed.
Previously you couldn't fly any drone in a built-up area which included parks within towns and cities.
Now you can fly small drones even in built-up areas.

So as long as there's not a specific law or CAA no fly zone preventing you from flying in your local park you should be good to go.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spitspin